Atomic FR Arrived Yesterday!

LPSlinger

Inspired
I will say this, this thing really exposes the good, bad & ugly with patches created to drive standard amp rigs!
Sound dispersement is quite good, specially coming from directional amp rigs. In a couple of 2 hrs reworking my go-to live presets , made this sucker gig ready! With 9.0 release, Atomic FR, it's all about rediscovering the Axe-Fx. Living in the clean to crunch realm, I've not experience any squealing as previously posted; however, i'm finally able to embrace the Recto sims; previously, the tones I was getting weren't anywhere near the Mesa RoadKing I used to own. I really love what I'm hearing so far! Now I just need a carrying case, Gator's 2x12
is just a little too big.. any suggestions would be appreciated.

LP

I think you nailed it....the Reactors clarity is telling everything about the content of the patches. like you said, the good, bad and other.I had to spend some time cleaning up my patches when i first got the Reactor, now my rig sounds incredible.
Dig in and have fun- v9 and the Reactor has got me in tone heaven!

BTW- dont know if you need a hard case or a gig bag, if you just need a gig bag -
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10697

On the clean and crunch type tones you won't hrae any squeeling at all. High gain tones are where you will run into this issue. Try the Brown sound or powerball preset and turn it up and you will hear it.

Sixstring said:
On the clean and crunch type tones you won't hrae any squeeling at all. High gain tones are where you will run into this issue. Try the Brown sound or powerball preset and turn it up and you will hear it.

But does it differ from any other high gain amp in this sense?

My Atomics arrived couple of days ago and I'm loving them so far, but I will confess that I've approached them very carefully. Low volume, low tweeter settings and work up. I find that observing the same protocols I'd follow with any high gain amp - knowing that there is the potential for squeal - have not prevented me from getting what I want. Even more than I want, actually, because I don't really play ultra-gain tones. But I can get to the level of what I would consider unusable gain without squealing - "unusable" meaning that it's in territory I know from experience turns to mush with a band.

I haven't found use for tweeter settings above the theoretical "flat" position of straight up, 12:00.

Still, as I said, I'm not a metal player so don't think that way. But still, are you metal guys really pumping so much gain that the Reactor FR's simply can't deal with it without squealing? Have you eliminated the possibility that you're trying to do something with the Reactors that don't reflect what's actually going on in conventional guitar rigs where the cabs and, potentially, the amps are restricting response in certain frequency ranges?

Not questioning anyone's veracity here, just asking if this squealing thing has been considered in that light?

I'm not a hard core metal player but I like to audition heaver preserts from time to time and that was an issue that I noticed when doing so. When playing the presets I have mentioned at gig volumes it squeeled and that was with the Tweet at noon and main volume at 2 O'clock.

However- that is not exclusive to nor caused by the Reactor.
I've squealed the axefx on a SS amp- it's combination of elements;guitar,room, gain, reflections etc causing the axefx to squeal.
One or more of the elements needs to be changed in order to prevent the reoccurrence. I find it easiest to change the parameters of the patch. .

I say this from the vacuum of my own environment- IMO it is not the Reactor causing the issue.

I just got a Fractomic and put 9.0 on my Axe. I can't tell exactly what did what, but the combination is just deadly for clean into mid gain sounds. I've just spent the last 2 hours exploring the Blackface and Tweed amps. I'm getting that BF Fender starting to explode with popping harmonics going off everywhere with a tele played with fingers in the bridge position. The Billy Gibbons grind I was getting out of the Tweed setting is just scary. I feel like I'm starting all over again with the Axe.

It was great before, but it's really great now. I thought Cliff did a great job when he rewrote the power amp models last time and I was happy, but it's even better now. And the Fractomic really brings it out. I'm noticing tons of bass in a lot of patches that I didn't know was there. It's very detailed. I need to explore more before really doing a review, but I'm too busy playing to write for too long.

Very happy right now.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom