Atomic CLR setup question

JN99

Ok, so I have read the brief CLR manual and searched for info on setting up the gain structure on the CLR but everything I have come across omits reference to the output setting on the AX8, so starting this thread. Everything I have found only references the volume settings on the CLR i.e. adjust the input gain to just shy of clipping and then use the master volume to set desired volume. Sounds simple and straight forward but my question is at what output level on the AX8? Does it matter? Is there an ideal setting for the AX8 output or a recommended starting point? Is there a reason to have it at a certain setting before adjusting the CLR and will the sound vary much from lower output levels to higher considering the input gain on the CLR will be set to just shy of clipping either way? New to all this so any help is appreciated.

Usually you'd set the master on the CLR high to have the most headroom. The CLR does hiss a little with a high master. Turn it down to the point where the hiss doesn't bother you.

Select a really loud preset on the AX8 (engage the volume boost for leads, if there's one) and crank the output knob on the AX8. Now adjust the Input Gain on the CLR to the point where the signal doesn't clip.

Now turn down the output knob on the AX8 to set the desired volume level.

That's it. You've now properly gain-staged the CLR and you can adjust the output on the AX8 to set your desired volume.

So another question. After setting this up as recommended here I realized this means that I'm good for the current preset but volumes jump around from preset to preset. Not good. I've read that I can add a volume pedal which can act globally but is that the only means to control volume globally?

Any recommendations for how to deal with getting volumes dialed in for live use i.e. so volume is consistent preset to preset? It seems there should be a way to get them all roughly equal at any volume and then adjust volume globally for whatever the situation, quiet at home, louder at practice, louder still at a gig, etc.

So another question. After setting this up as recommended here I realized this means that I'm good for the current preset but volumes jump around from preset to preset. Not good. I've read that I can add a volume pedal which can act globally but is that the only means to control volume globally?

Any recommendations for how to deal with getting volumes dialed in for live use i.e. so volume is consistent preset to preset? It seems there should be a way to get them all roughly equal at any volume and then adjust volume globally for whatever the situation, quiet at home, louder at practice, louder still at a gig, etc.

Check this:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...tch_and_balance_preset_levels_.28VU_meters.29

Thanks, helpful. So one of those approaches should get the presets all in the same ballpark at gig volume but then say I do a gig where I need a little more volume, or I'm dialing back for practice because I don't as much volume. Short of changing the output every time I change to a different preset is there a way to just quickly dial volume in globally so all presets will be affected? My head is hurting...

Thanks, helpful. So one of those approaches should get the presets all in the same ballpark at gig volume but then say I do a gig where I need a little more volume, or I'm dialing back for practice because I don't as much volume. Short of changing the output every time I change to a different preset is there a way to just quickly dial volume in globally so all presets will be affected? My head is hurting...
Gainstage as descriped by Yek in post #2 an then use the output level of the Ax8 for overall volume control.

Ok, maybe I am confused or missing something. That is what I did and it worked fine but then the output level isn't global, it changes preset to preset. IS there a way to make it global? Or is the volume pedal the only option with the AX8 for global volume control?

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I am confused or missing something. That is what I did and it worked fine but then the output level isn't global, it changes preset to preset. IS there a way to make it global? Or is the volume pedal the only option with the AX* for global volume control?
Use the output level control knob on the Ax8 hardware.

Ah, I thought I was but think maybe I was fumbling around and had been adjusting the "soft" level knob and not the Out 1 level. Classic idiot mistake... :confused: Hey, it was late and I'm still learning my way around this thing...

Back
Top Bottom