Atomic CLR's - Anybody have one?

MikeAllenPugh

Inspired
Hi all,

From what I'm hearing, the new Atomic CLR's are pretty darn good. I have a Matrix GT-1000FX power amp which I'm more than happy with. However, not so infinite funds - which I'm less than happy with. :( I was thinking of either :

(a) Getting one, or two, passive CLR's (probably one cube and one wedge) and keeping the Matrix to power them.
(b) Getting one, or two, active CLRs' (again, probably one cube and one wedge) and selling the Matrix.

My reason for considering option (b) is because of the nice little feature that Pete Thorn was talking about in his review, where you can set the DSP for how you angle the wedge (floor, backline and on a stand). Apparently it nicely compensates to save you messing around with EQ's. However....how much of a difference this would make in various situations is something I don't know.

Does anybody have an active CLR and does it make much of a difference with the DSP settings? How does the CLR fair against other FRFR cabs you may have tried? I'm looking for something that gives a pretty much spot on representation of what I want to hear. I did try the Matrix CFR-12 and (sorry!) absolutely hated it. Great for 'chugga chugga' stuff, but everything in the middle was just....well....not good (to my fussy ears anyway).

Anyway, I'd be most interested to hear your views on the CLR's - especially from those who use the middle Fender\Dumble\Badger type of sims a lot. I know I could get one and try it out, but it costs a lot to ship anything into\out of the UK so keen not to waste cash (all musicians know all about this of course!).

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Look in the amps and cab subsection where these issues have been discussed time and time again.

I have the active CLR cabs and I really like them.

Will do, Luke. I think it will be good when more people get the CLRs to get a wider feel of what they are really like.

Wembley - ah....looks like they could be getting hammered on the production line. Sheesh.... :(

Will do, Luke. I think it will be good when more people get the CLRs to get a wider feel of what they are really like.

Wembley - ah....looks like they could be getting hammered on the production line. Sheesh.... :(
Hi MikeAllenPugh, thanks for your interest in the CLR. I think you'll find that quite a few people have CLRs already and have posted about it on this board - although I agree with you, the more the merrier. :) Production quality has been top notch and we're expecting new inventory in the first half of June. There are limited quantities of passives in both the US and EU inventory as well as some Active Cabs in the EU.

-TK

Thanks, Tom. One of the forum members lives near me and I think he has one on back order. Will be very interested to see what he thinks. If Pete Thorn reckons that that they are top notch then that's good enough for me. :) I'll have a think about which of the options is best, but if I can save a little bit by getting passive then all good. Just really interested in the funky DSP option. Running an active off one output and then a passive off another may be an ideal option (so just have to have a good think). Will G66 be your Euro distributor?

Thanks, Tom. One of the forum members lives near me and I think he has one on back order. Will be very interested to see what he thinks. If Pete Thorn reckons that that they are top notch then that's good enough for me. :) I'll have a think about which of the options is best, but if I can save a little bit by getting passive then all good. Just really interested in the funky DSP option. Running an active off one output and then a passive off another may be an ideal option (so just have to have a good think). Will G66 be your Euro distributor?
The DSP presets have been getting great reviews (including Pete Thorn as you mentioned). It really makes setting up different cabinet orientations super easy. The presets coupled with the high quality, very powerful power amp and the overall value has made the actives the most popular choice.

The passives coupled with a high quality / high headroom power amp are capable of performing just as well but may require some tweaking outside of the "home" position (like any passive speaker would).

Atomic now has it's own fulfillment/service center in the UK and has been shipping the CLR Series direct to the EU, Scandinavia and other areas geographically close.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
the CLR´s for Europe are delivered from Atomic Amps in Ireland. I am lucky to have two of the active wedges, I use them in our rehearsal studio and they are simply great. Worth every Cent. I use them as monitors for recording and to amplify the AxeII and they are perfect. I can only compare them to my FBT Verve 12ma and our crappy PA and there´s no contest.
I do not hear much difference switching between the tilt/backline/FF modes, depends on the room I´m sure. I use them live as floor monitors and in the studio on stands. Could not be happier with the sound, but the actives are quite heavy. If weight is an issue and if you do not need two inputs I would suggest the passives.

Hope that helps.

The CLR has been a revelation for me - the active wedge with DSP makes setup and stage monitoring fun and easy. My drummer can hear me no matter what - everything just works wonderfully.

I highly recommend checking out the Atomic CLR.

2 CLR Active Wedges.
And they're so good, my keyboard player asked (practically begged me) if he could keep them while I was on holiday.
We've been playing both through them and you get immersed in the sound.
They don't have to be turned up that loud to get a full sound.

+1 to all the favorable reviews here. The presets work very well.

Ive had two of the active CLR's since around Feb and couldn't be happier with them. They have a clarity and 'honest" sound
that I haven't experienced in any other FRFM or speaker. It replicates just what u put into it and doesn't color the sound.
As for the DSP, I also believe it is a major plus but that depends on whether u are using them in one place all the time or
gigging at diff venues with them, therefore eq-ing. They also have a good bit of volume and haven't been prone to overheat
or thermally shut down as say Mackies do. Highly recommend.

I'm on the list to get an active wedge. But I'm considering getting a 2nd to get the whole stereo sound thing. My current thought is to have 1 active wedge + 1 active cab for flexibility. But would it be a better idea to get 2 active cabs in this case?

Primary use is just bedroom player + some occasional jamming with friends. But I have some extra cash right now and don't mind spending it to improve my little music studio in my house.

Thoughts?

I'm on the list to get an active wedge. But I'm considering getting a 2nd to get the whole stereo sound thing. My current thought is to have 1 active wedge + 1 active cab for flexibility. But would it be a better idea to get 2 active cabs in this case?

Primary use is just bedroom player + some occasional jamming with friends. But I have some extra cash right now and don't mind spending it to improve my little music studio in my house.

Thoughts?

To get the best stereo experience it's best to have two identical speakers, so they can be placed symmetrically.
The wedge can be placed on end just like a cab and thus used both ways - that makes the active wedge the easy and obvious choice to me.
Btw, I have 3 active CLR wedges here, and I absolutely love them.

Thanks all! This is looking more and more like 2 Active cabs. Would really like to keep the Matrix amp, so may well go for Active \ Passive and have the best of both worlds (as the Matrix is such a good power amp). Time to mull this one over a beer. :)

Definetly get two the same. The stereo field is awesome. Wedges give you more placement options with a nice metal grille to protect those babies. I use 2 passives with a GT1600FX and it will do some hearing damage. I like having an option with a seperate power amp to drive other cabs if needed. My bass player says I have the most expensive CLR speaker stands in the world.
View attachment 15995

I have two Passive Cabs and have never ever been happier!!! They are just beyond words as to their depth and clearity. I know the powered versions are really in demand, but I wouldnt trade my passives for the world. And I am planning on grabbing two wedges to complete the ultimate set up!! Any way you go with these You cant go wrong!!

Back
Top Bottom