ART SLA users; power amp sims ON or OFF?

Gasp100

Power User
TO each his/her own I guess, but I'm finding much better results with the power amp sims OFF on my current AxeFX - ART SLA1 - Avatar Vintage G112 cab (with Celestion Lead 80). I will say that I think the speaker should probably be replaced by an EVM 12L or something that I just really dig like the Scumback H75 for even better results. But, I hesitate to drop more cash on this "solution" because I'm on the wait list for the Fractomic FRFR and that me be IT for me.
How do your patches look using the Art SLA? Any crazy (but good) global or paraEQ happening?

Your right this is a to each their own subject I have seen it a few times on this board. Personally I like to use the P/A simm as a SS amp has no way of making P/A distortion. On some amp simms I pull the gain way back and twist the master and it gives you a totally different flavor. A little E/Q and most of the time you get some realy tasty stuff.

Depending on the room and cab's I'm running my global E/Q tends to run fairly flat. If their is any it's usally GEQ with emphasis in the upper or lower depending on the cab I run (412-112). Patch E/Qing can be all over the place but I find in a live setting I have to push the mids up a tad for some cut.

"Personally I like to use the P/A simm as a SS amp has no way of making P/A dist" -- this absolutely true. I've been working two new patches over the last two days (D*mble that was taken from the old AxeChange site and a Tweed on the verge of exploding) and they both absolutely need the SAG / power amp engaged to get any type of overdrive. I know about power amp distortion, but this was an eye opener for sure; never would I have known that some amps absolutely get a TON of overdrive from the power amp section.
Luckily the AxeFX is so freaking tweakable it took only a few minutes to EQ the patches with power amp sim ON to come to life. :mrgreen:

Another vote for the PA sims on with the SLA-1 here :D

You`ll find you can slighly change the character of an amp with the MV and how high it`s set, most older style amps do sound better with the MV set high.

Back
Top Bottom