Atomic CLR - expectation/experience

jamn4jc

Experienced
Just curious... for those that have landed a CLR amplifier: what was the immediate out of box experience? Once you got the gain staging set on the amp, were you able to use stock Axe FX II presets and get great tone, or did you have to do any tweaking to dialin the tones? I saw a post where someone took delivery Friday afternoon and gigged Friday night (impressive). What I don't know is what presets (custom or stock) were being used. What is the expecation? What has been the experience?

I found it pretty easy to acclimate to the CLRs from the monitors I had been using with the Axe prior (yamaha NS10's and HS50's). I think any time you switch from one speaker to another you will have to spend some time dialing things in. Just the nature of things.. I tend to use my own presets most of the time so I haven't spent a ton of time using the stock ones on the CLRs. i did run through some and some worked well and others didn't. Same as every other time I tried them. Very guitar dependent IMO. I will say that I got a pretty immediate "happy face" plugging into the CLRs on the first go. I ran my old Super reverb with pedal board rig as an A/B for fun and that got really interesting. These CLRs are killer...

Was crazy good for me.

I took down my nearfield monitors, put the CLR's up, did the gain staging and some SPL level calibration, then started by auditioning some full band mixes.

My AxeFX is always patched into my system, so all I had to do was power on the AxeFx and audition some presets. It rocked from the get go.

If you create presets at home through good studio monitors then those presets will translate extremely well to the CLR's. It's pretty much the opposite of the experience I had previously with many other FRFR solutions for live use where I constantly had to tweak my home presets to account what these other speakers were doing to my tones.

Bottom line is if you have some familiarity with what good reasonably flat studio monitors sound like then you will be up and running with the CLR very quickly.

If you create presets at home through good studio monitors then those presets will translate extremely well to the CLR's. It's pretty much the opposite of the experience I had previously with many other FRFR solutions for live use where I constantly had to tweak my home presets to account what these other speakers were doing to my tones.

Bottom line is if you have some familiarity with what good reasonably flat studio monitors sound like then you will be up and running with the CLR very quickly.

well said

If you like the sound you get from your studio monitors (assuming you have a good room to listen to them) then the CLR will deliver what you expect. All they do is deliver what you put in. In other words, if you like what you are putting in, you will like what you are getting out. Because they are as close as I've heard - even compared to BIG money monitors (studio/stage/home) to that ideal.

Out of the box experience?

Amazing, and - if I may - borderline mindblowing. Even the unpacking experience was delightful LOL. So, I get them set up in my temporary sesh space (broken/post-op ankle, so it goes), run the lines, do the set up as per the manual, and started in with my #1 (Gold Top, Darkback '57 Lester). While centered in the sweetspot of these 2 CLRs, the smile was impossible to holdback while running through some presets. I don't think any more can be said about how they sound - I've pretty well said it before. Perfect. Perfect AND loud, if you want them to be.

And, let's not forget, the entire setup (after they were removed from their respective boxes) took, um, 5 min?

Yep. They're that good.

Dang Ventura, Tom should refund you the price on one of those because those are some gas inducing words. China or not, i got to check these out! Good for you, I'm glad you found the missing link for you with the Axe.
I've heard some say these monitors are so clear they're unforgiving. Do you find that to be the case?

CLR vs working with a real amp

If you like the sound you get from your studio monitors (assuming you have a good room to listen to them) then the CLR will deliver what you expect. All they do is deliver what you put in. In other words, if you like what you are putting in, you will like what you are getting out. Because they are as close as I've heard - even compared to BIG money monitors (studio/stage/home) to that ideal.

The thing that strikes me about the Axe, or any other modeler for that matter, is that the idea that you could make the model react like an amp, WITHOUT having a real pushed power amp driving a real 12 inch speaker(s) is counterintuitive. a studio monitor is not a guitar cab. Using studio monitors as your sole interface with your sound yields VERY different feedback (usually none or very harsh sounding) than that of the humble 12 inch speaker.

For most really great tones (especially pushed or distorted tones) a full range speaker will just never create the same type of feedback (subtle or pronounced) that a real 12 inch, with a truly pushed power amp running it can. That feedback, pushing varying degrees of higher order harmonics into the color of each note and chord played is essential to every sound that I really like, as is the interaction of the power amp, which begins to compress in response to increased volume, altering behavior of the speaker, and therefore the colors of those higher order harmonics, as well as attack, sustain and other critical elements. none of that happens in the model, as it all happens between the the speaker driving the strings through the air. a studio monitor will never move the air like that, and therefore will never never create that essential feedback, nor will it change in character the way a real power amp does as more volume and input gain are added, especially as it pertains to the power amp's effect on the speaker itself.

For ultra high gain metal, this maybe less true, as it is with many extremely clean rhythm tones. However, for anything that leans in the direction of subtly pushed clean sounds to full on distortion with singing notes driven by colorful, sustaining feedback, nothing beats real 12 inch speakers and perhaps a real power amp that responds truly differently to various input levels, and drive the speaker differently as a result.

I have owned both the ultra and now the II, and have run them through both monitors (in my studio and and at gigs) and through real amps, and I just cannot abide the sound of either of them (or any modeler) going direct into monitors in most cases. The tones just seem to sit there, and in fact become harsher instead of warmer as more volume is applied. And this is not for a lack of trying various programming schemes in both situations.

All this being said, if you have some method of making a full range monitor react like a 12 inch speaker ( with the Axe or any other modeler) as it pertains to feedback and and the increasing compression and harmonic quality as input gain and volume are increased, please let me know!

Dang Ventura, Tom should refund you the price on one of those because those are some gas inducing words. China or not, i got to check these out! Good for you, I'm glad you found the missing link for you with the Axe.
I've heard some say these monitors are so clear they're unforgiving. Do you find that to be the case?
I am just an honest guy. And when something really makes me happy, I like to tell people about it - pretty simple. GAS inducing or not, China made or not, these "monitors" are of a class unto themselves - ESPECIALLY - considering the pricepoint. That's the key.

Are they unforgiving? Well, this is not an amp that we can slather gobs of gain onto and hope that powertube sag blends our bad bends. The Axe-II is dead accurate and surgical in its reproduction; and these CLRs do an incredible job of reproducing and conveying that accuracy and signal. So, hard to answer the question in its context... If you suck, you'll still suck through these. If you know what you're wanting to hear and know how to dial these qualities in, you'll most certainly hear them in a pristine and sonically perfect way.

They have completely changed the way I look at and work with the Axe-II. IMHO, YMMV.
Mo

Cool! Cliff's gonna have to get to crackin' then on the "FOG" parameter. :D

Pretty interesting post above too from this Jgor.

Works for me. Have played tube amps for 25 years. Ive never cared how i get the result. But i´m getting it. I still like amps a lot, but i dont need it. It may take time to get used to. I dont know. As i said. It works for me.

All this being said, if you have some method of making a full range monitor react like a 12 inch speaker ( with the Axe or any other modeler) as it pertains to feedback and and the increasing compression and harmonic quality as input gain and volume are increased, please let me know!

In my experience, what you are describing is a matter of SPL.

Crank up loud, get close to the speaker with your guitar, and you are there.

The CLR will get ridiculously loud but also sustains and rings at reasonable volumes too.

I personally don't want to expose my ears or my fellow musicians on stage to loud SPL levels. The extra ring and feedback is not worth the SPL to me.

Richard

Pretty interesting post above too from this Jgor.

I don't think this is anything new - most of us here know that the Axe-II through FRFRs is NOT going to be an amp+cab pushing air and acting as dynamically. Where things get lost in translation here is that the Axe-II is a modeler, and it'll give us what many analogue (tube based, for instance) setups "mic'd" will give us. The use of the Axe-II needs to be categorized:

- are you a home noodler, just admit it if you are, and if so, the A2 gives you lots of sounds to choose from, but you'll lack in-the-room-feel

- are you a gigging muso, and if so, great, you pipe the XLRs to FOH and you're in the same boat as meticulously painstakingly setting up mics (read: ugh!!)

- are you a recording muso, if so, great, guess what, every amp/cab on every album was recorded with - taaadaaaa - a mic, or maybe a line out as of late

- are you looking for the best of both worlds, amp feel and response with FRFR, if so, you can get there, but perhaps never 'absolutely'

There it is. Simple. All the intricacies and sonic physics aside, the A2 is a computer and it does quite a remarkable job (and increasingly, apparently, getting better) at making perfect reproductions of countless amps and cabs and mics and, now, even taking into account the FF pixie dust. It's a tool. The head on cab with cable, is a tool. They'll sound different because they're meant - designed from ground up - to do different things.

To throw a spanner into the works, this simple little recto-red patch I worked on a few days ago, whilst positioning myself dead centre in the CLR's (rather large) sweetspot, sounded better to me than any recto I've had the pleasure of driving. It was awesome. And the feedback from my guitar and the harmonics and the squeak of my fingers on the strings and the overtones - they were ALL there. Was it pushing air like a 4x12? Hell no. Was it just as loud? Hell yes.

So as a guy who has come from a FIRMLY entrenched belief that amps/cabs are superior in their sound and feel, I've simply come to realize this is a different game. And it's a very very awesome game once the facts are understood.

Mo

The thing that strikes me about the Axe, or any other modeler for that matter, is that the idea that you could make the model react like an amp, WITHOUT having a real pushed power amp driving a real 12 inch speaker(s) is counterintuitive. a studio monitor is not a guitar cab. Using studio monitors as your sole interface with your sound yields VERY different feedback (usually none or very harsh sounding) than that of the humble 12 inch speaker.

For most really great tones (especially pushed or distorted tones) a full range speaker will just never create the same type of feedback (subtle or pronounced) that a real 12 inch, with a truly pushed power amp running it can. That feedback, pushing varying degrees of higher order harmonics into the color of each note and chord played is essential to every sound that I really like, as is the interaction of the power amp, which begins to compress in response to increased volume, altering behavior of the speaker, and therefore the colors of those higher order harmonics, as well as attack, sustain and other critical elements. none of that happens in the model, as it all happens between the the speaker driving the strings through the air. a studio monitor will never move the air like that, and therefore will never never create that essential feedback, nor will it change in character the way a real power amp does as more volume and input gain are added, especially as it pertains to the power amp's effect on the speaker itself.

For ultra high gain metal, this maybe less true, as it is with many extremely clean rhythm tones. However, for anything that leans in the direction of subtly pushed clean sounds to full on distortion with singing notes driven by colorful, sustaining feedback, nothing beats real 12 inch speakers and perhaps a real power amp that responds truly differently to various input levels, and drive the speaker differently as a result.

I have owned both the ultra and now the II, and have run them through both monitors (in my studio and and at gigs) and through real amps, and I just cannot abide the sound of either of them (or any modeler) going direct into monitors in most cases. The tones just seem to sit there, and in fact become harsher instead of warmer as more volume is applied. And this is not for a lack of trying various programming schemes in both situations.

You have not played through the CLR yet. I have found through actually using it on the gig that it reacts far more like a real guitar cabinet speaker in terms of Natural sustaining harmonics and feedback than anything else I've tried. And I have tried quite a lot the different speakers and solutions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Out of the box was great! I leveled my global eq out as I had boosted highs and lows for my previous set up. The CLR's sound great and very amp like IMO. :)

a matter of spl

In my experience, what you are describing is a matter of SPL.

Crank up loud, get close to the speaker with your guitar, and you are there.

The CLR will get ridiculously loud but also sustains and rings at reasonable volumes too.

I personally don't want to expose my ears or my fellow musicians on stage to loud SPL levels. The extra ring and feedback is not worth the SPL to me.

Richard

Yes, it is a matter of sound pressure level, to a degree, because as volume diminishes, the ability of the speaker to vibrate the stings falls of precipitously. However, it does not need to be terribly loud, as you pointed out, to achieve various feedback effects, from subtle colors to all out higher order harmonic sustain. especially if you are in relatively close proximity to the amp. However, with a monitor, regardless of where you stand, you will never get a similar set of harmonics to that which a 12 run by a an variably sagging power amp will, nor will the tone and harmonic content be continuously variable as volume is increased, as it is with a real guitar speaker. Remember, the lexicon of sounds that we all grew up listening to were (first and foremost) all created by a guitar in front of 12 inch speakers and (usually) a somewhat (or often VERY) loud power amp running them. Full range speakers will never shake the stings in that manner, and so cannot create the entire experience (ala Robben Ford, Hendrix, Larry Carlton, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Van Halen, Scott Henderson, and the endless list of others.)

Don't get me wrong, it can sound great in certain applications to use a full range monitor with the Axe. I did a 60's show for several months that leaned much more towards the pop side than the rock side, and I used a mackie DL12 for that. it is a coaxial monitor rated at some ridiculous wattage (2000) and, although not as good as the rcf stuff i have heard, is still light years better than any non coaxial monitor one could find. For all those clean and semi dirty tones (Beatles, Beach Boys, and a bunch of other clean and semi distorted tones) it sounded great. It did killer Motown sounds (on the cleaner, less pushed side) and so on. ANY non coaxial monitor is a total non starter for any sound. They just sound bizarre, and NEVER reproduce anything like a proper feedback relationship with the guitar.

But for situations in which I want a real soloing voice for rock and fusion in which there is a fully dynamic relationship between the guitar and the amp, the axe (for me) works best with a real tube amp (pushed hard)and guitar speakers, cab sims off, power amp sims on, but tweaked for the amp and various patches. It behaves like a real amp, but with HUGE benefits an amp could never achieve in terms of flexibility and variety of sounds. I might someday entertain the idea of using both a real amp and coax monitor (perhaps the CLR) and have the best of both worlds (sound men will hate me, however). It is true that lots of "production" sounds translate better with that setup, including the cab sims (for instance, the Beatles Vox based sounds I was able to get were GREAT, and would not translate as well with the Axe married to a real amp). But, if i Have to choose, and for now I Do, I would choose the AxeII with the real amp setup for material in which I really wanted to have a credible guitar voice.

Scott suggests below that the CLR reacts much more like a real guitar speaker in terms of its feedback relationship. Perhaps I will be surprised, but I am reticent to throw a grand towards something I have never heard, and the arrival time of which is completely uncertain. So in the mean time, I will continue to use an amp in most settings, and a monitor for only very quiet or super small settings.

I replied to barhrecords, above, and then realized that it also pertained to your response as well, so please read that.

Regarding the CLR, how much closer to a 12 (in terms of the way it creates feedback) is it than other coaxials? (RCF, Mackie, Ect.)

Back
Top Bottom