Are These Dark Sounding or Clipping or...

Habuman

Power User
do I have a hearing problem. Just not hearing any clarity even through my Friedman ASC at a loud volume.

All presets from Bank 1 , 1 - 8. No adjustments. Latest FW, refreshed. Bridge pickup Seymour Duncan JB TB-4 on a Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas. Standard tuning. Straight into UA Arrow.

All recommendations welcome.

Playing through my CLRs I can definitely hear there is something missing with regards to clarity - however some of those patches actually didn't sound half bad so this sort of thing does really come down to personal preference.

My recommendation is you first find a reference sound, maybe from a recording or YT video. Then put a looper at the beginning of a patch, select your amp and cab of choice and loop your guitar through those whilst tweaking. Don't add reverb or anything else yet until you feel you have a relatively close sound. The point of the looper is to free both your hands so you can sit and tweak the amp/cab without worrying about holding the guitar - this makes it easier to concentrate on the tone (well for me it does).

Also, remember the Cab is going to change your tone a LOT, so if you are playing through presets built by someone else, then they might have selected a cab of their choice which might not be one that you like. I would choose one or 2 cabs that you know you like, and always try to stick with those in the beginning. For example, I generally use cab 119 with my Vox amps, and cab 93 with my Fender amps, and the Marshalls have their own cab (which I cannot recall right now) but that's the general idea - sticking to fewer cabs until you know what works for you.

One last comment, some of those patches sounded like they were too bassy, or the mids where sometimes too high or low; so when you go through the patches you should really always tweak the BMT to your own setup. It might be your guitar that is causing that, or something else in the chain but the point is the presets would have been built in a very different environment to yours.

Back
Top Bottom