Are You Freaking Kidding???

The Theo guitars---I thought they were repulsive. I played several of them. They grow on you. I like them. The natural one is my favorite.

The Gibson one isn't my cup of tea, but it's kind of a cool story - made from an old sketch.
The $20k Telecaster - I don't understand. I had to google who Terry Kath was (sorry if that offends folks).
If it was HIS guitar - sure it's worth something. But a recreation...no chance of getting $20k from me.

Same here, never heard of him before. Not a knock against him, but I would imagine I’m not the only one to say “who….?”

And that's another thing: He's been looonnng since dead, and even though he's an awesome player, and way underrated, he's not relevant any longer. And I'm a fan. So again I say, who is gonna buy that guitar?

I'm sad to hear this. I think he's very relevant. Even still. His playing in Chicago was revolutionary. Legend has it that after a concert, Jimi Hendrix himself told him that he was a better player than he ways.

I know Chicago of course from the radio and my mom listening to them when I was young, but that is just one of those bands where I don’t think I ever knew anyones name, save for Peter Cetera.

Also being something of a “casual” fan, I always thought Chicago was more of a horn section sound, pop vocals, catchy chorus “Saturday in the park” et al.

When did this guy die ? Early in their career and then they took on a different sound or was he there through their whole career ?

The Gibson one isn't my cup of tea, but it's kind of a cool story - made from an old sketch.
The $20k Telecaster - I don't understand. I had to google who Terry Kath was (sorry if that offends folks).
If it was HIS guitar - sure it's worth something. But a recreation...no chance of getting $20k from me.
Gonna say, I remember Terry Kath's name popping up in 'Chicago'? Almost thought it might have been The Moody Blues, but trusted my gut. Yep, Chicago it was.

For those who have not seen it, this is a great watch.

He was beyond interesting. Probably a little crazy. too.

Tragic ending!!!! But lots of happy little moments as his
daughter retraces his footsteps trying to get to know
her deceased Father.

"The Terry Kath Experience" is a documentary about a daughter discovering the legacy of her father: the late Terry Kath. Kath was one of the founding members of the band Chicago whose powerful guitar playing and husky, melodic voice has been praised by such icons as Jimi Hendrix, Joe Walsh and Eric Clapton. Before discovering his full potential as a guitarist and subsequent guitar icon, Kath's life ended tragically at age 32. Terry's daughter Michelle was only two years old when he passed, only coming to know him through his music and stories from her mother. After discovering a box of memorabilia, Michelle sets out on a journey to get to know her father and to search for his iconic lost guitar. In this documentary, Michelle interviews her dad's family, bandmates and good friends, as well as prominent musicians, to piece together the life of her father, one of the great unsung rock legends on the 1970s."

For those who have not seen it, this is a great watch.

He was beyond interesting. Probably a little crazy. too.

Tragic ending!!!! But lots of happy little moments as his
daughter retraces his footsteps trying to get to know
her deceased Father.

"The Terry Kath Experience" is a documentary about a daughter discovering the legacy of her father: the late Terry Kath. Kath was one of the founding members of the band Chicago whose powerful guitar playing and husky, melodic voice has been praised by such icons as Jimi Hendrix, Joe Walsh and Eric Clapton. Before discovering his full potential as a guitarist and subsequent guitar icon, Kath's life ended tragically at age 32. Terry's daughter Michelle was only two years old when he passed, only coming to know him through his music and stories from her mother. After discovering a box of memorabilia, Michelle sets out on a journey to get to know her father and to search for his iconic lost guitar. In this documentary, Michelle interviews her dad's family, bandmates and good friends, as well as prominent musicians, to piece together the life of her father, one of the great unsung rock legends on the 1970s."

I liked that documentary, too You're right - it doesn't have a happy ending, but I knew that going in.

He played a lot of cool bits on Chicago songs, not just the solos. The fills in the chorus of "25 or 6 to 4", studio version, for example.

Here's a great live version of that song:

Nope, he's not playing his famous Tele. It's a strat that looks like it may have had the finish stripped off - ala Lennon and Harrison.

I'm sad to hear this. I think he's very relevant. Even still. His playing in Chicago was revolutionary. Legend has it that after a concert, Jimi Hendrix himself told him that he was a better player than he ways.
Maybe "not relevant" is a bit too strong. But he's not really spoke of very often at all. He was under rated in his day, and it just seems like at least 3 decades too late to be putting out a Terry Kath replica guitar. I've tried working up some of his stuff, and, fuhgettaboutit! Dude was a monster player, and his improvisational style was hard to beat.
When did this guy die ? Early in their career and then they took on a different sound or was he there through their whole career ?
Early 70's I believe. And yeah, Chicago went in a whole 'nother direction.
And the dude had a fantastic voice. Deep and mellow.

Maybe "not relevant" is a bit too strong. But he's not really spoke of very often at all. He was under rated in his day, and it just seems like at least 3 decades too late to be putting out a Terry Kath replica guitar. I've tried working up some of his stuff, and, fuhgettaboutit! Dude was a monster player, and his improvisational style was hard to beat.

Early 70's I believe. And yeah, Chicago went in a whole 'nother direction.
And the dude had a fantastic voice. Deep and mellow.

Guess the signature model has brought some new attention to him so in that regard it’s a good product

You know who got a freebie/loaner from Gibson to give us his compelling thoughts
on how easy the control panel is on the guitar to dial in at a gig. :)

Got his title wrong, though. "The Guitar Gibson Should Have Lost Forever."

I mean it's kinda cool that they dug out some history and gave Ted a little bit of a tribute.

But looks SO much like a crappy-ass Teisco ET-200!

There's an incredible Chicago tribute band out of Russia that posts on YT. The guitar players plays the parts to the letter.

Back
Top Bottom