As it sounds soo good-humble question-what is a Metallica MKIIC++

thunder100

Inspired
Hello Community

Just downloaded 3.03 and used as MKIIC affcionade the new Metallica ++

What a sound-and what a difference to the other Mark II's ( as in real live owned a few of them ,not 2 sounded same)

Now what is it based on exactely?
Real Amp?

Thanks for an enlightening answer

Roland

It's a model of the IIC++, a real amp.

The IIC++ is a factory-modded IIC+. It has boosted clean and lead channels.

MESA built only a few of those.

From reading around it appears it was an offered mod costing around and extra $500.00.
Boosted clean and lead as well as a altered eq section. I am assuming there were some changes done at the tone stack. In reading around on the boogie forums, there are varying numbers on how much boost there was. Some say 20-26db of boost, other say only about 6-9db. All accounts say the clean channel essentially became an overdrive channel, and the dirty channel became a high gain monster!

As far as I know it's Hetfield's own "Crunch Berries" amp (pictured). I also read somewhere that the power transformer is from a Mark IV as the original one blew years ago.

osoe1bJ.jpg

As far as I know it's Hetfield's own "Crunch Berries" amp (pictured). I also read somewhere that the power transformer is from a Mark IV as the original one blew years ago.

osoe1bJ.jpg
Cool picture(-->VERY understandable,the (8)settings obviously means arround that, adressing the notorious "same setting/same amp/ same everything-->F..k tone" is different now issue

Thanks for the answers

Roland

Cool picture(-->VERY understandable,the (8)settings obviously means arround that, adressing the notorious "same setting/same amp/ same everything-->F..k tone" is different now issue

Thanks for the answers

Roland

A circle around the number means the knob was pulled out. Many of those controls have pull out knobs for variations on sounds.

You can find the studio notes from the Puppets and Justice sessions on the Internet. They used the same notation.

osoe1bJ.jpg

When did he start using that? I know KEM was Marshall, (their Marshalls were stolen, hence the song Fade To Black), I think for RTL they borrowed some Marshalls and from that they were Mesa (until Diezel\AFX)

So was that amp around for MOP and AJFA? Or later?

When did he start using that? I know KEM was Marshall, (their Marshalls were stolen, hence the song Fade To Black), I think for RTL they borrowed some Marshalls and from that they were Mesa (until Diezel\AFX)

They started using boogie on MOP (prob on the road before they recorded it)

Great stuff
You know, I know a lot about this band. I can even tell you the year a picture was taken based on their hair cuts but I've never looked into their amps. It's strange cause it's almost an obsession with anyone else I listen too.

Master of Puppets, And Justice For All and Black Album (as preamp) were all Mark IIC+

Great stuff
You know, I know a lot about this band. I can even tell you the year a picture was taken based on their hair cuts but I've never looked into their amps. It's strange cause it's almost an obsession with anyone else I listen too.

Same. I tend to obsess over my favorite bands and their rigs during different eras. But I don't GAS for shit because I have a goddamn Axe-FX.

Any suggestions for settings on how to achive that Metallica tone out of a matrix 1000 gt and a real marshal cab ?
i use a gtr with EMGs

Any suggestions for settings on how to achive that Metallica tone out of a matrix 1000 gt and a real marshal cab ?
i use a gtr with EMGs

You should be able to get very close with that setup as Metallica used Marshall cabs throughout the 80s.

Read up about how Mark amps are dialled in - I did a fairly detailed post in another thread a week or so back - and that should get you really close as Metallica pretty much use those settings (that earlier picture aside)

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/issues-with-flub.115378/#post-1379551

Master of Puppets, And Justice For All and Black Album (as preamp) were all Mark IIC+
Not ALL. ;) Kirk used an ADA MP-1 at least in part for leads during the AJFA era; it was in use during the Black Album as well, IIRC. I think it was used by James for some cleans and possibly other stuff as well. But, alas, ahem, we don't have a model for that. :(

Ah. JC120 for Cleans as well I think. To be honest, they probably used so much stuff we'll never know fully. But the IIC+ was definitely the heart and soul of those albums.

Back
Top Bottom