Atomic Amplifiers

G.9

Just some general, rather newbish questions...

1. Is it closed back?
2. From the pictures I see only one input... does that mean mono operation when used with the Axe?
3. Is this stuff good for metal, or is it more geared towards the cleans? I was considering a 4x12 Avatar but in reality, I don't need that kind of volume.
4. How would this work with an Axe-FX, templates-wise and connections wise?

xrist04 said:
1. It is closed back.
2. It is mono. Get two for stereo.
3. Should be good for metal OR clean styles
4. Not sure. I think I remember hearing that the Atomic Reactor FR supported both XLR and 1/4" unbalanced inputs.]
Oh I see... so these amps work very similarly to studio monitors.

Now I'm wondering which is the more effective approach... obviously, having two separate speakers separated from each other will allow me to fully appreciate the Axe-FX in stereo... delay, and all that. Since I'd be buying two I guess I'd go for 112-50 pair, which costs $1200. As compared to getting a QSC power amp and Avatar 4x12, which comes out at about the same price. Thing about the latter option is that it's flexible; connect the axe to the house speakers or any pair of monitors I get on hand in the situation where my personal cab is inaccessible.

Just to be clear, there is a difference between the Atomic Reactor 112-50, and the Atomic Reactor FR.

The 112-50 is shipping today. The FR is in development.

xrist04 said:
Just to be clear, there is a difference between the Atomic Reactor 112-50, and the Atomic Reactor FR.

The 112-50 is shipping today. The FR is in development.
I feel like a fool asking this but that video featured the prototype FR's, right?

And if I'm using these speakers just for guitar, the currently shipping Reactor series will more than suffice, right? I'm not sure what the big deal about the FR's is.

For gigs, is the limit two 112-50's? Would getting two 112-18's be iffy?

Thank you for your help.

FIWI I dont think the 112 and the FR are the same at all. I havent heard either BUT theres a reason why so many people are making do with other things till the Atomic FR is released.

The 112 is/was aimed at pods etc, and is NOT true FRFR. I think youd be wasting your cash there.

Just personal opinion though.

Alright so after a badly-timed nap (perhaps the reason why I can't understand it) I read this thread.

Long story short, I recommend a different mind set: Stop thinking about what an unmiced cabinet on stage sounds like. Replace that instead with what a great RECORDING of a guitar rig sounds like. Reference your favorite recordings and get THAT sound into your head. This is your starting point for dialing sounds with a full range speaker.
And--reality check--this is what everyone else hears when they're out in front of a fully miced band or listening to a CD. Give your audience a killer recorded-guitar-cabinet-sound, and you'll be amazed at how many compliments you'll get about your tone from fans, strangers, and soundtechs.

So that translates into saying that an FRFR will provide this "recorded-guitar-cabinet-sound", right? And that would be achieved through using Axe-FX's cabinet modeling?

So for all the questions... but would these be considered "cheap"? It does come off as $280 each monitor... in addition, I'm wondering if this active pair will require a power amp for the axe-fx or if they operate as they would with the Atomic FRFR... just plug straight into the axe.

And in the studio, considering that I went with FRFR (whether atomic or not) would I still mic the cab as usual?

G.9 said:
Alright so after a badly-timed nap (perhaps the reason why I can't understand it) I read this thread.

Long story short, I recommend a different mind set: Stop thinking about what an unmiced cabinet on stage sounds like. Replace that instead with what a great RECORDING of a guitar rig sounds like. Reference your favorite recordings and get THAT sound into your head. This is your starting point for dialing sounds with a full range speaker.
And--reality check--this is what everyone else hears when they're out in front of a fully miced band or listening to a CD. Give your audience a killer recorded-guitar-cabinet-sound, and you'll be amazed at how many compliments you'll get about your tone from fans, strangers, and soundtechs.

So that translates into saying that an FRFR will provide this "recorded-guitar-cabinet-sound", right? And that would be achieved through using Axe-FX's cabinet modeling?

And in the studio, considering that I went with FRFR (whether atomic or not) would I still mic the cab as usual?
So, reiterating my question...

I think most people are planning to use one (or more :twisted: ) Atomic Reactor FR to provide their "stage" sound, while also sending a direct signal from the Axe-Fx on to the FOH desk.

xrist04 said:
I think most people are planning to use one (or more :twisted: ) Atomic Reactor FR to provide their "stage" sound, while also sending a direct signal from the Axe-Fx on to the FOH desk.
So how would it work out in the studio? Just mic as usual?

I think most people are planning to use one (or more ) Atomic Reactor FR to provide their "stage" sound, while also sending a direct signal from the Axe-Fx on to the FOH desk.

Which leads me something I've been thinking about...

There is much talk about tweaking the axe for each given speaker/cabinet situation. If one's patches are dialed in for optimal sound on the atomic FR, how likely is that to translate to a great sound through the FOH system? I would guess it would still be close depending, as both would be FRFR, but from what I've been reading there seems to be much fine tuning needed from one system to another. Still, the atomic would be giving tube warmth that you wouldn't be dialing in for FOH, no?

Hope this makes sense, I'm a noob and still don't have an axe yet, but eagerly anticipating. :cool:

G.9 said:
xrist04 said:
No. You'd probably get less-than-good results from micing the Atomic Reactor FR. It's a two-way system, with a 12" LF driver and a compression HF driver. Where would you place the mic? It would be like trying to mic a PA cab.

Think of the Atomic Reactor FR as more of a full-range, powered speaker system, with a built-in, ultra-clean, 50W tube amp. The amplifier section (designed by Harry Kolbe) will have more in common with high-end audiophile tube amps for stereo systems than it would with, say, a Marshall JMP 50W. :)

In the studio, run the Axe-Fx direct. It sounds excellent. Listen for yourself; there are tons of direct clips in the Recordings section of this forum.

xrist04 said:
G.9 said:
xrist04 said:
No. You'd probably get less-than-good results from micing the Atomic Reactor FR. It's a two-way system, with a 12" LF driver and a compression HF driver. Where would you place the mic? It would be like trying to mic a PA cab.

Think of the Atomic Reactor FR as more of a full-range, powered speaker system, with a built-in, ultra-clean, 50W tube amp. The amplifier section (designed by Harry Kolbe) will have more in common with high-end audiophile tube amps for stereo systems than it would with, say, a Marshall JMP 50W. :)

In the studio, run the Axe-Fx direct. It sounds excellent. Listen for yourself; there are tons of direct clips in the Recordings section of this forum.
Ah... alright. I think I have a clear picture now.

So if I record direct, will it be in stereo? I can see only one XLR output in the Digital I/O section of the rear panel.

G.9 said:
So if I record direct, will it be in stereo? I can see only one XLR output in the Digital I/O section of the rear panel.

Yes - that XLR output is not your ordinary XLR. It is just one of the digital outs (called AES/EBU I think). There's also the s/pdif which is stereo (and sounds fabulous! IMHO - better than the analog XLR outs for recording at 48khz).

TimmyM

Back
Top Bottom