Audio Clips and Presets

Hey Doug. These are beyond awesome!
Could you put the Hendrix/plexi patch you mentioned on TGP over here for us Hendrix fans!
Thanks again for all your ultra valuable help.

Hey Guys:)

Thanks for all the kind words and warm welcome. Every forum has it's own vibe, and you guys are AWESOME...

Eightman, I started to get bummed as I read the first part of your post:( - the whole point of what I am trying to do is ease people closer to the sounds they are coaxing out of their fingers, reflecting what's in their heads. The goal is to make people feel closer to their playing and their instrument:) I had an amazing teacher and he was always moving closer and not further away from playing better, although there were times that I obviously would feel inadequate playing with someone like Joe as a teen. Perhaps I was just too naive to totally get it. Regardless, my goal for you is that even just one of these sounds will allow you to sit with your guitar and express something deep within you and help where I can coax that to the surface by creating a sound that is a platform for that. And how cool is that anyways!!!

Cheers,

Doug:)

Cheers Doug. Believe me, I meant that only in the most complimentary way but I appreciate your post and the sentiment behind it immensely. Nothing more gratifying and encouraging for amateurs when pros and the guys with immense talent approach playing and teaching with that attitude and a true musician's spirit. I will be spending a lot of time with your patches soon. Thanks again. :)
8manVT

Thanks for the post and the great playing....
1) play back of the mp3 goes to my motu via firewire out to an adcom poweramp then on to vienna acoustic bethovens The mp3 clips sound great!!!
2) Axe fx goes to the motu then out to maackie hr824 The presets dont come close to sounding like the mp3 clips
3) jackson with duncans

Please help i would be so happy if those presets sounded like they do on the mp3 recording what am i missing or doing wrong ever since ver 5.01 i have been tweaking my ass of scrolling thorghpresets for hrs and hrs i dont remember going throught this with ver 4 but i dont think it is the versions ... My sound is missing something its seems and it may be that i just have to many option avilable to me and i cant focus , 2 i dont have a benchmark to compare to , I know the ax is capable of the fantasic
I dont understand i have gotten some amazing sound out of this thing but something is just off ithe mp3 here prove it...

Any tips sugestions advise HELP thanks

Doug thanks so much for these great (atmospheric) presets!

Thanks for the post and the great playing....
1) play back of the mp3 goes to my motu via firewire out to an adcom poweramp then on to vienna acoustic bethovens The mp3 clips sound great!!!
2) Axe fx goes to the motu then out to maackie hr824 The presets dont come close to sounding like the mp3 clips
3) jackson with duncans

Please help i would be so happy if those presets sounded like they do on the mp3 recording what am i missing or doing wrong ever since ver 5.01 i have been tweaking my ass of scrolling thorghpresets for hrs and hrs i dont remember going throught this with ver 4 but i dont think it is the versions ... My sound is missing something its seems and it may be that i just have to many option avilable to me and i cant focus , 2 i dont have a benchmark to compare to , I know the ax is capable of the fantasic
I dont understand i have gotten some amazing sound out of this thing but something is just off ithe mp3 here prove it...

Any tips sugestions advise HELP thanks
What have you tweaked already? The fact that the presets don't come close to the mp3's is to be expected I guess, given the significant difference between guitars, especially their pickups. In any case presets made for single coils probably won't work on your guitar unless it has a toggle to split your humbuckers.

Now, the clean Mesa Boogie Ambient Delay preset for example was made for a humbucker guitar (check out the beautiful Ibanez S470), and if I'm not mistaken it sounds like Doug is using the full neck pickup on the mp3. However, even then there can be a large difference according to the pickup's output. To give you an idea, I need to turn down input trim to 0.230 in the advanced tab of the amp block to get rid of distortion on the Boogie Ambient Delay preset. If you're new to all of this (like me), clean sounds are the easiest to derive the amount of input trim adjustment you need to make. Personally, I find high gain presets easier to tweak EQ.

A bit of EQ'ing is probably also in order (on my guitar I generally need to diminish 125 Hz to 500 Hz frequencies and raise 8k a bit). You can do this in the global menu or even better I guess, put an EQ right after the Input on the matrix.

>> i dont have a benchmark to compare to ,
You have one now I guess?

Also, try to match the tones using headphones, so you get the difference between your monitoring equipment out of the equation... .

For people starting out with the Axe posting clips together with the presets is a very good idea, and it's great Doug made the effort of doing this. Otherwise there's a very small chance you'll be able to replicate the preset's tone... .

HTH.

Think I'm in the same boat as Paully....love the Axe2 but have trouble getting the tones from the mp3 files. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I try to tweak but it usually just makes it worse. I wish I knew more but am very slowly learning.

Thanks for your input .... I get all what ur saying ... especially what u are saying about the different guitar and tone ... i did take that into accounted when making my comparison ... Maybe its how his stuff sits in the mix... his clips ,all of them ,, clearer and crisper brighter rounder ... the grass is always greener .... im gonna what you are saying ive got 4 guitars that a have different woods and pickups.... Btw i have found that that little input trim thing is a big thing and comes in handy

I sold my engl 580 because i did not think i needed it and the ax .... but now i realize that i should have a good amp in the house as bench mark... to have something to COMPARE or guide me when creating presets ... i dont need to copy any amp exactly nor do i want to ... but with out some sort of reality check one can get really far out there when tweaking the ax... i find that a lot of the time that i will tweak play and listen with just my guitar it sounds great when there is nothing else going on in the back ground ... but once i try use that tweak to play over something it totally sounds different... sometimes good sometimes not so good... This my first time trying to record and write songs in my modest home studio so i have a lot to learn i guess

Hey Guys:)

Again, SO many thanks for the great vibes and kind words...

1) I am staying 100% in the digital domain in Pro Tools using S/PDIF, recording at 24 bit, 48k as the AIFF files will be repurposed for video...
2) One of the first places I start is with the input level on the amp model, and if you're finding that you're getting too much gain that is where I'd start and most likely that will get you much closer than anything else:)
3) For Get Killer Tone I have been meticulously documenting every facet of each setting and so on. Moving forward on the last group of clips before I give Axe back to RayRay tomorrow I will be presenting some external documentation across all three places I'm posting the clips that should be a big help in terms of where I have things set. Keeping in mind that I grew up playing in the 80s (I didn't hide my birth date here) the idea of playing clean tones on the bridge pickup was the furthest thing on my mind and now is one of the first places I go on the S470. Nice to see your kind words about the S470 CFM - the guitar was actually in the bridge on that clip, hard to kind of imagine, but totally true! Like the JEM7V that's cued up here for some Vai-isms as well as some Beck-isms, it does a lot more than people might expect and far beyond it's reputation in terms of what is't know for:)
4) What I tweak. This is the fun stuff. In working on Get Killer Tone I've had no less then 100 amazing amps, 100 outstanding guitars, and hundreds of effects come through here. I've grown a nice mic locker as well as some amazing loaner mics. I've placed more mics on guitar rigs this past three years than most second engineers, so I've gotten to the point where my body can feel the sound in the room and in combination with my ears I pretty much know what mic to use and where to place it. It's totally a body + ears + experience thing. What Cliff has done such an outstanding job with is equipping someone with the practical experience I have with SO much gear with the tools that I already employ. The proximity and speaker drive are key to my process with this box, because they are key to my process with real amps.
5) The great thing about Axe is you don't need your amps if you don't want them - ask RayRay - he's loaning me the one that's sitting at his place gathering dust. Need them, because I love pretty much all gear, I love to play through just about anything, so I'll keep just about anything around. I will add that I suggested to one of my endorsers that they hire me to do sounds clips for their product line JUST using the Axe-FX since it does such a great job at so much. We'll see what if anything comes from that, but if it sounds and feels great, it sounds and feels great!!!

OK, I hope I've covered most of it here. Capsule...

1) PaulyPJ nailed it - input trim HUGE
2) Mic model - HUGE
3) Proximity - HUGE
4) Motor Drive - HUGE

As much as I usually spend a lot of time attenuating EQ on Delays, I've done surprisingly little of that as things sound really natural to begin with, BUT I do mess the the delays and reverbs to create enough space for the direct signal to breathe!

Cheers and again, thanks for being cool ~ Doug:)

Roland JC120 Model with Ducking Delay + Rotary...

To try and minimize the multiple imprint of my posts on this forum and a few other places I will be sharing copy between them for my sanity and so I can spend more time tracking than writing:)

As some of you already know, I’ve tracked what seems like a million Get Killer Tone clips using my pair of JC120s – love those amps and have had one of them for over 20 years. For this clip I dialed up a JC120 model, added a mono Analog Chorus on one side to emulate the JC, and a Ducking Delay so that when I played the guitar would come through, but when I stopped or did a slide the healthy amount of repeats would fade in. Also of note on this one is the Rotary model I added towards the end of the signal chain, which added some shimmer I was looking for beyond the Chorus. Special thanks for Henry Kaiser for loaning me his T.C. Electronic 2290 which is where I learned how to play and program Ducking Delays…

SIGNAL CHAIN:
GUITAR: Ibanez S470
Pickup Position: #2
Pickups: DiMarzio
Pick: Dunlop 1mm Tortex
AMP + FX: FRACTAL AUDIO Axe-FX II
Firmware: v.501
Amp Model : Roland JC120
Chorus: Analog Mono
Cab/Mic: 2×12 Jazz (RW) > 57 DYN
Delay: Ducking Delay
Rotary: Rotary 1
Reverb: Medium Chamber

Preset using firmware v.5.01 View attachment DD JC120 Ducking Delay Rotary.syx

Thanks for sharing these presets! The DD Deluxe Reverb sounds so good, looking forward to try out the rest!

Cheers Doug. Believe me, I meant that only in the most complimentary way but I appreciate your post and the sentiment behind it immensely. Nothing more gratifying and encouraging for amateurs when pros and the guys with immense talent approach playing and teaching with that attitude and a true musician's spirit. I will be spending a lot of time with your patches soon. Thanks again. :)
8manVT
Hey 8:) U ROCK!!!

Cheers ~ Doug

This is a guitar (kindly on loan from Critter) that I've used on a TON of clips. The rhythm track on this is using the Ducking Delay preset from yesterday, and for the lead tone I dialed up some Pitch Shifting, Ping Pong Delay, and Hall Reverb to give the Mesa Boogie model some room in the mix. Both tracks were hard panned, so for the mix I brought the melody/solo guitar close to the 50% mark to get them a bit more center field, creating a little more separation between the tracks...

SIGNAL CHAIN
Guitar: Ibanez JEM7VWh
Pickup Selection: Melody/Lead #1, Rhythm #1
Pick: Dunlop 1mm Tortex
Pickups: DiMarzio
Amp + FX: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II
Melody/Solo Amp Model: Mesa-Boogie
Melody/Solo Amp FX:
Audio Interface : Avid 002

Melody/Solo Preset, Firmware v.5.01 View attachment DD Mesa Boogie Ping Pong Delay.syx

A quick note about this preset. As I was jamming with RayRay today I noticed that in bypassing the delay there was a pretty dramatic change in volume. I'll be borrowing his unit again, but did not have time to address this issue in the patch I created. So if you end up using this patch I'd suggest adjusting the balance between the two. Cheers ~ Doug...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom