ART SLA and Speaker Cone Question

LJHood

I am getting the ART SLA2 to use with my Axe. I am going to have a 2x12 built for me with Weber speakers in it: a 50 watt Blue Dog and a 50 watt Silver Bell. For maximum flexibility with the Art, what OHM should I get the speakers and should they be wired in series or parallel? I looked this up on the forum and am still confused. Thanks guys.

Id have them as 16 Ohm speakers wired in parellell. That gives you a 100W 8 Ohm cab. Thats fine for the Art, even in bridged mode at 520W into 8 Ohms (for headroom - just watch your volume).

Id also get a mono/stereo switch fitted if possible.

That gives you the option to run the Art in stereo, feeding approx 130W into each speaker (again no problem). You can then use the L/R ballance in the Axe to put more volume through one particular speaker (full L for one speaker, full R for the other - anywhere in between to blend them). That way you can use each speakers characturistic to taylor your tone.

I did the same with a V30, CL80. The CL80 is nicer for clean stuff, the V30 for higher gain and a mix for classic rock tones. Works a treat.

Dude, that is great stuff. Thanks so much. One last question, what do you use to connect the ART to a cab when running that cab in stereo from the Axe? Again, we're talking about a single 2x12 again with a stereo switch on it.

Yeh - single 2x12. It has 2 jack sockets on the back with a mono/stereo switch. In mono either socket feeds both speakers in parallell. In stereo each jack feeds one speaker.

When hooked up to the Art, just use it as a stereo amp, with 2 speaker leads - one from each side of the amp.

LJHood said:
what do you use to connect the ART to a cab when running that cab in stereo from the Axe?

The quick and dirty way is to take a speake cable and cut it in two. Strip back the cut ends and tin the wire with solder and capture them in the binding post (under the banana plugs) on the back of the ART, the cables will be attached to the back untill you unattach them so no plugging or unplugging to the back of the amp. Plug the other end(s) in to your cab as you normaly would.

The other way would be to build a jack plate using a pre drilled rack blank and hard wiring 1/4" jacks one for Leftr, Right and Mono to the ART and plugging in your speaker cables directly to that and your cab. It's a little more work and money but worth the effort.

I got it now. One last question, what cable do you guys use or recommend to connect the ART with your cab?

LJHood said:
I got it now. One last question, what cable do you guys use or recommend to connect the ART with your cab?

I just use an inexspensive but decent cable, VTG Audio I think is what I have, 14 gauge wire will do but 12 gauge would probably be better.

You could go nuts and run Evidence Audio Siren II or some super expensive cable like that but I've never really heard any difference between the two and the money you need to spend to get a difference you need a spectrum analyzer to see... well you get the idea, maybe in a long run but I think a bigger gauge wire will do more for you there.

The funny thing is when you open up the amp you won't see any fancy wire that is comming from the output to the binding posts. So if it's good enough for the Amp manufacture why not your speaker cab :roll: .

Back
Top Bottom