ART SLA-1 vs. SLA-2

Get the SLA-2. The SLA-1 just isn't loud enough. You want lots of headroom even if you don't use it. It will sound better.

In bridge mono mode the SLA-1 puts out 260W in 8 ohm.
1 - I understand that any brand 40W guitar combo/head amp doesn't have enough clean headroom when playing loud,
but isn't 260W a lot more than than most amps?
2 - So about where is the limit for the SLA-1, in what situation/speakers?
3 - Will it drive a mono 2x12 cab (100w each speaker) without problems only at low bedroom volume, not when pushed hard?
4 - In a blindtest, would anyone easily pic out the SLA-1 vs SLA-2 (or similar power amps), both using clean and distorted sounds, or is it just a placebo effect?

My fist post in this great forum.
Just one more year, then I can afford an Axe... :eek: :mrgreen:

Just get the SLA-2. It is just slightly more expensive for twice the power and more importantly, headroom.

There are folks on the forum that run TWO 4x12's with the SLA-2. :twisted:

Here in Europe the SLA models are more than twice as expensive as in USA.
SLA-2 $300 in usa, about $588 from Thomann.
SLA-1 $200 in usa, about $428 from Thomann.

My limit is about $300 so I'm after a used SLA unit or equally popular at a good price.
Anyone here have experience with other power amp brands/models found on Thomann here?:
http://www.thomann.de/se/foerstaerkare_upp_300_w.html

Also, some advice and explanation on my headroom question posted above would be great.

Lemurstrat said:
In bridge mono mode the SLA-1 puts out 260W in 8 ohm.
1 - I understand that any brand 40W guitar combo/head amp doesn't have enough clean headroom when playing loud,
but isn't 260W a lot more than than most amps?
2 - So about where is the limit for the SLA-1, in what situation/speakers?
3 - Will it drive a mono 2x12 cab (100w each speaker) without problems only at low bedroom volume, not when pushed hard?
4 - In a blindtest, would anyone easily pic out the SLA-1 vs SLA-2 (or similar power amps), both using clean and distorted sounds, or is it just a placebo effect?

My fist post in this great forum.
Just one more year, then I can afford an Axe... :eek: :mrgreen:

1. To get double the volume you need 10 times the power. An SLA-1 ion bridged has more power than the SLA-2 in mono. Even the SLA-2 in Bridged is only twice the power of the SLA-1. The volume jump is hardly noticeable.

2. I run my SLA-1 bridged into a 2x12 8 Ohm 60W cab. Its fine on full. Gets as loud as my VHT 50 watt head OK.

3. IF you want a stereo rig, get the SLA-2. If you run a mono rig no need for the 2 - the 1 in bridged is fine. Having said that If you can afford the SLA-2 without compromising something else, or without pushing you finances, It will always give you more options/flexibility because of the headroom.

Headroom is the amount of power available over what you need.

Personally, I use a Carvin DCM150 that has stereo 60W/channel into 8 ohms and 75W into 4 ohms. I play live into a Mesa 4x12 and have yet to turn it up over half way. I just need to hear myself on stage without blasting the people in front of me. That's what the FOH speakers are for.

The selling point for me wasn't the price. It was the 1U rack space to keep the rig easily portable.

Thanks guys.
When I think of clean headroom I compare it with pushing a guitar amp really loud on the clean channel without getting distorted chords.
Maybe it's a bit different when talking about separate ss poweramps.
Anyway, after reading on this forum I'm 100% sure the SLA-1 would fit all my needs.
It's also lightweight and only 1u rackspace. BIG+++.
Too bad it's fairly expensive new here in Europe. All suggestions on similar poweramp model/brands are welcome.
Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Lemurstrat said:
Thanks guys.
When I think of clean headroom I compare it with pushing a guitar amp really loud on the clean channel without getting distorted chords.
Anyway, after reading on this forum I'm 100% sure the SLA-1 would fit all my needs.
Too bad it's fairly expensive new here in Europe. All suggestions on similar poweramp model/brands are welcome.

:?:

Im in Europe and the SLA-1 was one of the cheaper amps available. Its cheaper than any QSC , Even the GX3 (OK the SLA-2 is more than that one), cheaper than the Carvins and Crowns.

In fact its cost was another reason why I chose it over others. The 1U was another major plus point, as was the "bridge" mode (that the GX series QSC amps dont offer).

Lopp, I'm using a DCM150 into a mesa 4/12 also (4 ohms per side stereo, traditional cab). I have the DCM150 dimed, even at rehearsal. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something weak about my axe outputs. When I put my axe thru my mesa 50/50 I have to turn the mesa power amp much higher than with my triaxis. I have the global outputs set very hot. I wonder if i have an "issue"......maybe it's an output1/output2 thing.

jojo said:
Lopp, I'm using a DCM150 into a mesa 4/12 also (4 ohms per side stereo, traditional cab). I have the DCM150 dimed, even at rehearsal. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something weak about my axe outputs. When I put my axe thru my mesa 50/50 I have to turn the mesa power amp much higher than with my triaxis. I have the global outputs set very hot. I wonder if i have an "issue"......maybe it's an output1/output2 thing.

Hey jojo,

I think my 4x12 Mesa cab is set up the same way as I use both channels out of the Axe-Fx through both channels of the DCM150 into the stereo inputs of the 4x12, although I am sending it the same mono signal to each channel.

I also have a TriAxis, but haven't tried the DCM150 with it. However, I had used both the Axe-Fx and the TriAxis with the same Lee Jackson amp and I didn't notice and drastic differences in volume levels (although I don't remember how I had the TriAxis output set).

To troubleshoot, check all of the blocks along the signal chain in the Axe-Fx. You may have one of the blocks' output level set low, which affects the rest of the chain. Also, make sure your input meters are briefly flashing red. Also, by global outputs being set hot, I assume you mean you are turning the output1/output2 knobs past 3:00. (At the loudest, I usually have my Axe-Fx output knob around 2:00 and the DCM150 knobs around 12:00).

To put it in perspective, I play in a 4 piece with my guitar, drums, bass, and keys. They keys are kept pretty low, so I don't have to compete with anyone much in my guitar's frequency range. If you have another guitarist who plays loud and has his amp at pointed at his knees, but aimed towards your head, you might have a challenge keeping up. However, IMHO, such loud volumes are unnecessary.

On stage, I have plenty of volume standing in the sweet spot in front of my rig with the Axe-Fx and DCM150 knobs set around 12:00. Of course, I hardly hear myself if I walk to the other side of the stage and stand in front of my bass player's Ampeg. So your location in front of your amp may play a role.

A lot of that later stuff is unrelated to your TriAxis being louder than your Axe-Fx. I think each should provide similar volume levels, which brings us back to checking your signal chain in the Axe-Fx. Check some stock patches to see how they compare to the TriAxis.

Hope that helps.

paulmapp8306 said:
Lemurstrat said:
Thanks guys.
:?:
Im in Europe and the SLA-1 was one of the cheaper amps available. Its cheaper than any QSC , Even the GX3 (OK the SLA-2 is more than that one), cheaper than the Carvins and Crowns.
In fact its cost was another reason why I chose it over others. The 1U was another major plus point, as was the "bridge" mode (that the GX series QSC amps dont offer).
There are many poweramps that are more powerful and less pricy compared to the Sla-1.
Samson Servo 300 (165 Euro), Behringer A500 (159 euro) and some other brands.
The lowest price I can find in Europe for a new Sla-1 is 260 euro, at Dolphinmusic in UK.
Both Samson and Behringer are low budget and get very varied feedback from users.
The Sla-1 seem more reliable and higher quality. A safer choise I guess.

Another sla-1 question:
It looks like it's only compatible with 4 and 8 ohm speaker cabs.
What would happen if it is connected to a 16 ohm cab?
Would 16 ohm be just a small insignificant mismatch or full bore carnage destruction?

Also, if the sla-1 is on full volume in bridged mono mode + axe fx.
What does that roughly translate to if compared to a traditional tube guitar amp?
50w, 100w?
Edit: I found some answers to my questions in this previous thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6232

Back
Top Bottom