Audio crackling sound with USB to Ableton live

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
SOLVED- Audio crackling sound with USB to Ableton live

Hi,
I'm trying to setup Ableton as looper via usb and everything seems to work great except the audio from AXE FX is with crackling sounds. I tried to increase the buffer size both in Ableton (Preferences->Audio->buffer size) and in Axe Fx (IO->Audio->USB buffer size), but that has no effect on crackling sound.

Last edited:
What is your CPU %? If too high - you'll get this. Try reducing patch complexity; if the problem goes away, that's the culprit.

Dave

Its not AXE CPU crackle, this one is subtle, but constant like a metronome (but it is not related to metronome tempo on Axe or Live). The weird thing is it occurs only when I'm playing, when I'm not playing there is no crackle.

No, rate is set to 48k.

Im using Axe Fx USB as input and output device in Live. If i run the test tone in Live preferences - i can hear this clicking sound along with test tone.

What's the computer? Does Ableton give click free audio without the AxeFx as part of the equation? What are your buffer settings in Ableton?

MBPro 2014, 8 Gb ram.
The project is really simple one track, one looper plugin.
Buffer in Ableton is set to 256, i tried increasing it, but it does not influence the clicking.
I tracked down the problem to audio output. If i select my other TC audio interface as output - the audio does not crack anymore. So audio clicking occurs if i select AXE FX as audio output device.

I had this problem while trying to use superior drummer while using axe fx usb. It had something to do with sample rates, even though I had everything at 48k I couldn't get rid of it.

I tried several DAW and all the same result, but only with the axe fx usb.

I don't use the axe fx usb anymore at all, in fact I went back to analog into my x32 and use the x32 usb and have no issues and notice no difference in quality.

I could use analog outs, but this means if i want to take this on stage i have to drag my sound card to gigs and this complicates the setup and may add more problems.

I think I solved the Problem!!
I was using Aggregate device on my mac to be able to use both my mac and AXE for outputs. In macs utility Audio Midi setup there was a checkbox 'drift correction'. I unchecked it and now the noises are gone.

... also, there's a USB buffer setting in the I/O menu of the Axe that I have found useful at times.

On your Mac, if all devices are running at 48K you wouldn't need drift correction, which as near as I can tell is sample rate conversion.

Back
Top Bottom