audio interface question

banjoze

Inspired
I made an interesting discovery tonight.

I've been running the output1 to the line input on my Line6 Toneport UX2 and from there to my ART SLA1 amp to my studio monitors.. I do this so I can play along with ripped music on the computer, etc. However, running this way I'm constantly fighting some sort of buzzy sound artifact - and, as a result, tweaking levels, drive, master, and the volume on the Toneport UX2 trying to make it go away...

Tonight I bypassed the Toneport and plugged straight into the SLA1 monitor. Bingo, no artifact. There was the absolutely gorgeous tone I've been hearing from clips posted here...

So, I'm curious if anyone knows what is causing the artifacts??? This all the more interesting to me as I hear the exact same artifacts when I run straight to our digital Yamaha PA and from there into an Aviom system at our church. Maybe if I can figure this out for home I can fix it there as well...

Anyone else dealt with this?
Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it?

(btw, Cliff the clean tones on the Deluxe Fender are to die for... NICE work!)

Thanks,
-Gerald

Re: audio interface question Ton

Quick update on this. I was testing this using the Deluxe Reverb and Double Reverb set pretty clean (ie. drive low, master pretty high). When I crank the drive up, I still hear some of the artifacts from before, even when bypassing the Toneport. Neither the Axe nor my SLA1 registering any clipping when I'm hearing this...

So, while it's better without the Toneport, it's still there. No idea why.

Hi

strangely I have been having a similar issue today as well.

I have found 2 causes of strange noises coming thru my monitors

1 - Im using dynaudio BM5a monitors with an echo audiofire 4 interface. The interface sits right next to the monitors. Some of the noise was generated by the interface being in close proximity to the monitors. I cant do much about this so Im not too worried by it.

2 - I was getting a strange rhythmic ticking noise today which I could not identify until I switched my laptop from mains power to battery and bingo the noise was gone. I think its the power supply unit (dell)

might be worth a look for your issue
cheers

From the sound of it I don't think we are having the same issue.

I used to have similar issues to your "ticking" on my old Dell Inspiron. It turned out to be a ground loop problem. Running off of the battery eliminates the power cord which is likely contributing to a ground problem (at least it was for me).

Back
Top Bottom