Are you using Enhancer for recording?

Andre Antunes

Inspired
Do you use Enchancer or stick to the old school method of double tracking?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Also double tracking.

And not to derail, but...

What exactly is the enhancer doing? I thought at first it was like a BBE, and I thought, "who in their right mind would want that?" But it sounds like a different effect altogether. Is it like that old trick of panning hard L/R and setting a delay fully wet at ~20ms on one side? Why not just use a delay if that is the case?

Double tracking. The enhancer wont be able to achieve the same effect without some phase cancellation in mono. But who the hell listens in mono now a days! I use Waves Doubler for solos and its the same idea, makes things wider. I havent dug into the enhancer in the AFX2, but I am sure in works nicely for making things sound wider if your just one guitar player.

See the wiki for enhancer : classic is a slight delay but modern is something else and is very effective

But who the hell listens in mono now a days!

Unfortunately, a lot of people. Back in the 70's / 80's , when music was MUSIC, and people put their Vinyls religiosly in their home stereo, Mono might have been more of a rare thing compared to nowadays with deaf ears, bad musical education and those damn CELL PHONES.

The only problem with it is if you only use one output live it does sound phase cancelled and strange. In stereo it's great but for recording, I would always double track.

I use it on almost every preset and tune the stereo spread so that the guitar sits well in the mix. Saves me time, and I prefer the way it sounds to standard double tracking. This is referring to the Modern version, not the old Hass style effect.

I prefer the sound of using a delay block, setup the same as the Petrucci Rhythm preset, just sounds better to my ears. Normally I would bypass that block when recording as I'm double tracking anyway, but I was mucking around with some recording the other night & forgot to do that - It actually sounded much better! Give it a try and see what you think.

Just to put it in perspective it is not unusual in a modern production to have 8 x tracks of everything (Lead Vox, backing vox, guitars, acoustic guitars, keys etc)

100+ tracks is pretty normal these days.

Back
Top Bottom