Atomic FRFR, and CLR questions.

electronpirate

Axe-Master
For roughly 5 years, I've had the 1st iteration of the Atomic amps 50watt FRFR active tube monitors.

While I have enjoyed them, and outside of one blown cap, they have been pretty flawless performers. Caveat: Light use gigging, mostly basement playing (2/3 times a week), but lately I've moved into my own space, and I can really make them sing at loud volumes.

Problem is, I'm at the point where I feel like I can only get the full use out of my Axe II unless these things are really singing volume wise. I don't NEED huge volume to play, but in tweaking, my patches sound radically different gig vs enjoyment volume (enjoyment being still loud, just not 'compete with the drummer' loud.) Also, I've felt that there is an overabundance of bass...it can get boomy unless tamed; and even then, it's a dance between 'I can feel it thump' and 'thin'.

Another problem is that I do not want to deal with tubes, caps, etc. My last problem is that a cap blew, and I really don't want to have to deal with that anymore. (And one of them is suspiciously crackling...which makes me think it's coming around again...) Enough.

I'm considering going CLR. Maybe a single active wedge, maybe 2. If a wedge could power another cab (say, the old atomic), I might go that way. Doing the math, it makes no sense to me to get 2 passive wedges, and the Matrix...more money, more cables, more hassle.

Questions for CLR owners:
-Is dispersion enough for a single wedge? Or would I miss 2 of them?
-I really need comments on low volume playing. I'm thinking of buying a condo (like I need 3 properties in my life...) and sonic disturbance is an issue. If I have to turn up to get *that* tone, then honestly, I'll just buy another house (if that gives some weird sick insight into what I consider 'priority'...)
-Is there anyone who's owned the earlier version of the Atomic, and moved onto the CLR? Comment please.
-How have they been reliability wise? This is an item I would want to buy, and not have to deal with again.

Yes, this is a roundabout way to say 'should I get a CLR'?

I have only owned a pair of the current CLRs, not the neo, but in the context of classic rock and metal to hard rock and thrash, they do it just as well at low volumes as they do at high volumes, and most of my tones for cover tunes sound the same at low volumes after being tweaked for gig volumes.

Dispersion is great, IMO the only reason for 2 is to have a stereo set up.

Reliable.... 100% problem free for over 250 gigs/rehearsals so far. The only complaint I have is the delicate finish, which is high quality, but gets banged up pretty easy. I bought studio slips covers based on Scott P.s reviews and have been happy with their protection.

My set is now 2 CLR Active Wedges(non-neo) and I play at lower volumes in a small studio 13x14. I had 2 Atomic Reactors also active wedge type, that I used for 3 years in the same space. Personally I would miss having 2. Like Severed, I have them for stereo. It helps fill out the sound at low volume, too. The Reactors are great, but it was more than worth going to the CLRs tone-wise. I was using XLR connections, but the powered CLR needs a 1/4 cable so I'm using XLR(axe) to TRS(CLR) connection. And besides, why own just 1 of anything, when you can own 2!(or three? haha) Good luck.

I have two active CLR wedge, original, not neo. Agree with all of the above. They don't need high volume to come alive, and are very detailed at low volumes. I usually just play through one and don't bother with stereo stuff for some reason, but I can play low enough to NOT bother the wife and neighbors, except when the neighbors get in the hottub and play that rap music. That's when the volume goes up and after a few hendrix tunes I feel better.

You should get some CLRs.

My set is now 2 CLR Active Wedges(non-neo) and I play at lower volumes in a small studio 13x14. I had 2 Atomic Reactors also active wedge type, that I used for 3 years in the same space. Personally I would miss having 2. Like Severed, I have them for stereo. It helps fill out the sound at low volume, too. The Reactors are great, but it was more than worth going to the CLRs tone-wise. I was using XLR connections, but the powered CLR needs a 1/4 cable so I'm using XLR(axe) to TRS(CLR) connection. And besides, why own just 1 of anything, when you can own 2!(or three? haha) Good luck.

The CLR's have combo jacks. You can use 1/4 or XLR.

I really need comments on low volume playing. I'm thinking of buying a condo (like I need 3 properties in my life...) and sonic disturbance is an issue. If I have to turn up to get *that* tone, then honestly, I'll just buy another house (if that gives some weird sick insight into what I consider 'priority'...)
The truth is: No speaker, no matter how good, can duplicate at low volume the feel and tone you get at high volume.

The question is: Can you live with the gap?

That's such a personal question that you may never know the answer until you try it for yourself.

Short answer - yes you should get at least one active CLR :)

No speaker will give you the same sound (Fletcher-Munson) or feel at bedroom volume as on gig volume, but the CLR sounds fantastic at low volume, much more so than anything else I've tried.
As to whether 2 is required, I'd take one CLR over 2 of anything costing the same each as the CLR any day of the week, but 2 (or 3 for WDW) CLRs is very nice if funds allow.
I have no experience with the older Atomic tube powered wedges so I can't comment beyond that the design ideas are very different for these products as you have noted yourself.
Last year I did an extensive write-up on the active CLR wedge(s) (search my username to find it) and now more than a year and tons of concerts latter I still absolutely blown away by how great sounding and versatile these CLR are. The CLRs have proved very reliable and have never made a hiccup.
Highly recommended
RB

Musicians should not move to condos where there are more rules beyond normal laws. No matter how quiet you think you are being there will be complaints.

I'm a happy CLR user. As you can see in my studio build thread, retaining the noise in takes a lot of effort. I did it for my family's peace, as I'm in a single family home.

I have a CLR and live in a condo. The CLR is unplugged in my closet. It's not full range at low acceptable volume for a condo unfortunately. At low volume, the lows and highs are rolled off.

First time I received it I thought something was wrong. Once I brought it to my next jam at full volume, then I heard how the CLR sounds. Amazing speaker.

In my condo I use headphones, and sometimes my studio monitors.

I have a CLR and live in a condo. The CLR is unplugged in my closet. It's not full range at low acceptable volume for a condo unfortunately. At low volume, the lows and highs are rolled off.

That is your ears/hearing not the speaker. This is the Fletcher / Munson affect being talked about in this thread.

Use EQ to compensate. The EQ would need to be set differently for different SPL levels.

Methinks that regardless of what you get, if you end up in condo you're going to have major problems playing at a level that will give you satisfactory results regardless of what gear you own.

That is your ears/hearing not the speaker. This is the Fletcher / Munson affect being talked about in this thread.

Use EQ to compensate. The EQ would need to be set differently for different SPL levels.

No it's not. My studio monitors at same volume don't have this problem. In the same room, same area.

I know about the Fletcher Munson, but this is not what's happening.

Methinks that regardless of what you get, if you end up in condo you're going to have major problems playing at a level that will give you satisfactory results regardless of what gear you own.

I agree. I never gig; only play at home. But I live in a house, and when no one's around, I can (sort of) blast my CLRs (started with one; now have two). They do sound great, even at low volumes, but at the (very low) volumes you're likely to require, Ron, you might just be better of with headphones. When everyone else in my house is sleeping (or studying), I go to the headphones; otherwise I just have to turn the volume down so low that it's simply unsatisfying.

To Answer your questions

Is dispersion enough for a single wedge? YES
Or would I miss 2 of them? You will want 2 not necessarily NEED 2. I have 1 and WANT a second to get that stereo sound facing me. What i Really want is a wall of them behind me.
484344_10151186650849646_826500173_n.jpg
-I really need comments on low volume playing. I'm thinking of buying a condo (like I need 3 properties in my life...) and sonic disturbance is an issue. If I have to turn up to get *that* tone, then honestly, I'll just buy another house (if that gives some weird sick insight into what I consider 'priority'...)
There is no difference in my low volume practice tone vs. full on volume tone. This is the beauty of the CLR .

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...osive-updates-w-vid-setup-backing-tracks.html

-Is there anyone who's owned the earlier version of the Atomic, and moved onto the CLR? Comment please. I still own the 2010 50w models (For Sale now) The units don't compare as they are totally different.

-How have they been reliability wise? This is an item I would want to buy, and not have to deal with again. Very reliable as I have had NO issues! NONE!

Yes, this is a roundabout way to say 'should I get a CLR'? YES.. PROBABLY... SURE ..WHY NOT... GO AHEAD!

I agree. I never gig; only play at home. But I live in a house, and when no one's around, I can (sort of) blast my CLRs (started with one; now have two). They do sound great, even at low volumes, but at the (very low) volumes you're likely to require, Ron, you might just be better of with headphones. When everyone else in my house is sleeping (or studying), I go to the headphones; otherwise I just have to turn the volume down so low that it's simply unsatisfying.

If you need to be quiet, a $1,000 set of headphones like the LCD-2s are a better investment than a $1,000 CLR.

No it's not. My studio monitors at same volume don't have this problem. In the same room, same area.

I know about the Fletcher Munson, but this is not what's happening.

Try playing pink noise and using a spectrum analyzer.

While not scientific, you can see as you reduce the SPL the overall freq response does not change all that much.

(Your room modes and test equipment will affect this but I am talking about ballpark not a rigorous room analysis or scientific test.)

Back
Top Bottom