Asking the Pro's: Does it get any better than this?

I thought that version 9 was as good as it gets. Played 10 and I can FEEL the difference.
I know that everybody has different taste but I'm asking the players with years of recording and touring:
Really, does it get any better than this? Would you consider the final sound that you can get from the Axe FX as good as any other set-up, no matter the limitations?

BTW, from now-on every 5th April will be known as "Cliff Chase Day", at least by me.

Yes. I have the actual real amps of several of the modeled such as a Dumble overdrive special and a deluxe reverb 1964 etc.
I still prefer the sound of the originals !!! However that being said this latest release is a significant improvement!
Just remember when version 7 and 9 came out people were saying it can't get any better than this. Well guess what in retrospect those version
sound pretty stale compared to this release. IMO there is still plenty of room for improvement to match the sound to the real thing although it constantly is getting better. It is definitely already worthy as a tool to use in a pro player's arsenal. Not to mention the bang for the dollar is insane!!

Yes. I have the actual real amps of several of the modeled such as a Dumble overdrive special and a deluxe reverb 1964 etc.
I still prefer the sound of the originals !!! However that being said this latest release is a significant improvement!
Just remember when version 7 and 9 came out people were saying it can't get any better than this. Well guess what in retrospect those version
sound pretty stale compared to this release. IMO there is still plenty of room for improvement to match the sound to the real thing although it constantly is getting better. It is definitely already worthy as a tool to use in a pro player's arsenal. Not to mention the bang for the dollar is insane!!

Thank you for your insight!

The Dumble and Fender may not sound exactly like the real thing, but they sound damn good. I love the ODS 100 preset (073) with drive pedal on. Absolutely insane!!

Cliff drops V9.02- 8 days before Christmas then V10 the day before my birthday. Love it! April 5 should be Cliff Chase Day

The amp modeling on the SLO, HBE, and Dr. Z are dead on. I agree, owning all of these amps would be great. But, I don't feel like I am sacrificing my tone what so ever. The matrix GT1000FX paired with port city OS cab really kicks it in to gear. Another big upside, I can wheel all my gear in from the car in one trip.

I've been doing this for awhile and I own a Marsha Friedman(#0024) and on FW 9 it took a lot of tweaking to get it to sound close. With FW10 I was able to get it scary close in 10min!
I also have the Splawn Nitro but I never liked it so I got it modified by FJA mods so I can't compare it.
Fw 10 is a big improvement but I have to do more testing. I like the way they lowered the amp levels to -12 and the MV is set to a level according to each amp.
Now it's quicker to name your presets with the A,B,C and D knobs! I hated scrolling through all the letters and numbers to name a presets.
Some of the amps sounded honky and I always needed to eq them heavily to get rid of the mids and now they sound neutral and it takes less time to tweak them.
I see a lot of tune amp snobs on Gearslutz unfairly criticizing the Axe Fx and also in the Avid forums. I wonder what will they say now with FW10!
Is not fair that, people like me who are old timers and had to go through hell to get a killer tone and now anyone can do it with the Axe Fx 2!Lol!
It's a great time to be a guitar player with tools like the Axe Fx 2 and we have to thank Cliff for working so hard and giving us such a great product to make easier for us to get great guitar sounds!

Does it matter? People would get more done if they were less concerned about if device A sounds exactly like device B. If both sound great, why not just use the one you like best or the one that is most convenient to you?

I was happy to ditch my tube rig for Axe-Fx Standard, happy with the tones I got from the Axe II in FW 8, 9 and now 10.

I'm not a Pro, but I am certain v10 is yet closer to my nicest valve amps, The feel is really getting there - at least 6 cleaner amps sound much better, I have no doubt the difference will eventually be nostalgia and smell rather than sound

I see a lot of tune amp snobs on Gearslutz unfairly criticizing the Axe Fx and also in the Avid forums. I wonder what will they say now with FW10!
Probably the same as they always have. Most comments on the Internet, as in life in general, are emotional responses.

Does it matter? People would get more done if they were less concerned about if device A sounds exactly like device B. If both sound great, why not just use the one you like best or the one that is most convenient to you?

That's exactly what I wanted to figure out, if the sound is at the tube quality, not if it replicates exactly such or such amp. To me it sounds that quality.

That's exactly what I wanted to figure out, if the sound is at the tube quality, not if it replicates exactly such or such amp. To me it sounds that quality.

Thats a loaded question!. I am one of these cork sniffer tube amp junkies. I actually collect NOS tubes and vintage amps. so here is my opinion for what it is worth.
There is definitely still a difference in sound between tube amps and the axe fx. Its really evident when you put the two side by side. I hear it as a
difference in how the overtones bloom as well as what I call digital fuzz. Which the only way i can describe is a fuzz around the distortion. I feel part of this is dependent on what speaker or method of amplification you are using. Some of that can be improved with EQ. That being said the latest version is an amazing(understatement) improvement in the sound.
Also realize most of these differences in sound can only be heard in the room. As soon as you mike up your amp run it through a pa or record it into digital media its is very hard to hear the differences.
The other thing you mention "tube quality" I have heard soooo many crapy sounding tube amps so that makes the question difficult to answer. An example is I have a 1964 all original deluxe reverb with vintage tubes. In the room in a direct comparison it sounds better than the axe fx. Its obvious.
Now I have heard current production deluxe fender reverbs and I would take the axe fx over them in a heartbeat. I have also played many current version tube amps at GC and the sounds coming from my Axe Fx in general to my ears are more desirable to me.
In the end its just another tool in the arsenal and I have found so much of your sound comes from your fingers so thats where I want to spend my time
working on my playing rather than get caught up in an endless tone search and believe me i have spent so much waisted time tweaking. An example I have spent a whole day switching out tubes in an amp trying to get just the right tone.
IMO in the end the question isn't "does it have that tube quality ?" The real question is how does it sound?
The answer is: great and it is also incredibly versatile and an amazingly supported product by the company(very rare in this day and age)
Will it replace my tube amps? Nope. Its a great world I have both :)
One thing I have noticed is how the axe has changed my thinking. When I am playing a conventional tube amp it may be sounding off the charts incredible but than that moment always comes when I want versatility and think to myself " wow it would really be cool to have a marshall sounding amp right now through a delay for this next song. Yet when I don't have my axe with me I am pretty much stuck with one amp sound.

I almost forgot to mention although I love my tube amps, I have sold all of my newer boutique amps since purchasing the axe fx 2 including: Carr Atremus, Tone King metropolitan, Louis electric, and a matchless. For those sounds the Axe Fx is close enough. I have kept all my vintage amps as those amps still have some magic IMO ( I know its subjective).

Last edited:
I have to agree with the gentleman above. In my experience when I started staking amps when a song that I'm writing requires it I here a difference when I start blending multiple amps with the Axe Fx 2 as opposed to a real tube amp. I usually re amp 2 or 3 different amps with one DI guitar to get a specific tone that I'm after.
I just recently upgraded from the Ultra to the Axe Fx 2 and with the Ultra when I start stacking tracks it sounded small, but with my tube amp the sound was bigger and I think it has to do with the unpredictability of a tube amp as opposed to the Ultra which sounded to perfect.
That might change with the new Axe Fx 2 which I intend to experiment with it. Some one at the begging of the this thread said something about why waste time doing an A B test and just get your work done, but when you have clients paying you to do a good job I need to make sure it's going to sound the best I can possibly make it.
I still have my tube amps which I still use( I got 10 of them) but after playing around with the new FW10 I'm really impressed with how it's sounding and the difference how it feels and interacts with my guitars I'm really enjoying it.
I write music for TV and it's nice to be able to have some presents ready to go when I get asked to write a cue or a song in 2 or 3 days and be able to concentrate on the writing and not on messing around with pedals, mics and what head to use.

Thanks again guys! Great to hear such detailed explanation about the guitar tone. The world of media and advertising can be so confusing! It took me a good 25 years to finally be happy with my setup, I guess I was just needy for confirmation.
Personally, I think I'm there, I got the right toy, now just to play more.

I still prefer the real tube amp experience. I stopped trying to reproduce the amp live thing. To me it's just easier to use an amp. With that being said, I notice a major improvement in the modeling.

Back
Top Bottom