Atomic NEOs - Playing programme music and BASS response

Hi all,

about to pull the trigger on two NEO active wedges. For my application I usually do solo and duo gigs in small clubs playing lead (and singing) to backing tracks. I just wondered if I would need a sub to add to the two NEOs (free field as FOH) or would the NEOs on their own be enough as Full Range Flat Response ?

I recall seeing in a thread that they could "reproduce" program material down to 39 Hz. Low E string is 81 Hz but isn't that different to say the thump of a bass drum etc ?

All thoughts and opinions much appreciated ?

Most of us use the low cut feature in the cab block to remove excess bass.

Not sure where you heard 39Hz. From their website here CLR Reference FRFR Monitors | Atomic Amps ...

Frequency Response: 70Hz-18kHz, +/- 2.5 dB

So they'd need a sub for bass/kick/music tracks, etc

I will search to see where the 39 Hz reference comes from and post it when I find it.
So I have just spent $3800 AUD to get two prosumer active wedges and they won't do what I need them to do ? Lots of conflicting views about this...

Gianfranco (user ID Viabcroce) posted the following on The Gearpage.net forum.

It might be worth pointing out that the CLR reproduces 70 Hz @ -2.5 dB or something around there. It doesn't stop working below that frequency!
In fact, if you feed it with 30 Hz you clearly hear the response.

I'd like to note that it's quite easy to be creative and to "improve" a product by just not specifying the measures' conditions
wink.gif

Also, of course, +1 for being able to reproduce a 4x12" (b\h)ump not having to do with "how low" a CLR can go.

smile.gif

Thanks Chris for responding. Whilst I have no concern that I have bought probably the best FRFR in the price range for guitar. I was also going to use the light weight NEOs to play backing tracks that I play lead guitar along to. So unless someone states to the contrary it looks like I also have to get a sub to get some thump out of them ?

Peter

some thump

depends how much "some" is to you. they aren't subs, so if you're trying to shake the room, they probably won't do it. but if you simply want the "low-end" in your recordings to be heard, the CLR will most likely reproduce them. it's not like anything below 70 Hz is simply missing.

wait till you get the speakers, play your tracks, and then come back and tell us how it sounds. :)

I think the numbers on the website are there to indicate the flat response spectrum. So, possibly you can try boosting some low frequencies of your backing tracks to get the thump you have in mind.

Thanks Chris and swervedriver. It will be three weeks before they land. :| Australia is a long way away. I will certainly post what they sound like with a range of tracks & program material.

I will most probably use a small 4 channel Mackie mixer between my tracks source and input 2 of the Neo. I guess I will be able to play around with boosting the bass on the tracks. Less is more "they" tell me.

I purchased two CLR wedges to use with my guitar setup and as tops for when I needed a small PA setup, fully intending to get subs. The CLR's kick but by themselves and I was really impressed with the depth, tone and volume I could get with just them. Could I feel my chest thumping on recorded material - absolutely. Then I added two QSC 15 subs, and yes now I can rattle my fillings if I want. Think you will be fine based on your setup and needs, but if you want dust falling from the ceiling you will likely want one sub at least.

I've used CLR's as a PA.
They sound excellent....but I would absolutely not use them without a sub if your backing tracks contain any bass or kick drum.

I use them with backing tracks with and without subs.

It really depends on the gig and your personal taste.

Two CLR's can carry a decent sized room.

I don't use subs when the gig is more about the venue than a "show". E.g. coffee house / restaurant / bridal show / yada yada yada

+1 to the above.

I use mine as full-range playback while recording (guitars, keys, v-drums, everything goes direct except vocals) and also as a PA for parties (music playback between sets, after the gig and so forth.) Killer sound, I've never noticed any lack of low end from the kick/bass in either situation.

That said, I agree that if you want to use them as bonafide *loud* dance PA, I'd add a sub or two just to be on the safe side. The CLR already have a sub switch to limit their low end response when used with subs.

TT

Thanks everyone for reporting on your experiences and your application of the CLRs. I will certainly report back when I have had them delivered and get the opportunity to test them at studio volumes first.

I contacted Jay M who was king enough to respond immediately. His response (period) was that the CLRs on their own would be sufficient for my application (Thanks Jay).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom