Assign Exp Pedal to Multiple Parameters?

JazzMac251

Inspired
I can't figure out how to have one expression pedal do two things within the same preset, e.g. volume pedal sometimes, wah other times. It seems silly to me to lock a pedal into a single use. Why relegate a pedal to "useless unless Wah" when it could be "Volume until Wah" or " FXBlend until Wah"? I know I could just assign pedals to different parameters in separate presets, but that's a very inelegant solution to a somewhat straightforward problem. If I want to kick on a Wah for a solo, I don't want to have to worry about toggling FX8 modes to jump back and forth between presets to achieve that (not to mention remembering within a split second which preset is the Wah preset and how do I navigate to it quickly).

On my AXEFX2, I usually work with a Liquid Foot 12+ where this is possible. I attach controller 2 to FX wet/dry volume and controller 3 to the Wah control knob, then I tell the LF to swap the pedal's CC channel from controller 2 to controller 3 whenever I kick on the Wah IA (and vice versa). I know the FX8 can't do that exact solution, but is there some kind of similar solution available within the FX8?

What expression pedal are you using? And it's Saturday, we all have gigs.

If it has a toe switch like some of the mission pedals you could have the toe switch always engage wah and disengage whatever other thing it was doing.

Also possible to have the auto on work at the toe end and only go all the way to toe down when you want wah to kick on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can this be done with the FAS expression pedal? I've got one coming on Monday. I was hoping to get away with only one expression pedal to pull dual whammy/volume pedal duties like I can with my HD500X.

you would have to get a pedal with a toe switch to have it operate like the pod. the fas pedal does not have a toe switch.

Guess I screwed up then. :(

Oh well...first mistake with this unit. Certainly won't be the last.

No mistakes made on your part. If you mean having the one expression pedal control volume on Scene 1, and the Whammy on Scene 2 (or whatever one you choose) then it's entirely possible.

No mistakes made on your part. If you mean having the one expression pedal control volume on Scene 1, and the Whammy on Scene 2 (or whatever one you choose) then it's entirely possible.

I wanted to have them both available within the same scene or preset. Still not sure I understand the difference between those two.

I wanted to have them both available within the same scene or preset. Still not sure I understand the difference between those two.

A preset contains all the effects you want in it, scenes control which combination of effects are on or off.

You would create a preset that contains both a volume and whammy in it. Then use Scenes to turn off one while the other is turned on, for example switching to Scene 2 deactivates the volume block and turns on your whammy. In the Controller screen for each, you would select Expression 1 to control each.

Same preset, different effects, one expression pedal.

Guess I screwed up then. :(

Oh well...first mistake with this unit. Certainly won't be the last.

as retro_dad stated the fas pedal will do double duty but not with out some sort of switch in a scene or stomp to change it from one effect to another. with a toe switch you toe the pedal to switch this, like the pod pedal.

A preset contains all the effects you want in it, scenes control which combination of effects are on or off.

You would create a preset that contains both a volume and whammy in it. Then use Scenes to turn off one while the other is turned on, for example switching to Scene 2 deactivates the volume block and turns on your whammy. In the Controller screen for each, you would select Expression 1 to control each.

Same preset, different effects, one expression pedal.

I think I'm starting to get the idea. Doesn't sound like Scenes is the way I want to use this and not the way I have my HD500X set up. What I want is a different combination of pedals for each song in my set list. I name that combination whatever the song title is. Granted, there's usually a ton of overlap between the effects blocks in each of those songs. Then I use the foot switches to engage or disengage each effect. I never want to have the screen (scene) change during a song or go from one screen (scene) to another. I turn them on or off myself as needed during that one song and then scroll in the bank to the next song (pedal combination). So is there a different mode which will allow me to do it this way? A Stompbox Preset Mode or something?

Not sure if this is making sense. Guess what I'm saying is that if I have 15 songs in my set list, I want 15 different Pedalboards to scroll through in the bank - not 30 or 40 - and I will manually control the of/off of each effect in that song with the 8 foot switches.

Last edited:
I think I'm starting to get the idea. Doesn't sound like Scenes is the way I want to use this and not the way I have my HD500X set up. What I want is a different combination of pedals for each song in my set list. I name that combination whatever the song title is. Granted, there's usually a ton of overlap between the effects blocks in each of those songs. Then I use the foot switches to engage or disengage each effect. I never want to have the screen (scene) change during a song or go from one screen (scene) to another. I turn them on or off myself as needed during that one song and then scroll in the bank to the next song (pedal combination). So is there a different mode which will allow me to do it this way? A Stompbox Preset Mode or something?

Not sure if this is making sense. Guess what I'm saying is that if I have 15 songs in my set list, I want 15 different Pedalboards to scroll through in the bank - not 30 or 40 - and I will manually control the of/off of each effect in that song with the 8 foot switches.

Scenes work perfect for what you're trying to do.
Create a preset with FX you need for a song, and name it after that song.
Using Scenes allows you to turn on/off multiple FX blocks within the same Song preset as well as X/Y versions of each block with the push of one button.
For example,
You have Phaser, Drive 1, Drive 2, Chorus, Delay., Wah.......whatever your song needs.
Song may start of clean with Chorus and ambient Delay....that can be Scene 1.
If song switches to a distorted tone with less delay,
Scene 2 could switch on Drive block and switch Delay X to Delay Y for less Delay.

Scene 3 could switch off Drive 1, turn on Drive 2 and engage Wah for a solo tone.

Your Expression pedal could be assigned to Wah in Scene 3, and I assigned to Volume in Scenes 1 & 2 for example.

Scenes 1 & 2 don't use the Wah, so whatever active block you've assigned pedal to will respond to expression pedal.

Most effective way to accomish what you want.

Using IA ( Instant Access) buttons assigned to Fx works, but if you want to engage Wah, turn on a drive pedal and switch delays, you'd need to hit 3 switched to get it done.
With Scenes, 1 button does it all.

Example: Song Preset (insert name here)
Scene 1: Clean w/Volume, Chorus, Delay, X, Reverb.
Scene 2: Drive 1 w/ Volume, Delay, Revetb
Scene 3: Drive 2 w/Wah, Delay Y, Phaser

Etc.
All within 1 preset, and less latency than switching presets when done right.
Up to 8 Scenes for each song preset. That covers almost any tune you're doing with multiple versions of same preset.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom