Are these Fender Strat neck shape images accurate?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Always had Strats with the common "C" neck- Wondering how different the newer "D" shape would be? Don't have anywhere I can try one.
Images seem like it would just fill your hand a bit more. Seems very close to my PRS S2 McCarty 594!
I did search and this is the best image I could find thru google. Playing mostly my 2006 USA Deluxe Strat now and it is a C Modern, which looks like one side is like the D.
Thanks

1602534845147.png

I have the new Fender Ultra Strat (D compound) and a new PRS S2 CU24 with pattern regular neck.

I prefer the Fender neck both for how it feels to the touch (smoothness/stickiness) and how it plays (thickness/roundness). The PRS is a little more chunky, but still very nice. I'm surprised how I got myself to appreciate slightly more chunky necks.

I have the new Fender Ultra Strat (D compound) and a new PRS S2 CU24 with pattern regular neck.

I prefer the Fender neck both for how it feels to the touch (smoothness/stickiness) and how it plays (thickness/roundness). The PRS is a little more chunky, but still very nice. I'm surprised how I got myself to appreciate slightly more chunky necks.
I am looking at the Ultra w\rosewood. Can get a good deal on one. The neck on my PRS also is a bit chunky for me, but still OK. That's why I was curious about the New D shape on the Ultra.

So, how do you like the Ultra? If the professional had medium jumbo frets I would be looking at that. Narrow tall frets are a no go for me.

Liking the Fender Ultra Strat (SSS) a lot! In my avatar. Playability is really awesome, sound is very good. I guess the noiseless pups are not as raw, nuanced and biting as regular single coils, but I prefer no hum. Overall quality and finish is very good too. I did have to adjust action quite a bit, was way too low when it came. Also, compared to the PRS, there's some sharp edges on the trem, hurting my hands after a while of playing. Was a bit surprised about the weight too, it's pretty hefty. And I had a bit of trouble with the locking tuner on the high E, it had a bit of a sharp edge and I broke the high E string twice. Smoothed the rough edges a little (sand paper) and made it through a long show without breakage. The Ultraburst has no wood pattern showing through, that's a little odd too.

Compared to even an S2 PRS it is not quite up to those quality standards and setup out of the box. But, I'd definitely buy one again if I lost this one, same one in fact.

Compared to even an S2 PRS it is not quite up to those quality standards and setup out of the box. But, I'd definitely buy one again if I lost this one, same one in fact.

Thanks Henry...........I throw 5 springs on my strats and the tremolo bar NEVER gets near the guitar. Never liked them, never used them.
I tried a hardtail once, way back, hated it. The springs, tremolo block, etc, add to the sound, for me anyway.

The best thing for me about the PRS is it NEVER goes out of tune and the intonation is spot on-and I bend loads of strings.

Stratman68

You may find this page informative.
I have purchased 6 necks from them for various Fender bodies. Loved every one of them!

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

The SRV shape they refer to is the Modern C basically-that's what I have on my USA Deluxe, I think? I really don't want to just change necks. I thought I might some weeks ago, but decided to just get another.
Thanks for the info!

Just checking. I posted some images from google search about fret sizes with images of each and was told they were not accurate.

Gotcha. The pic looks like the one on the fender site iirc, so I was confused about how (or why) it wouldnt be accurate.

The deep C on the american professional jazzmaster is super comfy. The thick U on the AVRI '52 teles was also fantastic imo.

I don't mind what shape a guitar neck has, as long as it feels as thin as possible. Which a good V-shape does, which is why I'm surprised I don't encounter it that much.

If you have good technique (thumb in the middle of the back of the neck) D is best and if you are a thumb over and three finger guy C and V is for you.

Back
Top Bottom