ART SLA-4

LordSalva

Hi, this is my first message on this forum, I do not speak English and use an online translator, I apologize if there is an error in translation of my words.

Thank you all for your understanding.

I am interested in buying a power amp Art SLA-4 but no information in this forum.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=85&cat=8&id=140#

My interest in the SLA-4 is that my cab is 4x12 V30, 4 Ohm in mono and 8 Ohm for chanel in stereo, and the Ohm of Sla-2 do not match my cab.
In the especifications from SLA-4 say:
Bridged Output Power, 8 ohms 2 x 280Watts/Channel RMS

Has anyone played with the SLA-4?

Is it the same sound as the SLA-2?

My other option is the QSC PLX 1104 but which is not best for my AXE.

I prefer that ART is 1 unit high, but not which is better.

ART SLA-2 is not played as 8 ohm stereo but I think it will be very little power.

Forgive me if I say foolish things are because I am using a translator online. :oops:

Thanks and greetings from Spain. :D

Welcom to FAS. Interstsing post I have not herd of the SLA-4, it looks cool and if it's anything like the SLA-2 it should sound great. A Very transperent Amp.

Dont worry about the Ohms matching, its just there to rate the amps power. It really doesnt matter too much - as long as you dont load the amp with a very low ohm (2 or under).

It will affect the power the amp pushes to your speakers - so in the SLA-2 case its rated at 200W per channel into 8 Ohms, so you'll get around 140W into your 4 Ohm Cab. If you bridge the SLA-2 then youd get 560W into 8 Ohms - so around 380W into your 4 Ohm Cab.

The SLA-4 is basically 2 SLA-2s in one box. Its a 4 channel amp rated at 100W into 8 Ohms each. It does allow you to bridge both sides, so 2 x 260W output into 8 Ohms. TBH its overkill. However, you can take the figures for a bridged pair into 4 or 16 ohms, and that will be the same figures as the SLA-2 - there just not quoted on the SLA-2 where as they are on the SLA-4.

The SLA-2 would be absolutley fine for your cab (in fact many here use them with a 4x12 4 Ohm cab). Personally I use an SLA-1 (bridged), but Im only driving 1 2x12 Cab.

paulmapp8306 said:

It will affect the power the amp pushes to your speakers - so in the SLA-2 case its rated at 200W per channel into 8 Ohms, so you'll get around 140W into your 4 Ohm Cab. If you bridge the SLA-2 then youd get 560W into 8 Ohms - so around 380W into your 4 Ohm Cab.

The SLA-4 is basically 2 SLA-2s in one box. Its a 4 channel amp rated at 100W into 8 Ohms each. It does allow you to bridge both sides, so 2 x 260W output into 8 Ohms. TBH its overkill. However, you can take the figures for a bridged pair into 4 or 16 ohms, and that will be the same figures as the SLA-2 - there just not quoted on the SLA-2 where as they are on the SLA-4.

The SLA-2 would be absolutley fine for your cab (in fact many here use them with a 4x12 4 Ohm cab). Personally I use an SLA-1 (bridged), but Im only driving 1 2x12 Cab.

I am not sure what you meant but what you are saying for going from 8ohm to 4 ohm is incorrect.

Straight from the ART SLA2 specifications:

Stereo Output Power, 8 ohms 200Watts RMS per Channel,
Stereo Output Power, 4 ohms 280Watts RMS per Channel
Bridged Output Power, 8 ohms 560Watts RMS mono
Stable into 4 Ohms bridged.

So the correct rating is 200W at 8 Ohms and going to 4 ohm cab on the same channel will give you more power not less (280W)

Mik.

Thanks for your comments.

But I think that the SLA-2 is small for me, now I'm using a QSC GX3 2 x 300 W to 8 Ohm. in my cab, and it is fair.

The specifications of the SLA-4 said that it can be used to bridged the channels 1+2 and 3+4 to 8 Ohm. 2 x 280 W /channel.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=85&cat=8&id=140

ART SLA-4
4 x 100 Watts/Ch @ 8 Ohms, 140 Watts/Ch @ 4 Ohms
2 x 200 Watts/Ch @ 16 Ohms, 280 Watts/Ch @ 8 Ohms (bridged)
2 x 100 Watts/Ch @ 8 Ohms & 1 x 280 Watts @ 8 Ohms (bridged)

Specifications
Bridged Output Power, 16 ohms 2 x 200Watts/Channel RMS
Bridged Output Power, 8 ohms 2 x 280Watts/Channel RMS

Thanks and Greatings :D

""I am not sure what you meant but what you are saying for going from 8ohm to 4 ohm is incorrect.

Straight from the ART SLA2 specifications:

Stereo Output Power, 8 ohms 200Watts RMS per Channel,
Stereo Output Power, 4 ohms 280Watts RMS per Channel
Bridged Output Power, 8 ohms 560Watts RMS mono
Stable into 4 Ohms bridged.

So the correct rating is 200W at 8 Ohms and going to 4 ohm cab on the same channel will give you more power not less (280W)

Mik.""

Fine. I gave the figures I did because from the best ohm match, doubling or halving the load usually decreases the power by 1/3 (roughly).

In this case it appears that that "best "match is actually 4 Ohms - but they rate it (on most info) at 8 Ohms. I can only assume thats because 8Ohms is the most common speaker impedance for studio monitors (which is what this amp is aimed at).

Lordsalva - An Art SLA-2 is fine for 1 4x12 cab. Seriously. Volume has nothing to do with Watts. you need 10X power to double the volume. The difference between the GX3 at 300 Watts, and the Art SLA-2 (single channel) at 280 Watts per channel is nothing. Theres a slight headroom reduction but nothing to worry about.

You can run your cab from one side of the SLA-2 NO problem - and add another cab too if you want. As long as you dont use a second cab, you could also bridge the SLA-2 to give more power, so more headroom than the GX3.

As I said, the SLA-4 is like having 2 SLA-2s in one box. Unless you need to bridge the SLA-2 to give the power you need for one cab (which you dont) - AND you want to use 2 cabs (which you dont currently have) then there is no need for the SLA-4. Id lay high odds if you got onw, you'd only use 2 channels (either stereo twin channel or mono bridges) anyway - which is what the SLA-2 is.

Seriously - do a search hear and you find plenty of people powering 2 4x12 cabs from the SLA-2 in stereo - or one in bridges mode.

Your not going to get any more power - or volume - from the SLA-4.

I am sure that the SLA-2 it's ok for a 4x12 to 8 Ohm in mono and 4 for channel in stereo mode.

But to my box at 4 Ohm mono and 8 stereo I think seems little.

paulmapp8306 said:
Lordsalva - An Art SLA-2 is fine for 1 4x12 cab. Seriously. Volume has nothing to do with Watts. you need 10X power to double the volume. The difference between the GX3 at 300 Watts, and the Art SLA-2 (single channel) at 280 Watts per channel is nothing. Theres a slight headroom reduction but nothing to worry about.
What you say is incorrect.
My GX3 are 300 W for channel to 8 Ohm and the SLA-2 200 W for channel in 8 Ohm. (280 Watts per channel is to 4 Ohm.)
Are 600 W from my GX3 versus 400 W from SLA-2.

400 may be sufficient ...

The question would be whether the SLA-2 can run on a 4 ohm bridge mode, and how many watts would be.
I do not like that in the specifications say nothing about 4 ohm bridge mode.

200W is only like 2 dB less loud than 300W. Should be hardly noticable.

There is also that you should not believe all the numbers manufacturers throw at you, much of it is more related to marketing than technology. And that one amp's 200W may be another amp's 300. Has to do with efficiency.
Look around here and you'll see lots of real-world people attesting that the SLA2 is plenty loud. If it'll be loud enough for you is of course up to you. I can hardly believe 200 Watts isn't enough for anything.

I do not own one, BTW, I'm just relating what I read and heard elsewhere.

It will run in bridged mono mode into a 4 ohm cab.

TBH though - why do you need that?? your already getting 280W into 4 ohms from a single (unbridged) channel on teh SLA-2. Your never going to need more !! Plenty of people here run 2 4x12s from an SLA-2 (in stereo). Most 4x12 cabs are 4 or 16 Ohms. 16 Ohm cabs will be quieter as they'll get less Watts so your set up would be at the louder level that others are using wquite happily.

As I said, I run my SLA-1 into a 2x12 cab in bridged mode - which is 260W. Its so loud - more than my VHT 50ST head was - and thats running at -6db on the amp and the axe on 3/4.

-6db down from the 260W max is only somewhere around 85W, and for volume thats fine. The extra is usefull for headroom. Even given yours is 4 speakers (which wont make too much difference to volume, as what you loose per speaker you gain in extra mooving air) you would get the same effect as running 2 2x12 cabs, with 2 SLA-1s at the same settings with 170W. the SLA-2 into 4 Ohm is 280W - so you'd still have 100+ Watts of headroom.

If you can try one, do - youll be really surprised.

If you really want the SLA-4 then get one. Its your money after all. The sound and quality are going to be the same, and its still 1U. Just dont be surprised if you only ever use 2 channels ;)

Ok, thank you very much guys.

I have buyed The ART SLA-2, now is on its way to my house.

Yesterday to ask the people of ART by the specifications of the SLA-2 at 4 Ohm. and I responded very fast.

Question: Hello, I am interested in SLA-2 power amp, but my speaker is 4 Ohms, and
the specifications of the SLA-2 says that only works in 8 Ohm bridge.

Can operate at 4 Ohm Bridge?

Thank you

Answer:

Hello Salva

Thanks for your interest in our SLA-2

4ohm specs are: Stereo/2ch: 280Watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms, 33.5Volts
RMS continuous
Bridged: 680Watts RMS into 4 ohms, 52.2Volts RMS

All the best
Steve Hendee
ART Sales Manager
www.artproaudio.com

680 W RMS :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Greatings from Spain ;)

:D

Glad youve seen the light - you wont be dissapointed.

If I may suggest you hook it up to a single channel first rather than bridged. I dont think you'll be dissapointed.

If you do run it in bridged mode, be VERY carefull how hard you drive your speakers. You can easily dammage them with 680W if your not carefull. Keep the volume down from full (quite a bit !), and rely on your ears to spot any potential overdriving of your cab.

Enjoy..

paulmapp8306 said:
-6db down from the 260W max is only somewhere around 85W, and for volume thats fine. The extra is usefull for headroom.

6dB down from 260W would be 65W.

The position of the volume knob allows you to conveniently contol the level you want but does NOT mean anything at all for the available output power though!

The amplifier can (and will) still deliver it's full output power when the knob is at -6dB, it just requires a 6dB higher input level to do it. Amplifiers do not have output power controls, they have input sensitivity controls.

You can not claim any power level based on the knob settings, that just does not work. The same goes for the output knob position on the Axe-Fx, it really doesn't mean anything as there are way more factors that determine the output level besides that.

S.R.

Yes I appreciate all that.

But, for a 0db input, the 0bd (max) output on the amp will give the macx rated power (260W). For the same input the -6bd will give 1/4 max power, which as you say is 65W (not the 85 I stated).

Also as you stated though, there are other factors. I have measured the OP power with Axe at full O/P (with my patches at 0db) at -6bd on the amp,into 8 Ohms - and it measured 85W.

Given my cab is a 60W cab, but I dont have the axe full - thats fine for me - and the fact is I have 6 db of headroom brfore the amp clips (and potentially causes speaker damage) which is also good. The speakers should take a 6db spike if that does happen.

Back
Top Bottom