Audio interface question

kellyg

Need an audio interface so I can run sound from my computer and axe fx to my studio monitors at the same time. Just wondering what everybody uses before I make a purchase. Do I need a 2 in 2 out? I hate having to turn on my axe fx just to listen to youtube, So i've been just using my imac speakers:nightmare:

Thanks in advance

I use a Focusrite Saffire 40. Very nice using Mix Control Software that comes with it as you can easily create your monitor mix without effecting your record level. Also great for finishing up 44.1 projects as the Ax is 48k.

Also have a Babyface RME. Pricey for 2 channels but nice.

Pick up any 2x2 interface that you can achieve low latency with. I have the Saffire 40 as well, but started out with a ProFire 610 and it was more than sufficient for what you're wanting to do.

There are LOTS of 2x2 options out there. The trick will be optimizing it for low latency recordings and playback. USB can be finicky if you don't have a dedicated bus for it, but the same can be said for FireWire. I ended up getting a separate PC card for my laptop so I could ensure a dedicated FireWire bus for my interface. No problems since then with any FireWire interface I've connected to my DAW laptop.

Good luck!

Sorry to say...but the cheaper it is, well you get what you pay for. What's your budget, if any? As EJ said there are tons of options.......................

And as MWD said, the RME stuff is great-great drivers...but $$$........W

The price of a sound card PER INPUT depends on the quality of its preamps and converters. Most modern sound cards (especially cheap ones, but not only) are total crap in terms of signal to noise ratio, sometimes so poor that they are no better than 16 bit while being technically 24. You can get clipping on instrument inputs with active pickups, or lots of noise on mic preamps. Often their line inputs go through mic preamps with a pad, which introduces noise. Sound card manufacturers don't really make either converters or preamps. And no brand can guarantee anything. The trend is to use cheaper crappier stuff even for the more expensive stuff.

That being said, it may not matter to you at all, but that depends on how you're going to use it. If you aren't going to record DI signal connecting your guitar directly to the sound card, or use its mic preamps, or do any serious recording/reamping, then just don't worry about it, choose a sound card that has stable drivers for whatever OS you're going to use and is convenient for your purposes. If you just use it to connect your Axe's line outputs to the card's line inputs, all the important conversion will be done by the Axe, so getting an expensive sound card (read - paying a lot of money for mic preamps) is just a waste.

If for whatever reason you want to go with Firewire, do check how it works with your computer - you can get tons of headache with it. If you're not sure, just avoid it.

With regard to latency, as long as the sound card has hardware monitoring, don't worry about it. Unless you plan to do recording/reamping/live processing.

OK-I use an echo Layla3G which I love (internal PCI card and external interface). I also have a roland octa capture which is USB...both are 8/8.
The Roland 2/2 capture uses the same drivers ....I have no issues using the roland with my desktop or laptop. But I am on windows. It's made for both.

Most good companies have a 2/2. As mentioned, it's all about the drivers.

I personally have two sound cards - a MOTU Microbook II, USB bus powered (which means crap by definition, its just not theoretically possible to make a good card with 5V power), and a MOTU Ultralite 896 Mk3 or some such nonsensical name, which is better, but still nothing special in terms of quality - I suspect that instead of proper line inputs it just pads the signal and passes it through mediocre mic preamps. The former is used for live playback sometimes, and nothing else. The latter is basically my home digital mixer, I chose it for connectivity and looks. Both have crappy Windows drivers and like to crash when connected to some USB 3 ports. Be cautious with MOTU if you use Windows. With all these drawbacks, I'm pretty happy with both overall though. This is just to illustrate that a even a crappy tool may be fine if you use it properly.

Oh, and if you try to determine which card to buy by asking what everybody's using AND you're asking it from a US based audience you'll end up with a Focusrite. Some of their cards are okay, some are total trash. But they spend money on endorsers very effectively, that's for sure.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 here, simple, solid and dependable. Been using it for 4 years and it's still a currrent model available from Focusrite.

Back
Top Bottom