ART SLA-1, SLA-2, or Carvin DCM200L?

jtaylor14 said:
I live in Melbourne, FL. If anyone lives nearby and has the SLA-2, send me an email and we can meet up to do an A/B comparison once I get the Carvin.

you got it yet? Is it quiet?

The Carvin is extremely quiet. Can't tell if there is a fan or not. Plenty of headroom for most applications I'd say. At practice I set up next to our drummer, and he hits hard (like most drummers). I have the Carvin set up to run 100W to each side of my Marshall 4x12 in stereo, not using bridged (200W) mode. I run the Carvin wide open and control the overall volume with the Axe. If I get the Axe much past what would be 3 or 4 (10-11 o'clock) my ears start to hurt and I start drowning out the other guitarist in my band. I'm going to try to run mono in bridged mode at practice next week to see the difference. I'll follow up again.

I'd love an update on a sound comparison as well. I'm trying to decide between the SLA-2 or the DCM200L. Any side-by-side tests out there yet? :?:

If anyone lives near Melbourne, FL and has an ART SLA-2, I'd be happy to drop by for a visit to compare my Carvin DMC200L side by side. So far I like it a lot. Plenty of headroom driving my Marshall 4x12.

I use the SLA-2 and I recommend it fully. It'll be my power amp until I can afford the Fryette. One question though that I've been pondering, why does weight matter so much to you guys?

This is coming from a guy who's been hauling around an orange 4x12 and a vader for years, so I get my fair share of exercise just from that and I might just be used to it by now. But really, I just wanna know if it's enough to sacrifice what you really wanna sound like to save a few pounds on your gear. Sure it's annoying, but I get much more annoyed when I'm on stage and I can't dial in what I really want to. Would carry around 600 pounds of stuff on my back in the rain if I could sound perfect.

Back
Top Bottom