Are you getting the most out of I/A assignments?

teejay

Inspired
This thread is inspired by the recent "labelling" of pedal board thread.

It occurred to me that a lot of Axe FX users are assigning global I/A switches, for example a particular switch may have a dedicated function such as Delay. I'm fully cool with the whole "each to their own" thing but this just seems like a waste to me because that switch is always limited to a single function. I prefer to assign that switch a CC which enables me to assign it to any parameter in any preset as well as a switch being capable of toggling multiple parameters simultaneously from a single switch.

So, this probably applies more to the users who are only using a single specific function for each switch, i'd be interested to know why you do it that way.... Maybe your needs are basic, maybe you've got more switches than you know what to do with, maybe you aren't aware of other ways of running I/A switches? What's the story? :)

T

I use about 3 or 4 IAs as global bypass switches for my common effects to toggle them on and off. The remaining 6 or 7 IAs are assigned as external controllers, and I use them as you described, to be assignable as I choose to any number of effect parameters.

The additional beauty is that, by using them as external controllers, you are not limited to a simple binary ON-OFF setting, but you can tweak the modifier curve to do what you want (i.e. when I press on IA 6 on my floorboard, it increases the reverb time from x to y, as opposed to a brutal off-then-on transition).

I would love to hear you guy's detail this more. I have used a simple patch change midi controller forever and am preparing myself for when the MFC-101 comes out.

I don't want to get locked into using it in the obvious way out of my ignorance of all the possibilities available to me.

I don't know, what I don't know!

Keep talking guy's... please!

I'm in a similar state of mind to Warrior. For my rock covers band I have about 25 basic axe presets which I use in conjunction with 10 IA switches on my All Access (in Song mode) to arrive at 65+ separate combinations, each one named by song title and effect. Managing this many sounds is hard work. I can't help feeling there must be an easier way but I guess the only option is to make do with a smaller palette of sounds... :|

I am curious also how I shall best be able to operate the MFC-101 when it comes out. Unless it also has some kind of Song mode the only way I shall be able to identify my presets according to song title is to name each Axe preset itself. This means I shall need to program 65+ separate Axe presets just so I can see the name of the song in my controller's display. :shock: Which seems wasteful. Not sure what to do. :?

Since I got the LFP about a month ago, I've been using 6 preset mode with 16 I/A's as on/off for specific effects. I started this way because I could label the I/A's like stomp boxes and never have to remember what in the world I assigned on that patch. Now that I'm getting more comfortable with the LFP, I'm also questioning if I want to change things up. I've considered going to 12 preset mode and then using the I/A's like CTL buttons instead of specific stomps. There's so many great ways to set this thing up, and all have the pros and cons - it's difficult for people like me who can't make up their mind :oops:

Back
Top Bottom