Atomic Re-enters the Scene

Interesting. I like that they draw on the neural amp modeler (not to be confused with Neural DSP) plugin and a partnership with ML Sound Lab, both of which are excellent imho. Could be something, depending on the price point...

Interesting. I like that they draw on the neural amp modeler (not to be confused with Neural DSP) plugin and a partnership with ML Sound Lab, both of which are excellent imho. Could be something, depending on the price point...
There is a free version. The non free version right now is $149. $299 is crossed out so it’ll prob be 299 again at some point. Also, looks like Rob Chapman was brought on board to endorse this

i am extremely reluctant to trust that company after all the lies they have been feeding their customers the last few years
Seems like a cool product, but go in with the worst case scenario mindset - whatever version you download, may be the last one published.
I'm not saying that's going to happen, but if you go in with that expectation, you won't be disappointed I guess...

You'd have to think that a hardware version is coming.
I'd be interested in the Amperium live from the demos I've heard but NAM seems more widespread in its userbase - personally I think the modeled sounds in the Amperium sound better then this Tonecracy

I'm old so I will probably never understand the whole capture thing. I like creating my own tones from scratch. Once you understand your platform (whether pedals & amp or modeler), I don't get how capture is better than just dialing in your own tones. Because then they are truly your own. I play in a cover band. Even so, we still pride ourselves on doing our own interpretations of songs - adding our own flavor. We almost always change them up quite a bit.

I guess if you are in the business of near exact replication of source material then maybe capture makes sense.

I'm old so I will probably never understand the whole capture thing. I like creating my own tones from scratch. Once you understand your platform (whether pedals & amp or modeler), I don't get how capture is better than just dialing in your own tones. Because then they are truly your own. I play in a cover band. Even so, we still pride ourselves on doing our own interpretations of songs - adding our own flavor. We almost always change them up quite a bit.

I guess if you are in the business of near exact replication of source material then maybe capture makes sense.
This product includes both capturing and modeling. I used kemper before fractal and realized I didn’t like profiling nearly as much as modeling. I’ve heard great things about NAM though so id be willing to see if profiling has come any further for the low entry cost of this product.

This product includes both capturing and modeling. I used kemper before fractal and realized I didn’t like profiling nearly as much as modeling. I’ve heard great things about NAM though so id be willing to see if profiling has come any further for the low entry cost of this product.
In the end you are still capturing someone else's tone. How original!!

If anyone has a better way to say this let me know, because I don't want to sling muck, but those amps just sound terrible to me.

If anyone has a better way to say this let me know, because I don't want to sling muck, but those amps just sound terrible to me.
No worries I have outdone everyone on the muck factor. And I applaud you for being honest.

The only muck is in his tone. I love Leon and he knows how to capture legit tone. But this Atomic thing seems like Atomic is a bandwagon jumper without the legs to make the wagon. We'll see.

Last edited:
I am sure Leon knows well that he can take one of his Fractals, start from scratch with his own IR(s), and create the tone in his head. He does it all the time.

I don't hear that in his Atomic video. Maybe because it was the best he could do with the modeler?

Irrespective of this new product, which I've never heard, and probably won't, so have no opinion, Atomic was in modeling very early, before most current players, and were thought to be pretty good at the time. I wouldn't write them off on tones anyway.

I just played around with the free version for a bit. Sounds pretty good to me honestly. Think I’m gonna buy the Full version

In the end you are still capturing someone else's tone. How original!!
Or you can also capture your tone -- as a result of a hardware tube amp, cab, mic mix. It's mostly what I did for years with Kemper, provided I was getting results in the analog world I was happy with.

But yes, one reason I enjoy fractal units as much (even more so now with dynacab) is the ability to "do it all in the box". And the advanced parameters can also come in handy.

Last edited:
Or you can also capture your tone -- as a result of a hardware tube amp, cab, mic mix.

A friend brought his Kemper over about a year ago and we sat down to capture my Mesa IIC+ for him. We only had 2 mics (one 57 and one Ribbon I think it was a Royer 121). He was happy and I think he still uses that capture today. But I never thought it did my amp justice.

When I got my FM9 the first thing I did was try out the 2C models to see if they were close. Out of the box they behaved and sounded very much like my physical amp - much closer than the capture ever did to my ears. They even respond to picking dynamics in a way that is very close to my physical amp. Maybe we didn't know what we were doing on the capture? But either way from that point on the whole capture thing seemed pretty useless to me.

Fractal's models are so deep and tweakable that for any amp already modeled I think it will always beat a capture for me.

Back
Top Bottom