ART SLA 2 A/B'd Mesa 2:90 - First impressions

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I picked up an ART SLA 2 today to finally compare (to my ears) and see if it could stand up to my mesa 2:90. My hopes are to get similar results with the ART so i could sell the mesa and have spare change to fund towards other gear..e.g. mfc 101:mrgreen BTW, I don't gig; just playing at home--so I've always felt the 2:90 a bit overkill for my needs.

First I should mention that I am running into a Mesa recto 212 cab. I have been using the same preset and tried to set everything so as to compare apples to apples as best I could. I know that the ART coming out of the gate is at a disadvantage in some ways...so i spent some time eq'ing and adding the power sims to compensate:ugeek--with some pleasing results.

I am open minded to going all the way with a digital route and don't believe I have some subconscious need for tubes in my chain. After comparing the two poweramps--I was definitely leaning towards one. I thought it might be my bias (no powertube pun intended here:) so I called my wife over. She generally has no ear for subtleties in sound and not a whole helluva lot of interest in a 'gear showdown.' I sample both for her without telling her which one was which (or which was cheaper!{ART SLA}--that would bias her ears) the result: She chose the mesa 2:90 and said it sounded fuller and deeper. I did not have any of the mesa voices on (deep extended etc...)

My analysis so far is that the ART SLA 2 although sounded pretty good; just doesn't cut the bacon for me. It seems 'thinner'/strained with a lot less headroom obviously. I intend to play around with the ART just for kicks--but I am pretty happy with the mesa.

I was thinking about an alternative to the mesa as I was feeling like my sound is pretty dark--mesa poweramp-mesa cab + a petrucci guitar which is already a bit dark sounding. I figured a less 'colored amp' might lighten things up a bit. any VHT 2/50/2 users out there? thoughts?

Hey Chewie, I have the same Mesa 2x12 cab with the VHT 2/50/2 and it sounds great through it, that is when I use it. Usually just play direct through the board, less to carry and I don't have the strength of a wookie. ;-)

Now I've never played through a Mesa power amp so I don't know how they compare to the VHT, but I really like the tone and versatility of the 2/50/2. Is your cab wired for stereo? I installed a jack plate that has a switch to go from mono to stereo which comes in handy. I know it's not going to be a huge stereo effect with just the one cab but I run 6l6's in one channel and EL34's in the other so I get a nice blend of the two power tubes.

Hey Chewie, I have the same Mesa 2x12 cab with the VHT 2/50/2 and it sounds great through it, that is when I use it. Usually just play direct through the board, less to carry and I don't have the strength of a wookie. ;-)

Now I've never played through a Mesa power amp so I don't know how they compare to the VHT, but I really like the tone and versatility of the 2/50/2. Is your cab wired for stereo? I installed a jack plate that has a switch to go from mono to stereo which comes in handy. I know it's not going to be a huge stereo effect with just the one cab but I run 6l6's in one channel and EL34's in the other so I get a nice blend of the two power tubes.

I have been thinking about the VHT 2/50/2 as I think I could manage one used for about the same price I could sell my 2:90 used. My cab is only mono but I'm thinking a second cab down the road. So you have EL34's in one side and 6l6's in the other? didn't know you could do that...is that particular to the VHT i wonder...

You spend one day and your complaining............
Are you trying to make the art sound like the 2:90?
I believe you'll need to to spend more time before forming a conclusion.
I own a vht 2502,rt 2/50 and a art sla2 and run through avatar cabs and custum scumback speaker cabs as well as FRFR atomics passives and qsc active's
and I'll tell you that I can get any combination of power amp, speaker and totally
gig happily with 'em
The 2:90 is very very colored and not an ideal pwr amp for the axefx (I believe Cliff recommends a certain GEQ curve to match this pwr amp but I never liked the the 2:90 anyway)
But you like what you like so at least you have a tone that satisfies
that is until you can actually exspose your ears to alternatives...........
The great thing about the axe is it will make all aspects of your tone/playing improve
It's a journey and now with the axe-fx you have the tools to make any pwr amp relate to any cab. Your ears are opening up and it's all good enjoy the ride
"But be patient grasshopper"

True...i've only had one day to spend with it and there is likely part of my brain that is trying to compare it to the mesa. I do plan to spend more time with it. So far, the ART just seems to lack that oomph for lack of a better term. when i play via mesa--like a blanket comes off the cab. I agree the mesa is pretty colored, I guess that's why some love it...and why some aren't so fond. I will likely lean towards tube power but perhaps will look for something less colored than the mesa--which is why i mentioned the VHT. I don't have any experience with the VHT's and there are not any local dealers that can get them, AFAIK, but I know many have used them with the AXE [those who are using tube poweramps anyways] ; all good comments and I appreciate when someone points something out that I haven't considered.

no Chewie did not...no idea why i just started off in third person? yeah I know bridging the amp is an option but eventually want to run stereo so...;six string, i see you run ART with FRFR monitor's, I wonder how that sounds. I have heard the ART is well suited for passive monitors...which makes sense being a linear amplifier. I did consider getting some passive atomics or something, in which case I'm sure the ART would work really well.

Heard great things and some great YouTube demo's using the VHT 2/50/2..if your wanting a great amp that doesn't color as much as a Mesa i think you won't find anything better a few on here use it and love it!

no Chewie did not...no idea why i just started off in third person? yeah I know bridging the amp is an option but eventually want to run stereo so...;sixstring, i see you run ART with FRFR monitor's, I wonder how that sounds. I have heard the ART is well suited for passive monitors...which makes sense being a linear amplifier. I did consider getting some passive atomics or something, in which case I'm sure the ART would work really well.

Yup they work pretty good but I started out running them through a pair of 412 cabs which also sounded really good. I understand the slight difference between the tube amp vrs SS I been there done that as well. I just chose to spend a little more time with the EQs then ultimately running FR. Try running the ART in Mono to your cab and see if it makes a difference.

I owned both and then got a mesa 2:100 which kicked the 2:90's butt when used with the axefx. My end results with the Art sla2 was lifeless and sterile. Save your time and move on imho. Ymmv.

I tried two different tube power amps prior to getting the ART. There was no difference and to call the ART sterile and lifeless you have to consider the unlimited potential for variance in each of our; pre sets, tonal preference guitars, pups ect. Case in point the guy who started the thread admitted he uses mesa gear and a Petrucci axe (and likely a couple of go to pre sets he likes that are dark and heavy). My point is to make any dogmatic responses you should include; do you try to cover a lot of tones with the Axe Fx or just a specific sound and are you running FRFR. Another aspect for those of us who play live is wanting a single rack space for the amp. A last side note, most in this forum respect Mark day's tone and perspective and he mentioned to me in several e-mails that he has tried every amp mentioned in this thread he has opted for the SLR for the cabs and the powered Atomics both used live.

I want to hear some sound clips of the ART A/B'd with any tube amp for some perspective as words can never fully describe tone.

valid point there ol'chap; opinions are like elbows and everyone has one:) it's true that describing tone is super subjective and there are many factors that have a bearing on the tonal result a person is trying to describe. Did i use a variety of presets? not many yet-but i've tried using some cleans along with some bluesy patches as well. I never intended to be dogmatic about my finding...just wanted to share my 'initial impressions.' for those of you with the ART; i would be gracious if you shared any eq'ing tips etc...i.e. poweramp sim adjustments/eq before/after amp block etc...In all honestly I would love to be wrong as the ART in many ways simplifies things for me. cheers

Last edited:
I owned both and then got a mesa 2:100 which kicked the 2:90's butt when used with the axefx. My end results with the Art sla2 was lifeless and sterile. Save your time and move on imho. Ymmv.

Curious as to what difference you noticed? I know Mark Day had said at one point that the mesa 2:100 was one of his preferred poweramps back in the day. Did you find the 2:100 less 'colored' than the 2:90?

I was thinking about an alternative to the mesa as I was feeling like my sound is pretty dark--mesa poweramp-mesa cab + a petrucci guitar which is already a bit dark sounding. I figured a less 'colored amp' might lighten things up a bit. any VHT 2/50/2 users out there? thoughts?

If your main complaint with your sound is that it's too dark, I don't think the 2:90 is to blame. I run a 2:90 and my sound is always pretty bright. The difference? My guitar and cabs.

Have to say, I used the Art for 14 months. it sounded pretty good - Until I tried a tube power amp. Firstly the power section of an amp (well two - my VHT 50ST and a mates Orange Thunderverb) - then a Marshall EL34/34 in a shop - then the VHT 2:50:2 that I now own. I know what you mean about lifeless. I found it a little dull in the lower mids, and too thick in the upper mids. Its not a trebble/prescence thing, I think the mids are too much. That MAY be because valve power amps tend to have a smiley face EQ - however as my patches were designed on the Art, Im not convinced thats the whole story. The Valve solutions just sounded better.

Those who know me will see Ive been working with the Matrix XT800 - which is much better, much closer. the response and EQ are much closer in eyes, and with some EQ on the output I get very close (unlike the Art where I just couldnt get it right0.

Its not 100% there, Its a tad smoother than the VHT - slightly less aggresive but im hoping the GT800 will get closer still. There are SS solutions that are workable - and some with a lot of promise (the Matrix, Brysons, Stewart Audios) but not in the price bracket of the Art. I dont think your going to save much cash chasing a SS option as good as a valve one, though if your prepared to spend the same kind of money, they are an option - and save weight.

Curious as to what difference you noticed? I know Mark Day had said at one point that the mesa 2:100 was one of his preferred poweramps back in the day. Did you find the 2:100 less 'colored' than the 2:90?

The 2:100 will have more headroom. It's wired in class A/B. The 2:90 is Simul-Class A-A/B hence the coloration. The 2:100 is basically the power section of 2 dual rectifiers and these amps are known for preamp distortion with little power tube breakup so it would be in it's nature to be "cleaner".

I have the Mesa 2:90 and too tried the Art SLA-2. It didn't make the cut.....the size and lightness was awesome but the sound had no balls.

If you never tried a tube power amp before and tried it I think you would be happy....but there is no comparison between the Mesa and it....Mesa wins hands down!

Back
Top Bottom