ART SLA-2 vs. SLA-1

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
OK, now I'm not so sure an SLA-2 is for me. If I got an SLA-1 I could use it to drive my 2x12 cab without danger of blowing the speakers (as it's half the power). Would it supply enough headroom though? Are there any other benefits in getting an SLA-2 instead (given that all I want it for is to drive my backline)?

It depends on the band you are playing with.
If you are not playing in a rather loud rock band with one or maybe even two other guitars, a bass and a loud drummer, then the SLA-1 might be sufficient.

I play in the above mentioned scenario, another guitarist and our singer also occasionally plays a third guitar, and with that i had to crank the SLA-2 to keep up with the levels already!

So, i'd say if you can afford the SLA-2, get that one, you rather want too much headroom and turn down than having to little headroom and getting bad sound..

quasimono said:
It depends on the band you are playing with.
If you are not playing in a rather loud rock band with one or maybe even two other guitars, a bass and a loud drummer, then the SLA-1 might be sufficient.

I play in the above mentioned scenario, another guitarist and our singer also occasionally plays a third guitar, and with that i had to crank the SLA-2 to keep up with the levels already!

So, i'd say if you can afford the SLA-2, get that one, you rather want too much headroom and turn down than having to little headroom and getting bad sound..
OK, so it would seem the SLA-1 won't cut it. Anyone else want to chip in?

Stringtheorist said:
OK, so it would seem the SLA-1 won't cut it. Anyone else want to chip in?

I am in the UK too Mr Stringtheorist and I have just bought the SLA-2, I play in a rock 4 piece with one guitar, I figured for the extra money it would be worth getting the "2" I play through a 4x12 too (sometimes in stereo).

I will however be using a 2x12 from time to time when I do rock n roll and rockabilly gigs.
Rather have too much than too little, Just gotta be careful your not raping those speakers.

Just my 2 pence.

I've got the SLA-1 and in bridged mono, its loud enough for me. I play with a 7 piece band that has some substantial stage volume. The other guitar player runs a Dual Rec half stack and in bridged mono the SLA-1 has no problem keeping up. I only run it at 50% with a VHT 2x12 cab and its plenty loud. If you think you might want to go stereo then the SLA-2 is the way to go.

jarrett said:
I've got the SLA-1 and in bridged mono, its loud enough for me. I play with a 7 piece band that has some substantial stage volume. The other guitar player runs a Dual Rec half stack and in bridged mono the SLA-1 has no problem keeping up. I only run it at 50% with a VHT 2x12 cab and its plenty loud. If you think you might want to go stereo then the SLA-2 is the way to go.

Yep, I'd certainly want to experiment with a stereo hookup. I guess the SLA-2 it is then.

It works for my rig very well... I have also run a pair of 112's from this as well, you just don't turn it up. I would rather have too much than not enough. I alsways run the ART wide open and controll the volume from the Axe. For a single space I don't think you can do much better for the $$$.

DSCN0376.jpg

Lionman said:
What's your signal flow on this rig? Are you hitting the monitors with the ART and the 4x12's with the head?

At this piont, anymore the head just sit's their. After I bought the Axe I havent played through it very much. The Axe and ART are driving the 412's. I use the monitors for the drum machine's and multi track. I have a few patches for when I get the itch and I hook it up using 4CM and use the Axe for effects only. I also have an Axess CFX4 for Ch switching the head via the GCP.

Again - depends on what you want to do.

I play in a loud rock band, and my SLA-1 in bridged mode is fine. I run it at -9db (so roughly 40 Watts) into my 2x12 VHT cab. Ive never had the axe more than 3/4 up either.

I have also run it in stereo with my 2x12 and a mates Orange 2x12 - just to try stereo. That was fine with the SLA-1 too, though it was up full on either side - axe at 3/4.

I dont mic up on stage either - my backline proves all my sound, and ive played up tp 400 people (not more though unfortunately).

Having said all this - if budget isnt an problem (I had to get everything I needed in a fixed budget), Id still go for the SLA-2. It wont damage your 2x12 if you run it single sided, and it will leave a free channel for another cab if you want to go stereo.

Back
Top Bottom