Audio interface or axe fx II

Nirco

Hello, i got an axe fx mk2 capule a weeks ago, and i also have Rme hdsp 9632 audio interface.
And i just cant decide whether to use the axe through spdif to rme, or to use the axe as main audio interface.
According to your guys experience which is the best method ?

Thanks.

my thoughts are that if your audio interface provides you with more flexibility in the work flow then use that as the audio card. The AxeFX is pretty specific about how it uses the channels...

If you have a new fast Mac running your DAW, I recommend using your RME as main output interface, but make your input device an Aggregate, using both your AXE FX and RME, then you can also use the USB audio capabilities of your AXE.

Thanks for the fast replies,
So if i understand right there is no major different between both of the methods cause both are digital.?
Although i do notice that if the axe is connect directly to the speaker monitors
Its sound and feel little better

If you connect your Axe to your RME via S/DIF you will get the lower latency that the RME can supply.

I use that to track with plugins in my DAW. YMMV.

I find that if I use the Axe as my interface it SOUNDS better, but I get way more skipping and other audio artifacts. I'm not even using an interface as nice as the RME (M-Audio ProFire2626) and the DAW processing is still smoother with my dedicated audio interface.

It's a pickle.

I find that if I use the Axe as my interface it SOUNDS better, but I get way more skipping and other audio artifacts. I'm not even using an interface as nice as the RME (M-Audio ProFire2626) and the DAW processing is still smoother with my dedicated audio interface.

It's a pickle.
You might need to adjust your buffer settings...

The latency in the rme is very low, it can go down without any issues. Its a very solid piece of gear.
But all the messin around with two devices
Especially for reamping and stuff really giving me a hard time.

I'm thinking about selling the RME, but my concern is whether the axeFX can handle with heavy projects or it just depends on the PC?

Why should i worry about buffer if the axe connected straight to the monitors?

In theory you shouldn't have to worry about it, as long as you mute the track you're recording to.

My problem is probably that I had the buffer size set too low (because I wasn't paying attention).

Depends on what you are monitoring. For live monitoring your guitar tones directly from the Axe II, there's no effect at all. The grid audio stream goes straight to the D/A converters and to your monitors. However, when trying to software monitor feeds from the PC, the buffer settings will affect the round trip latency.

Direct monitoring looks like this:
Guitar > Axe A/D > Grid processing > Axe D/A > monitors

Software monitoring via USB looks like this:
Guitar > Axe A/D > Grid processing > USB input drivers (buffer delay) > DAW processing path (PC CPU/RAM load) > USB output drivers (buffer delay) > Axe D/A > monitors

If you use the Axe as your primary interface, it'll have to be powered on to hear PC audio. That's one reason I don't use it as such. However, I assume you're not using it for recording if you plan on connecting it directly to your monitors. That said, if you're using it in conjunction with a PC for recording, I'd use the Axe to record dry tracks via USB (for reamping) and the RME as the primary interface via SPDIF.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom