• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

    Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Are you using a " virtual amp & stompbox" setup?

Stompboxmode or Patches?

  • i use a virtual pedalboard (stompboxmode)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    26

stef herbuel

Inspired
stompbox mode..(i do patch if the song is a specific cover (u2 etc))
but i have in the stompbox mode different patchs, by style....
ex : country style : delay slapback, fender amp, ts808 etc
blues style : analog delay, short reverb, ts808,octavia, univibe , rotary
modern rock : stereo delay, stereo chorus

etc etc
 

Lopp

Inspired
Patch mode here. Mainly one for distortion (USA Lead 2), one for clean (Brownface), and one for lighter crunch (Plexi 2).

Sometimes use a high gain patch (Recto New) and a clean (USA Clean) on another bank on my pedalboard (GT-8). Also have two patches set up just to add Wah and Whammy each on this bank. A pedalboard based patch for the Wah and Whammy could also work in this setup. However, for simplicity, I just use separate patches to not get too confused by switching between patch and pedalboard mode. I'm easily confused. :p
 

Lopp

Inspired
Oh. And this thread could have been a cool poll for patch vs. pedalboard. Any way to add a poll? :?:
 

dongrosh

Moderator
Moderator
i use a virtual pedalboard too (FX1)

i configured it amp wise fromleft to right from clean to lead and dry to FX
So, from the left:

1-clean
2-clean with boost
3-chrunch
4-chrunch with boost
5-Lead 1
6-Lead 2

and that for all amps i use, so maybe Bank 1 = Vibrolux, Bank 2 = Plexi, Bank 3 = Boogie....

And the Instant Access are mostly the same.



now i´m waiting for the LC-Controller to get 4 more IA´s... :)

wilfried
 

Shawn S.

New here
I intend to do the virtual amp and stompbox thing as well.

I've been using effects (mildly, only drive, delay, wah forever) into clean amps for a while. Occasionally I like the odd effect but my real board just would get too big to be practical for me. So, my intention is the have presets for amp models and almost completely skip multiple drive virtual stompboxes, and create 5 presets ranging from clean to however mean I need.

Then, once I figure out how to program it all, use the rest of the buttons as a virtual pedalboard (I think it's called IA?) for delay, boost, chorus, trem, etc.

For the different places I play for, I can have different banks (if I understand correctly) so that I can still keep my effects as IAs, but have different amp/drive preset layouts for my P&W thing, my Blues Trio thing, My Jazz Rock thing, and anything else I might have going on.

The reason for switching to AXEFX for me, once it's done is not to have a million presets or a million amps at disposal, but be able to have a MIDI pedalboard where I can turn on and off my effects I need, and choose from great sounding overdriven (or cleaner) amp presets. Being the tweaker that I am, if I feel the need to tweak, bam I have millions of combinations possible between amp sims, mic, cabinet, IRs, EQ, etc.

plus, that occasional weird effect I wouldn't see worth adding to a real board only takes up 2 square inches of room on my virtual board.

Overall, allowing me to be more musical, and less of a tweaker in the end. That's the goal anyway.
 

browlett

Veteran
I use different patches right now. However, that could change slightly soon. let me explain...

Given that I'm presently in a cover band that literally does everything from the 60's through modern music, including disco, funk, classic rock, metal, 80's pop, grunge, modern hard rock & metal, etc... I often need to have very authentic sounds. This often requires very specific settings with certain effects (delay tempo and feedback, chorus effects, gain, whammy, wah, etc). I often need to be able to quickly step on 1 button and have EVERYTHING change & change to very precise sounds that are usually very different from what i was just playing. Stomp box mode would require that I do a tap dance. In fact, avoiding this is one of the reasons why the AXE FX was initially appealing to me.

Having said that, I may start to incorporate some patches into my arsenal that are in STOMPBOX format. If I'm going through a stretch of songs where the style doesn't change dramatically, I may find this method fun & useful.

If you ask me again in 2 months, I may tell you that I'm using a hybrid of both. The ability to do this is another feather in the AXE FX's cap.
 

Shawn S.

New here
browlett said:
Having said that, I may start to incorporate some patches into my arsenal that are in STOMPBOX format. If I'm going through a stretch of songs where the style doesn't change dramatically, I may find this method fun & useful..
Is there an easy way to switch how a controller (say, in my case I'm looking at the GC pro from VoodooLab) would operate quickly. So, for some band usage I can just stick to a virtual pedalboard layout with a couple presets acting like different amps (no effects but reverb maybe), and then do a couple footsteps that allow other formats to use a completely preset-to-preset control such as what might be good for P&W use?
 

browlett

Veteran
shawn,

I think it would all depend upon your MIDI floor controller and how many buttons / options it has. I would imagine that with something like a Fractal MFC101 (when it's available), Liquid Foot, or Little Giant type of controller, you could set it up where your lower row(s) of buttons change(s) patches & banks, while the upper rows of buttons can be assigned to turn individual effects & drive pedal simulations in the AXE FX on and off (giving you the option of using both of the methods being discussed in this thread at the same time).

I'm presently slumming it with a useless Boss GT-8 temporarily acting as my MIDI controller. So, I don't presently have options for anything but patch mode until I get something better.

Can anyone else answer this question better than I just did for him?
 

Shawn S.

New here
Browlette, thanks for the information.

I think I'm understanding. It's the MIDI terminology that I don't quite understand sometimes.

It looks like my choice with the GCP would allow me to do so. With 8 IA buttons, and 4 presets. That would be perfect. I get lost in the fact that:

- Do I need to add all 8 IA effects for each preset and disable them in order to call them up, or can I bring them in globally for each preset without adding a disabled chorus, trem, wah, delay, harmony, drive, boost, etc? If possible, I'd rather edit each effect for each preset so that I can tweak it to sound best with each preset, as each preset has a varying amount of grit (from clean, to gritty, to rhythm, to a lead sound - all distortion/overdrive wise) and therefore might need a brighter delay, etc. on it

- Say I'm using a delay in a clean preset, can I switch to a lead preset and keep the delay on for that preset while still making the delay act as a IA individual virtual stompbox? Or, will each preset void all IA effects from the previous one and will need to add whatever I am missing?

I think with these two questions answered I've got a good idea of what I can and can't do. And, if they're in my favor that's perfect.
 

Ikarus

Regular
Shawn S. said:
Browlette, thanks for the information.

I think I'm understanding. It's the MIDI terminology that I don't quite understand sometimes.

It looks like my choice with the GCP would allow me to do so. With 8 IA buttons, and 4 presets. That would be perfect. I get lost in the fact that:

- Do I need to add all 8 IA effects for each preset and disable them in order to call them up, or can I bring them in globally for each preset without adding a disabled chorus, trem, wah, delay, harmony, drive, boost, etc? If possible, I'd rather edit each effect for each preset so that I can tweak it to sound best with each preset, as each preset has a varying amount of grit (from clean, to gritty, to rhythm, to a lead sound - all distortion/overdrive wise) and therefore might need a brighter delay, etc. on it

- Say I'm using a delay in a clean preset, can I switch to a lead preset and keep the delay on for that preset while still making the delay act as a IA individual virtual stompbox? Or, will each preset void all IA effects from the previous one and will need to add whatever I am missing?

I think with these two questions answered I've got a good idea of what I can and can't do. And, if they're in my favor that's perfect.
Ok, I think you are misunderstanding the way midi foot controllers work. I use the gcp with my ultra. On the gcp you can have 8 IA and 4 preset buttons. You program the Ia buttons on gcp to send a cc message to the axe. Example: The 8 IA buttons are labeled with numbers from 1-8. You program in the gcp which cc number you want to send to the axe: button 1 on gcp sends cc 1 to axe, then you go into the axe and choose which block will react to cc 1. Example: Button one on gcp send cc 1 to turn drive on or off. This is global, which means that button one will always control drive in every preset. This is the simple way to do it but you can also program one button to switch many effects and you can also have some buttons that do different switching between presets.

I hope this makes sense to you, if not I can try to into more detail if you want.

Peace
 

Ikarus

Regular
Whoops, didn't mean to hijack this thread. Shawn, you should ask in the footcontroller section, thats the right place for this kind of questioning :geek:
 

Shawn S.

New here
Ikarus said:
Whoops, didn't mean to hijack this thread. Shawn, you should ask in the footcontroller section, thats the right place for this kind of questioning :geek:
Yeah...sorry about that.

I've since found my answers I am looking for. If I have any more, I'll be sure to put them in their places.
 
Top Bottom