Atmospheric post rock track

Per Boysen

Inspired
Used my new AxeFx2 for the melody/solo guitar starting around 2:40 into this track:
I'm very happy with the sound the AxeFx gave that guitar; a sheen that isn't to be found in the previously recorded guitars in the track (RME line-in). This guitar is very special to me as well, I bought one of the massively under-priced now discontinued Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II with the idea to turn it into sounding like a Gretsch "hollow body Les Paul". Therefore I replaced the dull Epiphone humbuckers with Lace Alumitones. This Epiphone also has a Shadow Nanomag active PU in the neck to give a semi acoustic sound, but I found that together with the two Alumitones the Nanomag's tone knob works as a morphing-pickups-out-of-phase control (it actually affects the Alumitones, so there must be some erroneous wiring inside, but I love it that way!). In this ultra light guitar (with sound chambers in the body) this off-phase type sound goes quite close to a Telecaster and it was nice to find how great the AxeFx articulates such glimmering pickup overtones.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I used the AxeFx2 for the bass. Played the bass line with an electric cello through Axe's Double Verb amp and CAB 8x10 Sv Bass (RW). Loved this bass sound and will use it more in the future.

Last edited:
Man I love this style. Do I hear some Strymon El Capistan in there?
Glad to hear that! Nope, no Strymon here - the AxeFx preset uses CPR, AMP, CAB, FLG, DLY (two delays in parallel, set to different time values to make it bounce and go "pad-ish" sooner), CPR, MTD, MTD, FIL, REV. The two multidelays (MTD) are set up as a send effect signal lop loop that also has its own SND-RTN loop. The first MTD runs Plex Shift and the second runs a Band Delay and this effect loop also has the Filter block. A lot of stuff is being modulated by Envelope, like for example the reverb level, to generally keep effects from clashing with actual guitar playing and rather fill in where I am not playing a note.

But that is just the melody guitar line. THe background guitar, that keeps going from the start of the piece wasn't recorded with the AxeFx. For that one I lined the guitar directly into the laptop and used plugins like SoundToys Crystallizer and EchoBoy plus the granular Spectral audio plugin suite by Michael Norris. But these plugins sound along the same ways as the AxeFx signal routing I described.

Just a note that I updated my post as I had forgot to mention that I used the AxeFx also for the bass line in this track, played on an electric cello.

Back
Top Bottom