atomic fr @ low volumes

I know it is tubed powered. I just want to know how it sounds at low volumes

we all know tube amps don't sound as good at low volumes as apposed to being cranked a bit

please let me know

If you're using it with the Axe-Fx you get the cranked-amp sound and feel at low volumes since the Axe-Fx is simulating that. The Atomic is designed to be neutral, it's the Axe-Fx that gives you the sound and feel.

I think cliff's answer kinda shows how pointless the fratomic is in reality. The axe-fx already has tube power amp simulation. Hence you don't need the tubes.

If it sounds good on a low volume full range tube amp, it will sound good on a good solid state amp.

Cliff no longer uses the axe with his VHT power amp... its just not necessary.

I say from the information on these forums, don't waste your money on a 50 watt fratomic tube amp. Get a good flat FRFR system the same price or left and have waaaaay more clean power.
~mx~

i think your confusing the difference between tubes that normally drive and color a tube poweramp section and the tubes that are in the fratomic which are linear, they are not trying to be something they are not. Both the linear tube design of the fratomic and solid state poweramps such as the art are two different approaches to accomplish the same general purpose. Tom stated the only reason he went with tubes is because that is what he already knew how to work with and thats what resources he had available too him, the intention of the atomic fr is and has always been too allow the axe fx maximum coloring and tone shaping functions by being as neutral/flat as possible just like solid state poweramps. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The Fratomic sounds absolutely killer. The adjustale tweeter is really nice to adapt to different rooms and/or overall volume. When I read where guys are saying it's not loud enough I can't begin too imagine how much volume they are playing with. I keep my volume on the Fratomic at 3:00 and I've yet to turn the Axe output past 10:00 and it's PLENTY loud over the different drummers I play with.

My experience with the Atomic FR was that it didn't have enough volume to be used for anything else than low volumes... ofcourse this has a lot to do with the room you are playing in.

ya maybe if you are trying to use the atomic as the only guitar amplification I could see that, but as a stage monitor and your sound coming out of the mains there's no way..... Unless your drummer is flat out too loud.

My Orange 30W transistor combo had more volume than one Atomic reactor. I've had dumb loud drummers but not anymore. I wouldn't consider any of my current drummers loud. I can be in the same room without earplugs.

jhuggins said:
Is it possible you got a defective unit?

I was wondering the same thing... I guess if you were mostly into uber hi gain/compressed tones maybe it tops out differently. I'm more edge of breakup camp so it sparkles and shines just fine with plenty of room to spare.

We've got two guitarists and the other one has a 100W Peavey tube amp so there was no way the Atomic was cutting through. I'm not saying the Reactor will not work for you... I'm just happier with the SLA-2 and 4x12 cabs which cost the same price as a single Reactor. I've never had the SLA-2 volume more than half way up.

And I play versatile stuff... like the links below are all from different genres. Not just "übermetal". :)

Back
Top Bottom