Are there any videos displaying the difference between Dyna cabs included versus the upgraded ones you can purchase?

Purchased DynaCabs are only directly usable in Cab-Lab... You get full 360 degree mic placement, up to 4 IR slots and more microphone choices.

I don't think anyone but you can say much better they are... If you want certain mics, then they're probably the right choice.

I don’t understand the benefit of 360 degree mic placement versus placement from cone to edge.

I don’t understand the benefit of 360 degree mic placement versus placement from cone to edge.
You could always try ML Sound Lab Mikko 2 for free and hear the difference between different mic placements. You get a Mesa OS 4x12 and several mics for free and can export IRs. It has 360 movement in front of the speaker and you can angle all mics however you like.

If you want more of the cab you like, get one. Going around the speaker in 360 surprisingly gives a lot of tonal variation.

Nolly did a video a while back about the benefits of micing a speaker on the side of the cap with the voice coil wire glue vs the other side of the cap. It made a difference, surprisingly enough.

Just curious what the differences are and if it’s that profound?
Hey there Don. I took the difference to be a matter of convenience, with the cab packs offering that many more variations to sweep through quickly. If I understand correctly, CabLab boils a mix down to a FAS IR, with space saving advantages.

I keep my existing IRs handy for comparison, and I too would be interested in hearing skilled folks coming up with sounds via the different workflows. Cheers.

I don't completely understand the physics behind it, but soundwaves don't come off of the speaker exactly the same all around the cone.

A mic placed 2" from the edge of the dustcap at 3 o'clock will sound different than at 5 o'clock. Some positions will be more noticeable than others, but there is a difference in tone. I've heard it described as a whirlpool or tornado shape but again, the physics of it are beyond me.

This can be replicated to a certain degree in the Amp block Input EQ using the Definition parameter as well as/or tweaking the Speaker Impedance Curve.

I don't completely understand the physics behind it, but soundwaves don't come off of the speaker exactly the same all around the cone. A mic placed 2" from the edge of the dustcap at 3 o'clock will sound different than at 5 o'clock. Some positions will be more noticeable than others, but there is a difference in tone.
Cliff said…
"The closer you are to other speakers the more interference you get from them. It's even more noticeable as you pull the mic back from the speaker (again, not surprising). We actually captured the entire speaker for this Dyna-Cab stuff. I then auditioned radially and found that I preferred the IRs that moved away from the other speakers. I.e. for a 4x12 I preferred a radial line from the center to the nearest corner of the cabinet. Even single speaker cabs I heard a difference in some cases. For example, our Tweed 1x12 the speaker is off-center on the baffle board so it doesn't sound the same moving left vs. right." [23]

Also, the speaker cones can have manufacturing inconsistencies and/or age over time with use causing the cone to flex unevenly under load and those affect the sound. Being able to move the microphone around 360° helps us find the spots that sound how we want.

In actual use I find the built-in editor has been good enough for my purposes.

no expert here, but, wrt 360deg, I also understand that small differences between equal positions on opposite sides of the cone can also be attributed to location of the mic position in relation to the whole cab, and/or, proximity differences of the mic position to the adjacent speaker in the cab (in the case of 212 or 412).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom