Atomic Reactor FR vs Verve 12ma

Jay Mitchell said:
... Then you should know that the placement of the Atomics in the middle of the line could give them as much as 6dB more low-frequency output than they would produce in isolation (or at either end of the line). ...

I have no doubt on your knowledge on this, Jay, but I wonder if you can help me understand this better:

If these units are tested one at a time, then surely the only difference can be room-placement? If anything, I would have expecetd the speakers at the ends to have more bass due to closer proximity to side walls.

If all speakers are on at the same time then, yes, I can understand some coupling effects. But even here, I doubt that there's good phase alignment between different-brand monitors given their use of DSPs (Fratomic excluded) which have different latencies and different frequency correction treatments.

Am I missing something?

GM Arts said:
If these units are tested one at a time, then surely the only difference can be room-placement?
No. That's what you guys just don't get. Adjacent surfaces of any kind, including loudspeaker enclosures, have a profound effect on the response and directivity of a loudspeaker. Placing a line of speaker enclosures end to end - even with gaps between the boxes - produces huge alterations in the response and directivity of every speaker in the line, even when operating a speaker by itself. I've got measured proof of this. It should be intuitively evident to anyone who has a general grasp of the physics involved, however.

Am I missing something?
Yes.

Jay Mitchell said:
[quote="GM Arts":xjf0e64d]If these units are tested one at a time, then surely the only difference can be room-placement?
No. That's what you guys just don't get. Adjacent surfaces of any kind, including loudspeaker enclosures, have a profound effect on the response and directivity of a loudspeaker. Placing a line of speaker enclosures end to end - even with gaps between the boxes - produces huge alterations in the response and directivity of every speaker in the line, even when operating a speaker by itself. I've got measured proof of this. It should be intuitively evident to anyone who has a general grasp of the physics involved, however.

Am I missing something?
Yes.[/quote:xjf0e64d]
Many thanks Jay - as I said, I have no doubt on your knowledge - just wanted to understand why. ;)

Tangent --> Live performance images of Jimi with a flipped over guitar always get to me. Being a lefty player myself, it reminds me of how unfair many guitar manufacturers are toward lefty guitar players that represent 10+ percent of the market. Particularly in these days of advanced manufacturing processes where pulling a few "reverse" runs should not be such a big deal. Hats off to manufacturers like Schecter who make the effort - PRS could learn from this.

Sorry for the Tangent - now - back to the shootout!

So - are the comments in yet? Can I order my Fratomics?

Wow... it amazes me how a thread with a topic of "Atomic Reactor FR Vs Verve 12mA" can turn in to a schooling on something that is so far off topic it could have started 5 other threads. :shock:

Thanks Mike for inviting me to the drag race.

I was the one who brought the 8ma's. While most all of you are out of my league in knowledge, I very much enjoyed the few hours, and was impressed with all four models. I think my 8ma's held up pretty well in the race, and I very much like the size and weight of these little but mighty guys.

I was surprised at how different patches would sound better or worse or just different through the different monitors. But I think with some Axe tweeking, just about any patch could sound great through any of these options. I was more impressed with the QSC's than I thought I would be. But overall, all four choices are great options as a FRFR solution.

If I were to ever go back to mono, I would probably go for either the QSC or the FBT 12Ma, just because they are much lower maintenance (no tubes) and lighter than the Atomics. The QSC does have that adorable little blue light on the front, doesn't make it sound any better, but sure looks sharp. They all sound great IMHO.

-richard

Jay Mitchell said:
[quote="GM Arts":1vqy312b]If these units are tested one at a time, then surely the only difference can be room-placement?
[/quote:1vqy312b]

My knowledge of physics won't match yours, by any means. So it could very well be that you are correct and what I heard was a by-product of the physics - but I'm not convinced by the suggestion of a bass boost being the factor. The FBT-12ma's and the QSC K-10's had a more audibly pronounced bass response, and as I recall that was borne out by the iPhone Real Time Analyzer that the owner of the K-10's was using. Not that such an RTA would match dedicated devices, but gets some little amount of credit, I would think.

If you can explain how what you're describing could still be the case, even though the bass-boost couldn't be detected audibly, then I'll be more inclined to buy into that explanation. And I'm not being argumentative - I think I can see such a potential, given that the iPhone app seemed to show a bump in the 250 Hz range, while the FBT-12ma's seemed to show a bump about 125 Hz. So I could see it given that 250 is probably more detectible to human ears. And maybe this is what you're saying.

But I'd still enjoy hearing you expound on it!

raz said:
So it could very well be that you are correct and what I heard was a by-product of the physics -
I didn't say that. I said it is possible that the difference you heard was due to speaker positioning. All that means is that you can't rule out causes other than differences among the speakers, so the bottom line is that you cannot draw firm conclusions from the shootout.

The FBT-12ma's and the QSC K-10's had a more audibly pronounced bass response, and as I recall that was borne out by the iPhone Real Time Analyzer that the owner of the K-10's was using.
You can get decent data from the iphone RTA app. Did he save any files?

If you can explain how what you're describing could still be the case, even though the bass-boost couldn't be detected audibly, then I'll be more inclined to buy into that explanation. And I'm not being argumentative - I think I can see such a potential, given that the iPhone app seemed to show a bump in the 250 Hz range, while the FBT-12ma's seemed to show a bump about 125 Hz.
A bump at 250Hz of just a couple dB is easily audible. Excessive output in this range tends to make things muddier by degrading clarity and articulation.

I wasn't there, so I can't explain the specific differences you heard. Of course there are audible response differences among the speakers. The point I've been making is that there are also differences that are not due to speakers, and, in the comparison under discussion, you can't know with certainty which is which.

Correct me if im wrong but couldnt one of tested each of the active monitors in each of the positions to find out what variables from the environment caused?

torchlord said:
Correct me if im wrong but couldnt one of tested each of the active monitors in each of the positions to find out what variables from the environment caused?
That would be a very time-consuming exercise, and it is entirely unnecessary. The important thing is to eliminate the differences caused by local acoustics. The best way to accomplish this is to use the procedure I described here (linked earlier in the thread): http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.ph ... xefx#47984 . If you simply designate a central location for the test speaker and move each speaker to that location when its turn comes up, you will assure that local acoustics do not cause significant differences among the speaker responses. The effects will still be there (but not the line array effects in the comparison in this thread), but they will be the same for every speaker.

This one is very helpful (in case you own an iPhone) - it generates 'pink noise' and measures the response:
rta1-2.jpeg

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/rta.html

And it's only $11.99 ! - so you get basically a free iPhone - if compared to other tools.

You can increase the accuracy by adding this external mic:
iaiwithfft.jpeg

There are similar tools e.g. 'Pocket RTA' is even more powerful but more than double the price (which is still cheap):
YouTube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxIWaRuXilM

There is a free version for iPhone too - but only 1oct. resolution - the paid version has 1/3 oct and more features.

Actually, the free Android RTA app has one, 1/2 and 1/3 octave. I have seen the free iphone one and it is not the same.

As the OP of this thread I´d like to thank everybody that has posted and shared their knowledge and experiences.
I think it is wonderful that there is a debate going about FRFR choises for the Axe Fx.
When I was looking for my reference stereo set up I spend about 6 months listening to a lot of different brands of amps, cd-players, speakers and caples in a controlled environment, optimizing each system to the room, marking the best placements for each configuration and then testing these agains each other in several listening tests. It was an exhausting process but at the same time very rewarding as it for one lead me to the system that I found to be the best for me, secondly educated my ears quite a bit and thirdly because I became aware of how very minute changes in ie speaker placement or angling would change the sound.
Because of this I understand Jays points and I totally appreciate that a knowledgable pro speaker designer lends some of his knowledge on the subject to the rest of the community that this forum is -props and thanks for that Jay - please keep it up.
At the same time I don´t think MKE and Raz had any intention to make their "shootout" a scientific or controlled test, more a gear-and player-gathering so to speak.
Guys please correct me if I´m wrong as I don´t want to speak for you.
Anyways, I´m still interested in the findings and observations from that gear-gathering, as I don´t have any stores near me that stocks these FRFR options, so even if the test is biased, so is any subjective reports about gear. What I try to do is read as much as I can before I make "an informed gamble" so to speak. I did it with the Ultra and haven´t regreded that one bit. On both these matters Joe´s (Jochen) opinions count alot for me as I know his tone and we share a tonal reference.
Ultimately I want the solution that is the most accurate in reproducing the signal the Axe outputs to the sound reproduction system. I might end up going for another more pro-grade system than the options mentioned in this thread, but I wanted to hear more about these as they are quite affordable and (mayby because of that) popular with Axe Fx users.

Jay Mitchell said:
....... One of the reasons I steadfastly refuse to sell my loudspeakers to Axe-Fx users is that I know there is no magic bullet. An accurate FRFR speaker will only make your Axe-Fx presets sound exactly like your Axe-Fx presets. If they're good, then the speaker will allow them to be exactly as good as they are. If they're not good, then an accurate speaker will show no mercy in revealing that. This is very much the same as with with stereo/monitor speakers.

If you want to use the full power of the Axe-Fx, it behooves you to find a speaker that does the best possible job of reproducing the signal it produces. My interest here is in offering cautionary information that will assist in the process of identifying such a speaker.

Jay it is entirely in your right to choose who you want to sell anything to, but the above puzzels me. Maybe I´m reading it wrong or I´m misunderstanding you (it´s past midnight in Scandinavia) but it seems to me that you first say you refuse to sell your speakers to Axe-Fx users as they are so accurate that some peoples presets might sound really bad, and then you say your interest is to help guide us to speakers that are so accurate that we can get the best out of the power of the Axe Fx. Did I get you wrong on this or does it seem like a bit of a contradiction in terms? I could better understand you if the reason was that it would cost a lot more to produce than an equally good and readily awailable option or that it would be destracting or whatever to the function of your company.
No ill meaning what so ever, as I again stress that it is naturally entirely your decision - maybe I just misunderstood your point.

Rocket Brother said:
Jay it is entirely in your right to choose who you want to sell anything to, but the above puzzels me. Maybe I´m reading it wrong or I´m misunderstanding you (it´s past midnight in Scandinavia) but it seems to me that you first say you refuse to sell your speakers to Axe-Fx users as they are so accurate that some peoples presets might sound really bad, and then you say your interest is to help guide us to speakers that are so accurate that we can get the best out of the power of the Axe Fx. Did I get you wrong on this or does it seem like a bit of a contradiction in terms? I could better understand you if the reason was that it would cost a lot more to produce than an equally good and readily awailable option or that it would be destracting or whatever to the function of your company.
No ill meaning what so ever, as I again stress that it is naturally entirely your decision - maybe I just misunderstood your point.

Yep, I think you misunderstood. IMO he meant he doesn't want people buying him something and then calling him next day asking why their new uber-expensive new FRFR system didn't make their presets automatically sound glorious. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Jay Mitchell said:
[quote="Rocket Brother":3qyp6a9k]Did I get you wrong on this
Yes.

maybe I just misunderstood your point.
You did. Too_much_power got it exactly right.[/quote:3qyp6a9k]

Jay, as I said props to you for your contributions to this forum, they are highly appreciated.
I had a feeling I got you wrong, but I still think there is a duality to the reason Too_much_power stated and you adhered to.
IF....IF you ever decided to make your system available for sale to Axe Fx users, my guess is that your system would be at a price quite a bit higher than most Axe users would or could pay for an FRFR solution. I think that would mean that the people who would buy it would be a small selected crowd, who would be unlikely to call you complaining about why their presets didn´t sound golden. IMHO a system like yours would attract those willing and able to understand the concepts of sound production vs sound reproduction, and who could tweak such a system - and as a consequence there of make presets that would sound golden on and be perfectly reproduced by a brilliant FRFR solution like yours.
Still, as I said, I can totally understand if you decide that the marked for a FRFR solution like the one you made for yourself is to small to bother and would only distract or hinder the main function of your firm.
Either way I totally respect your choise, and I´ll put a sock in it now :)
RB

Armin said:
This one is very helpful (in case you own an iPhone) - it generates 'pink noise' and measures the response:
rta1-2.jpeg

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/rta.html

And it's only $11.99 ! - so you get basically a free iPhone - if compared to other tools.

You can increase the accuracy by adding this external mic:
iaiwithfft.jpeg

There are similar tools e.g. 'Pocket RTA' is even more powerful but more than double the price (which is still cheap):
YouTube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxIWaRuXilM

Thats pretty neat ive been needing to get me a new phone now ill have to take this RTA thing into consideration when the time comes. Has anyone ever tried to use This iphone feature to test monitors at a guitar center to find the best FRFR system?

Back
Top Bottom