ASM-12 Volume Pot Problems

mmpete

Experienced
Hi All

I have just received a second hand Friedman ASM-12. Quite excited until I set it all up and touched the volume control.

1. If I turn the volume pot to zero, it goes past zero to about 9.5 (in the wrong direction).
2. As I turn the pot, there are about 2 locations that feel like it goes over a notch or something (not sure how to explain that). Is there a notch at vol 10 ?

Has anyone experienced this with a Friedman or has this pot suffered some other type of damage. Naturally, the seller proclaimed that the speaker was in tip top condition save for a small nick on one corner.

Sound wise it sound find in the short trial I did tonight.

The other thing is the hiss that is constant. It starts off like white noise then dies down after a few seconds to what seems like just a high frequency. Is this normal ?

Anyone know how hard these things are to take apart and put back together ? (Hoping that the pot issues is just a nut on the inside)

Thanks

Hi All

I have just received a second hand Friedman ASM-12. Quite excited until I set it all up and touched the volume control.

1. If I turn the volume pot to zero, it goes past zero to about 9.5 (in the wrong direction).
2. As I turn the pot, there are about 2 locations that feel like it goes over a notch or something (not sure how to explain that). Is there a notch at vol 10 ?

Has anyone experienced this with a Friedman or has this pot suffered some other type of damage. Naturally, the seller proclaimed that the speaker was in tip top condition save for a small nick on one corner.

The other thing is the hiss that is constant. It starts off like white noise then dies down after a few seconds to what seems like just a high frequency. Is this normal ?

Anyone know how hard these things are to take apart and put back together ? (Hoping that the pot issues is just a nut on the inside)

Thanks

Got this from the manual:

NOTE that LEVEL control provides about 12dB attenuation in middle position. You will find that in most cases the best sound (lowest distortions and lowest noise) will be achieved when LEVEL control is set somewhere between middle and full clockwise position.

I have my ASM-12 set to halfway and basically forget about it because I control my volume on my Axe-FX II. I have the volume on my Axe-FX at about 9 o'clock.

I would read the ASM-12 manual on the Friedman website just to make sure you have everything setup right volume and connection-wise and if nothing else, I would contact Friedman and explain what is going on. My knob does not do that but like you said, could be an easy fix.

I have the hiss when I first turn on my ASM-12 but goes away to quiet after a few seconds.

Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread, but my question isn't worth an own thread i guess. I got my ASM-12 today as well, and I'm wondering whether it is normal that the sound comes out of the left side of the cabinet only (so just below the Friedman label) while from the right side I get only hiss?

BTW: My ASM-12 does not show the behaviour you mentioned with the volume potis.

Last edited:
I don't have an ASM-12, but just from your description, hopefully it might be one of these two simple issues.

See if you can remove the exterior knob from the pot spindle. Turn the spindle to its max & min points, and see if the pot body itself is rotating on the panel plate beyond max & min. If so, tighten the set nut. It's easier to open the panel to tighten it, as you can hold the pot body in place.

Another possibility. Assuming the set nut is tight, maybe the knob was removed previously, and not reinstalled properly aligned at zero. If the spindle is the toothed type, just pull the knob off and realign. If it's the set screw type, you'll have to loosen the set nut and rotate the pot body until "knob" zero matches with "panel" zero. If you're doing this without opening the panel, no need to remove the set nut completely, or you could risk the pot falling into the panel.

As for the two "notches," if the pot body is loose and rotating on the panel, maybe the notches are the points where the pot wires behind the panel are crossing or un-crossing themselves. This is just a guess. :eek:

I don't have an ASM-12, but just from your description, hopefully it might be one of these two simple issues.

See if you can remove the exterior knob from the pot spindle. Turn the spindle to its max & min points, and see if the pot body itself is rotating on the panel plate beyond max & min. If so, tighten the set nut. It's easier to open the panel to tighten it, as you can hold the pot body in place.

Another possibility. Assuming the set nut is tight, maybe the knob was removed previously, and not reinstalled properly aligned at zero. If the spindle is the toothed type, just pull the knob off and realign. If it's the set screw type, you'll have to loosen the set nut and rotate the pot body until "knob" zero matches with "panel" zero. If you're doing this without opening the panel, no need to remove the set nut completely, or you could risk the pot falling into the panel.

As for the two "notches," if the pot body is loose and rotating on the panel, maybe the notches are the points where the pot wires behind the panel are crossing or un-crossing themselves. This is just a guess. :eek:

Good points @Desmo808. I started to pull the panel off last night but it is stuck firm. I decided against it as if it is to be shipped back for a refund, I'd rather leave it in the state I found it. Having said that though, pulling off the volume knob is definitly a goer. Thanks for the input.

Got this from the manual:

NOTE that LEVEL control provides about 12dB attenuation in middle position. You will find that in most cases the best sound (lowest distortions and lowest noise) will be achieved when LEVEL control is set somewhere between middle and full clockwise position.

I have my ASM-12 set to halfway and basically forget about it because I control my volume on my Axe-FX II. I have the volume on my Axe-FX at about 9 o'clock.

I would read the ASM-12 manual on the Friedman website just to make sure you have everything setup right volume and connection-wise and if nothing else, I would contact Friedman and explain what is going on. My knob does not do that but like you said, could be an easy fix.

I have the hiss when I first turn on my ASM-12 but goes away to quiet after a few seconds.

Hey @Romainianreaper. Thanks for the tips. I'll definitly take a look at those things. I guess last night I got caught up in the emotion of receiving some faulty goods. It has happened twice before and on one occasion I was left out of pocket to the tune of $1700 (Ouch!!!!). Sooo, there was a bit of a feeling of deja vu going on and I didn't really get past hte first few pages of the manual. Still, I have contacted the seller and let them know that if this is going to cost $100-$200 to get fixed that I will be requesting a refund. I hope it does not come to that and am looking forward to giving this a run in a rehearsal studio.

Cheers

Hi All

Thanks

Set screw's loose dude.

Dave's commented on the hiss as normal.

Hey @Romainianreaper. Thanks for the tips. I'll definitly take a look at those things. I guess last night I got caught up in the emotion of receiving some faulty goods. It has happened twice before and on one occasion I was left out of pocket to the tune of $1700 (Ouch!!!!). Sooo, there was a bit of a feeling of deja vu going on and I didn't really get past hte first few pages of the manual. Still, I have contacted the seller and let them know that if this is going to cost $100-$200 to get fixed that I will be requesting a refund. I hope it does not come to that and am looking forward to giving this a run in a rehearsal studio.

Cheers

Yeah, that sucks man. Sorry you have to deal with that, especially since it is more expensive to get gear where you are. Keep the faith man. I can tell you that my Friedman sounds phenomenal, I love it, and definitely worth the hassle.

You guys nailed it. I undid the set screw and the pot is solid as a rock I spread the center spindle and refitted the knob and tightened it within an inch of it's life. It is as good as new - crisis averted! Thanks for the pointers as I hadn't noticed the set screw in my investigations. I guess I may have been just a tad caught up in a bit of a knee jerk reaction as a result of the aforementioned ebay debarkles ...

And yes - today I cranked it and had a go with some patches. Sounded just as everyone said it would - AWESOME!!

:D:D:D

You guys nailed it. I undid the set screw and the pot is solid as a rock I spread the center spindle and refitted the knob and tightened it within an inch of it's life. It is as good as new - crisis averted! Thanks for the pointers as I hadn't noticed the set screw in my investigations. I guess I may have been just a tad caught up in a bit of a knee jerk reaction as a result of the aforementioned ebay debarkles ...

And yes - today I cranked it and had a go with some patches. Sounded just as everyone said it would - AWESOME!!

:D:D:D

Badass!! That is great news! Good to know if anyone else has an issue that we can reference your post as a possible solution.

Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread, but my question isn't worth an own thread i guess. I got my ASM-12 today as well, and I'm wondering whether it is normal that the sound comes out of the left side of the cabinet only (so just below the Friedman label) while from the right side I get only hiss?

BTW: My ASM-12 does not show the behaviour you mentioned with the volume potis.
The left side is the 12" celestion speaker and the right side is a horn or round tweeter that is your high end side. You should be getting sound from both sides but they will be different. More bass and low mids on the left and crispy highs on the right.

Back
Top Bottom