Are new amps really needed?

I can tweak an ODS into a SSS, but I have to move into your house and shadow you for 6 months to get an idea of who you are as a person to ensure the tweaks will best accomodate you. I'll also have to goop your AxeFX screen and break all your monitors and USB cables, I can't risk you copying my tweaks.

Sounds like this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/new-amp-models.190311/#post-2362260

I tend to see amps as clean, crunchy, or heavy, and I think those food groups are well represented in the smorgasbord of options.

But there’s no reason not to request a specific amp in the wish list. There’s a perception that people asking for new amps are met with sharpened pitchforks, but I don’t think it’s that bad. What I do personally find tedious are posts that seem to imply there aren’t enough amps and want “more”. Nothing specific, just “more”. I know if I find it annoying that’s my problem, but it feels like just whinging rather than constructive requests for specific improvement.

Sounds like this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/new-amp-models.190311/#post-2362260

I tend to see amps as clean, crunchy, or heavy, and I think those food groups are well represented in the smorgasbord of options.

But there’s no reason not to request a specific amp in the wish list. There’s a perception that people asking for new amps are met with sharpened pitchforks, but I don’t think it’s that bad. What I do personally find tedious are posts that seem to imply there aren’t enough amps and want “more”. Nothing specific, just “more”. I know if I find it annoying that’s my problem, but it feels like just whinging rather than constructive requests for specific improvement.
I think there's more pitchforks than there are non-specific "gimme more" threads by a considerable margin.

I think there's more pitchforks than there are non-specific "gimme more" threads by a considerable margin.
I dunno, I don’t see many pile-on snark fests here. People push back and disagree, but that not really a pitchfork.

I dunno, I don’t see many pile-on snark fests here. People push back and disagree, but that not really a pitchfork.
I don't know that I've ever seen a wish post or comment that hasn't included at least 1 "Why would you think you need that when you can just spend 27 hours fumbling through deep settings with amp X to get results that may or may not be close to what you're asking for" response.

the pitchforks have limited cred given 300+ models already in the can lol! - no snark - the time to ask "are new amps really needed?" was back in the beginning when the dozen or so we had covered most ground. At this point it's "ya baby!, more variations!, more eclectic selections!...

Edit - nothing wrong with wishing for a new model - doesn't mean you're somwhow lazy for the wish as some here seem to suggest, Fractal feels the current 300 are needed and more apparently on the way so who's to say more are not needed.

Last edited:
the pitchforks have limited cred given 300+ models already in the can lol! - no snark - the time to ask "are new amps really needed?" was back in the beginning when the dozen or so we had covered most ground. At this point it's "ya baby!, more variations!, more eclectic selections!, more!, more!, more is good and awesome!
Right? That's my take too. With the abundant variations of certain barely distinguishable from each other amps I just don't understand the blowback to the idea of making the banquet even more complete.

I can tweak an ODS into a SSS, but I have to move into your house and shadow you for 6 months to get an idea of who you are as a person to ensure the tweaks will best accomodate you. I'll also have to goop your AxeFX screen and break all your monitors and USB cables, I can't risk you copying my tweaks.
Sure, just pay for your own airfare, food and accomodations :)

I agree with the spirit of this, but I feel like a decent number of us using Fractal devices may not understand amp circuitry enough to know how to take Amp A to Amp Z.

The tools are there, sure, but if you don't have the right knowledge set to use them then it may not be as "infinite" as it is for some.

I know this is all learnable, but it's such a big topic it's hard to know where to start sometimes. It also seems like a lot of learning to just, say, make a Benson Chimera from some sort of Fender.
You honestly don't need to know what bias excursion means etc. There is so much you can do with nothing more than the basic EQ controls and picking the right cab sim.

I've been able to match amps that don't exist by using Fractal models without ever doing any deep dives into the advanced params. As an example, a Bogner Goldfinger 45 SL is a cool amp that can cover Fender Super Reverb cleans, Marshall Plexi, JCM800 and Bogner Shiva tones. But guess what, you already have all those sounds built in your Fractal so you don't need a Bogner Goldfiinger model on it. How did I figure this out? I had the real amp and simply compared, turned knobs and listened.

My process for trying this sort of thing is to think of "what is the closest amp model to this amp". You can pretty much split nearly all the amp models to Fender, Vox and Marshall categories. If it's a cleanish amp, you can pretty much bet it's based on a Fender or Vox. If it's a rock beast, it's probably a modded Marshall of some sort.

From there you then can look at e.g specs of the amp you are interested in replicating. Ok, it has EL84s, so it might be a Vox-based one. EL34s? Maybe Marshall-based. Oh, the cleans are very similar to Fender blackface type amps, let's go through those. Knowing your basic "flavors" goes a long way.

But people want more preset versions of their favorite, rare or expensive amps. This satisfies their collector mindset and gives them the comfort that they can pick amp X and it will sound like it. This also helps them avoid ever having to listen for themselves or spend the time to figure out how to make the most out of the 300 amp models already in there.

Because Cliff and Team have so advanced the amp modeling process I look at my Axe as the best place to use historic unique amps that are not affoordable or discontinued. The more the merrier!
^^ this.
I think there's definitely some space that could still be filled with some more unique and rare vintage amps which were definitely more quirky than your "mainstream" Marshalls and Fenders. old stuff like Selmer, Vampower, Supro and maybe even Park. but most of that stuff is hard to find these days and especially schematics for the more obscure amps. probably the reason why we haven't seen more of those yet....

We all want the amps we want. If you can’t get it in the Axe, get a QC, Kemper or the new $200 amplitude plugin to profile / capture it.

Back
Top Bottom