Are most of you gigging with your FM9's?

I perform with my non-Turbo FM9 at least 2X monthly. It has never given me any issues whatsoever though I cannot settle on a higher gain (not metal) tone I really like. I have settled on the JCM800 model lately and that gets me almost there, using a drive to goose when needed. Oddly I have no issues finding a super heavy metal tone though I don’t need that at my gigs.
I keep switching around… just move to 2010 HBE and Smallbox…for Marshall tones…
Tried the “suggested settings” in the Friedman manuals for Be-50 and Smallbox… sound great and not how I would think to set them

Settings are in this thread

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/friedman-2010-model-with-friedman-suggested-settings-is-my-new-go-to….200073/

Last edited:
I perform with my non-Turbo FM9 at least 2X monthly. It has never given me any issues whatsoever though I cannot settle on a higher gain (not metal) tone I really like. I have settled on the JCM800 model lately and that gets me almost there, using a drive to goose when needed. Oddly I have no issues finding a super heavy metal tone though I don’t need that at my gigs.
Have you tried the Cameron CCV models? I'm using it for my 80s hard rock/metal tones and I know Yek calls it an "angry" amp, but they also sound incredibly good at slightly lower gain settings, especially with the guitar volume rolled down a bit. I've dialed in some really good fusion tones with it.

Dirty Shirley is also one of my favorite amps for higher gain stuff.

Gig mine almost weekly with zero issues of any kind. Has always been rock solid for me. Axe3 stays in the studio rack at home.

I use it exclusively. Never had an issue. Same sounds every time I power up and plug in - consistent and reliable.

I use my FM9 Turbo for 3 services every week at church. I use my AxeFx 3 Turbo at home. I got tired of dragging the AF3 around so I bought the FM9 and just leave it at church. Never had an issue with either one of them. Used a Helix for a few years too and no issues with it either....other than the "feel".

I mainly use my FM9 for live gigging in a variety of situations; clubs/indoor venues, outdoors/festivals, and live theater. I also do use it a lot for rehearsing/jamming and occasional studio use. I use two expression pedals (one spring loaded for a wah/whammy) and a CLR and that's it; no other pedals, etc.

I see the majority of people use it error free. I am happy to see that. I too have not had any problems with my AX8 or FM9 since I bought them.
I did say at one point a handful of people were complaining of problems that a reboot fixed. What I didn't ask them is what firmware were you on? Was it the latest 5.1 or earlier?

100's of flights, 100's of gigs over the last two years. No failures or issues at all. The only thing I've ever had to maintain is the footswitch I've assigned to 'Tap'. It became a little loose from all the tapping, so I tightened it up. That's it. The FM9 gets my 'Most Valuable Player' award for two years running. No doubt it will sweep the votes next year as well. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Have you tried the Cameron CCV models? I'm using it for my 80s hard rock/metal tones and I know Yek calls it an "angry" amp, but they also sound incredibly good at slightly lower gain settings, especially with the guitar volume rolled down a bit. I've dialed in some really good fusion tones with it.

Dirty Shirley is also one of my favorite amps for higher gain stuff.
I used to favor the Spawn models, but now I'm really digging the CCV tones. The JVM's are amazing as well. I may eventually change my gig presets to the CCV's.

Last edited:
I use it exclusively. Never had an issue. Same sounds every time I power up and plug in - consistent and reliable.
This is 'separate thread' material amd I will search now but do you take or even worry about a backup?

I have been toting small combo & pedalboard and leaving it in the vehicle. Not a huge pain but....

I've always had a backup in my tube amp days...it's 'best practice' for a (semi) professional. Have never needed it tho.

I got FM3 in March and FM9 in November and, not coincidentally, have been playing loads of gigs. I have every confidence in either and no issues to date but I can't seem to shake the backup mentality.

This is 'separate thread' material amd I will search now but do you take or even worry about a backup?

I have been toting small combo & pedalboard and leaving it in the vehicle. Not a huge pain but....

I've always had a backup in my tube amp days...it's 'best practice' for a (semi) professional. Have never needed it tho.

I got FM3 in March and FM9 in November and, not coincidentally, have been playing loads of gigs. I have every confidence in either and no issues to date but I can't seem to shake the backup mentality.
I have two FM9T's but one of them stays home. I trust it. I have contemplated getting the new Friedman or Boss modeler to throw in my bag "just in case". But I love my FAS stuff and trust it. They are all gigging units. I also take care of my stuff.

Last edited:
I have two FM9T's but one of them stays home. I trust it. I have contemplated getting the new Friedman or Boss modeler to through in my bag "just in case". But I love my FAS stuff and trust it. They are all gigging units. I also take care of my stuff.
And this here is the best solution. The best backup for an FM9T is an FM9T not an FM3 or AX8 etc. Not to mention you can literally wipe out your presets and banks and resinstall a backup copy of your presets and cabs from your working FM9T if one unit was to fail on you.

RIght now I have the FM9T and AX8 but I am contemplating selling my AX8. If I were to gig regularly I would need a backup and I love the FM9T so much it seems like the best solution albeit a $2800 CAD charge to the door. Still worth every penny given what it does. And the sound through my Redsound Elis 8's is exceptional.

I finally got my FM9T to sound better than my AX8.. In the first 2-3 days I owned it I couldn't. I literally felt my AX8 still sounded better. Now that I've owned the FM9T for 2 weeks that has all changed.

Can anyone say FW 6.0? I can't wait. But 5.1 is damn reliable.

I play through mine at church. Up until I got the FM9, I was never loud enough in the mix that my wife could hear me (everyone plugs straight into the PA system, no amps). Now you can hear me. The guy doing sound says it sounds fantastic and is always giving me compliments on the sound. I'm playing the same, but the sound quality caught his attention and now he finally turns me up. So for me was worth it to make the investment.

Steve

I don't worry about a back up, but I do have an FM3 that I can use if needed. But - I don't worry ;)

I play through mine at church. Up until I got the FM9, I was never loud enough in the mix that my wife could hear me (everyone plugs straight into the PA system, no amps). Now you can hear me. The guy doing sound says it sounds fantastic and is always giving me compliments on the sound. I'm playing the same, but the sound quality caught his attention and now he finally turns me up. So for me was worth it to make the investment.

Steve
I'm glad the FM9 worked out for you in your church band. +1

All the time.
I use my FM9 with my acoustic and electric guitars. I have found a great patch when I play this:

All the time.
I use my FM9 with my acoustic and electric guitars. I have found a great patch when I play this:

I have Cooper Carters FM9 Workshop course. It comes with the best acoustic and full band practice presets I've ever seen. I don't think I'd like a full band plugging into my FM9 but I wouldn't mind changing between electric and acoustics easily during a gig using such a patch. It is really worthy of it's acoustic components. Everyone develops presets for the electric guitar but few for acoustic. Also it's great to do a duet with someone like a singer who plays acoustic plugged into the FM9 while a lead guitarist can plug the electric into the FM9 simultaneously.

My purpose for being on Fractal is to replace my tube amp and pedalboard, so yes, I gig it, that's all I do with it. A few times a month.

Back
Top Bottom