Audio interface for AX8

sprada

Inspired
Hi good people.

Asking for suggestions for an audio interface for the AX8.
I'm a total noob.
My axe FX II is going and I need something to be able to connect the PC and axe to my monitors.
Connecting the TV would also be a plus (bluetooth maybe?)
I don't record. I just play guitar :)
But I want something good enough to not mess too much with my sound.
I guess that in the future I'll buy something like bias amp just for bedroom practice and use the AX8 just for gigging. So I guess that's a factor to consider.
Money is not really an issue but I would prefer to keep it under 400 or 500 €/$

Anything you suggest?
Cheers.

Indeed. Something like a Yamaha AG06. Which BTW also provides USB Audio.

Thank you both for your inputs.
It seems a good way to go yes.
But I'll be stuck with by pc sound-card if I decide to go for a software fro home practice.
Was thinking of something like the Focusrite Scarlett line.

Thank you both for your inputs.
It seems a good way to go yes.
But I'll be stuck with by pc sound-card if I decide to go for a software fro home practice.
Was thinking of something like the Focusrite Scarlett line.
I like my Scarlett 2i4, and do not regret buying it. I started with a cheap mixer, but got rid of that to get the Scarlett. Skip the mixer step. The 2i4 is about $180, leaving you some money to start down the monitor upgrade path.

Went for the focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
Really easy to set up and it seems it's not coloring the AX8 sound.
Still trying to figure out optimal signal to noise ratio. Seems the ax8 even at minimal output levels is way too hot.
Thank you for all the inputs :)

Went for the focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
Really easy to set up and it seems it's not coloring the AX8 sound.
Still trying to figure out optimal signal to noise ratio. Seems the ax8 even at minimal output levels is way too hot.
Thank you for all the inputs :)
How are you connecting? It sounds like you may be connecting to the instrument input. You do not want to do that. The input should be set to line level.

EDIT: Either go in through input jacks 3 and 4 on the backside or go into the focusrite software and set inputs 1 and 2 such that they are not set to instrument level (the green "inst" LED should not be lit)

focusrite_scarlett_6i6.jpg

Last edited:
6i6 = Good choice. Here's my story, in case it helps someone else.

I bought the 2i2 last week. I wanted to use it for recording, but also for the headphone output while the family is asleep. I didn't want to spend a lot and on paper, it fit my needs - I don't need a lot of I/Os. It worked really well for recording, but I noticed that the output to the headphones was mono when in direct mode. WTF? It's not a huge deal, as long as you want to fire up the computer, fire up the DAW, redirect the output to he 2i2, then monitor with the direct switch off, but I found that annoying for the times when I just want to use it as a headphone amp.

I contacted the Focusrite, wondering if I was doing something wrong. It's not documented anywhere I could find. They got back to me quickly. Turns out that you have to bump up to at least the 2i4 to get stereo direct monitoring. So I sent it back, exchanging for a 6i6, which gets me SPDIF and...

Another little quirk...The 2i2 is USB powered, which I liked, but it's powered any time the computer is on with no power switch. 6i6 is DC powered, but there is a power switch.

I get it - that's partly why it's $70 cheaper than the 6i6. Had I known about the direct monitoring, I wouldn't have purchased it. Once again, I cheaped it, sort of, and it didn't work out. One day I'll learn.

How are you connecting? It sounds like you may be connecting to the instrument input. You do not want to do that. The input should be set to line level.

EDIT: Either go in through input jacks 3 and 4 on the backside or go into the focusrite software and set inputs 1 and 2 such that they are not set to instrument level (the green "inst" LED should not be lit)

focusrite_scarlett_6i6.jpg

I'm going from ax8 out 1 left and right into the 6i6 xlr inputs. Then from the 6i6 out 1 and 2
(Trs) to the focal inputs (xlr). I've set on the 6i6 software the out 1 and 2 to line (not inst). Bit too hot. I'm guessing I just need to find the sweet spot. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.
It sounds ok though

The line/inst switch only works, if you are using a jack plug. I guess you already turned the input gain on 6i6 fully CCW. I think it's strange that that is too hot. XLR to TRS jack cables would be your best option then.

Also, if you are going into the focusrite with XLRs, you can activate the "pad" (in the software) on inputs 1 and 2. That should solve your problem.

6i6 = Good choice. Here's my story, in case it helps someone else.

I bought the 2i2 last week. I wanted to use it for recording, but also for the headphone output while the family is asleep. I didn't want to spend a lot and on paper, it fit my needs - I don't need a lot of I/Os. It worked really well for recording, but I noticed that the output to the headphones was mono when in direct mode. WTF? It's not a huge deal, as long as you want to fire up the computer, fire up the DAW, redirect the output to he 2i2, then monitor with the direct switch off, but I found that annoying for the times when I just want to use it as a headphone amp.

I contacted the Focusrite, wondering if I was doing something wrong. It's not documented anywhere I could find. They got back to me quickly. Turns out that you have to bump up to at least the 2i4 to get stereo direct monitoring. So I sent it back, exchanging for a 6i6, which gets me SPDIF and...

Another little quirk...The 2i2 is USB powered, which I liked, but it's powered any time the computer is on with no power switch. 6i6 is DC powered, but there is a power switch.

I get it - that's partly why it's $70 cheaper than the 6i6. Had I known about the direct monitoring, I wouldn't have purchased it. Once again, I cheaped it, sort of, and it didn't work out. One day I'll learn.
This is a great, informative post. I always wondered why direct monitoring via headphones on the 2i4 felt a little lifeless. Nice sleuthing, my friend! Now you have me considering an upgrade, lol. It never ends...

Also, if you are going into the focusrite with XLRs, you can activate the "pad" (in the software) on inputs 1 and 2. That should solve your problem.

That totally did it. After selecting pad levels are fine. Checked the manual.
It cuts 10 DBS. Thank you sir.
Thank you all for your inputs. The 6i6 was a good choice.
Cheers.

But...

If you don't record... Why would you need a mixer or an audio interface?

Well, maybe if you use headphones...

I connect my AX8 straight to the Near Field Monitors. And I play music in my old home stereo. I also connect the AX8 to the laptop, so I can use the AX8 Edit. Am I missing something?

Can somebody suggest an interface that I can monitor the AX8 in stereo with? I currently use a small Behringer mixer but it doesn't have great preamps and doesn't sound great recorded. I know the Focusrite Scarlett stuff has good preamps, but you can't monitor in stereo, on ears or otherwise. That would be a big plus for me, if anybody can suggest anything?

Back
Top Bottom