Atomic Passive FR Cab right for me?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
I have tried powered FRFR soutions and never really clicked with them. Its really because I need an amp type backline as most gigs I play are too have anything but vocals through the PA - maybe kick drum.

The problem with FRFR was than it was the audience as well as me that noticed the difference. Audiences at these gigs now what a real amp sounds like un mic'd and thats what they want.

I ended up with a VHT 2:50:2 PA and a 2x12 3/4 back ported cab - with one V30 and one G12H. It does sound sweet and is still fairly flexible.

Heres the thing though - we do play maybe 5% of the time at wedddings/functions where we need more control. For these gigs Ive gone direct, with a feed to my rig (without the cab sim of course) for on stage. Its OK, but is a bit of a compromise.

I had been tempted with Atomics powered FR, But when it came to it I did not have the cash - and given the £/$/Eu thing it is really expensive. I cant justify it for the amount of time Ill use it (at £5-600 which is what it was initially forcase for it was maybe do-able - now at nearer £800 actual its too much).

Im now thinking that maybe the passive version might be right? I could power it with my VHT and at £400 is a much better proposition. Also being FRFR could I put my keys though it? I only play keys at functions/weddings and currently they do direct to desk with a litttle monitor for foldback (REALLY cheap and the Axe sounds HORRIBLE through it - its fine for keys though). I wont use the axe and keys at the same time either so no conflict.

If the passive cab is the way to go, the flat front rather than the wedge is cheaper - and while not so good as a monitor (its main purpose) it would allow me to use it as propper backline should I (or my band) want to go that was for some of the smaller venues.

Thoughts?

TBH its going to be that or stick as I am and save the money for the MFC-101. I have a Rocktron All Access at present so neither are must haves, and im not bothered about waiting if I go the foot controller way. Its really about what makes more sense for the next move.

Back
Top Bottom