Are most of you gigging with your FM9's?

I use mine live at every gig, usually 2-4/week.

Had some issues early on with the tap temp changing layouts, but that was resolved a year or so ago.

It seems the FM9 is sensitive to transportation? It seems many people experience wierd behavior with it at gigs only to find a reboot works. I'm wondering if transporting it is causing the problems? Are you guys not using proper cases and gig bags ?

It seems the FM9 is sensitive to transportation? It seems many people experience wierd behavior with it at gigs only to find a reboot works. I'm wondering if transporting it is causing the problems? Are you guys not using proper cases and gig bags ?
If that's your opinion based on this thread, it is very biased or you're clearly missing a lot of posts. You are so wrong.

If that's your opinion based on this thread, it is very biased or you're clearly missing a lot of posts. You are so wrong.
I don't get that impression from most of the posts but many people have stated they experience weird behavior from their FM9 at gigs that a bootup seems to fix. As if some transistor or something is getting a static shock. That's why I was asking about cases and gigs bags. I know 95% of people have stated they don't have problems. So far I use my FM9 in my studio and have never had a problem. But I've yet to transport it. Only time will tell. It does seem the latest firmware is robust.

I don't get that impression from most of the posts but many people have stated they experience weird behavior from their FM9 at gigs that a bootup seems to fix. As if some transistor or something is getting a static shock. That's why I was asking about cases and gigs bags. I know 95% of people have stated they don't have problems. So far I use my FM9 in my studio and have never had a problem. But I've yet to transport it. Only time will tell. It does seem the latest firmware is robust.
I'm not saying that it applies here, but I remember with switching units of the past, it was a popular technique to cycle thru the footswitches to avoid any pops, and dissipate any static prior to performing.

Actually, I wouldn't draw any such conclusions and would go so far as to say you're being a little paranoid if you do.

To say "many people experience weird behavior with it at gigs" begs a few questions of it's own. Starting with how many people is "many people" exactly? Are you talking about a number that somewhere over 100, or is this based on what I suspect are less than a dozen instances of posts here on the FM9 forum? Because if it's the latter, that's definitely not "many people."

I've never had any FM9 related issues when it comes to reliability. I've gigged mine outdoors in extreme heat, direct sunlight, when it's been raining, when there's been wind blowing dust all over. Indoors or outdoors, mine has always worked flawlessly for me. YMMV

I once had some odd behavior on my AX8 at an outdoor gig where the generator wasn't properly grounded. The AX8 didn't like that at all. It powered up, but didn't make any sound. Once they grounded the generator properly everything worked fine. None of that was the AX8's fault.

I transport mine in a hard case which it always stays in. To me that's just common sense to make sure to take whatever precautions you deem necessary to protect all your gear if you play out regularly. Again, I can't think of a more reliable piece of gear I've ever owned.

Relax, it's built like a tank for a reason.

Keep in mind that you’re very likely to hear the rare “a weird malfunction happened at my gig last night” here, but we don’t really get on and post “gig #76 this year, and everything works fine aaaaaaagain.” My FAS stuff is boringly dependable, just a non-thought come play-time. Hundreds and hundreds of gigs over more than a decade, indoors and out, line power, generators, you name it. I do use a power regulator, as I feel is responsible as a business precaution, but it’s otherwise cared for as is any other performing gear. Taken care of, but not babied. I use quality cables that I test from time to time, and I carry spares. I’ll note I also do not use presets pushing the CPU limits, nor any preset not tested extensively with the band at gig volumes.

My experience is not automatically everyone else’s, but my gigging life would be fantastic if all of my gear was as road-worthy as my Fractal Audio Systems equipment. Trust me, you have better things to worry about.

As a contrast to most of the replies, my FM9 has not yet seen the live stage yet. That's because my chops aren't up to snuff yet, and I'd feel quite embarrassed if I tried accompanying the house band on several tunes and falling short fabulously. For the time, I usually enjoy guitar practice as well as test-driving new presets from John N. Cordy or Leon Todd. Occasionally there are effects or additions thereof that grace this forum, and for these I am thankful.

Although it was possible for me to take guitar lessons with a local guitar instructor for several months, the cost became too prohibitive and have since been discontinued. I'm currently learning new ways and techniques via YouTube and Cooper Carter's FM9 MasterClass.

One of my future goals (once several songs become second-nature to me) is to bring my FM9 and an FRFR to an open-mic stage and provide some chord charts for the house band that they can work with...at least the house band is qualified enough to read charts when guest players visit; either that or they know enough basic rhythm that could accompany a lead/rhythm instrumentalist...

Regards the transport/glitchy behavior some have reported, I'd hazard to say that the only glitchy stuff you might need worry about is your manner of transport. Granted, none of us is the Big Bopper or Ritchie Valens, but since the consensus indicates a good preliminary soundcheck by cycling through your presets before showtime is warranted, it reminds me of days prior where setting up and checking connections/levels was a requirement, not an option.

Last edited:
My FM9, FM3, and AX8 have been used on numerous stages over the years. Some live events are just a 45 minute set if multiple bands on on the bill but most are 3 hours = 3 45 minute sets. No problems.

Yup. Played again last night with the FM9 Turbo.
Man...I can't wait for the gapless switching.....going to use the III for the next gig if it hasn't been introduced yet for the FM series gear.

I’m using mine exclusively for playing out, wether it be at church or for weddings/private events etc. and I keep the axe fx iii at home ready to go for recording. :)

Gigging and rehearsing the sxxt out of it, no mercy!
Im using FAS products since the Ultra, had them all! and gigged / rehears them all.
Most reliable piece of gear I ever had.

Last night was the maiden gig for the FM9 Turbo after 9 months of (successfully) using an FM3 Mk I since St Patrick's day...about 15 gigs in all. At the risk of telling you some of what you already know:

-It's possible to rationalize use of and configure just 3 footswitches even for a live setting but there are inherent limitations and hazards eg a tap instead of a hold. It can't be denied that 9 footswitches offer exponentially better flexibility and specialization for lack of a better term eg I always have a switch dedicated to the tuner and therefore the mute.

-I bought the FM9 new direct from Fractal but bought the FM3 used. The previous FM3 owner had, in hindsight, bought a slew of cabs. Some of them were useful, many were not. But as I built my own presets for close-covers act (two dozen or so presets) I was somewhat flummoxed and dismayed at the disappointing/unconvincing sounds of those cabs. I could have loaded in factory defaults but didn't and made it work at the time. I successfully migrated presets from FM3 to FM9 but in most cases the presets produced no output. Thanks to discussion threads here I used the meter level function to discover that cabs were simply missing on most presets for a simple but insurmountable reason: the FM3 'bought' cabs didn't exist on the FM9. I'm not sure I hold with the 'solution' of no cab at all but I fully understand the technical/logical issue.

-Lemons to lemonade: in an attempt to troubleshoot and make migrated presets available for the upcoming gig I began using the Picker to apply new cabs. To my surprise and delight the legacy cabs eg Fender 4x10 or Greenback 4x12 were fantastic and much better than those I'd ended up using on the FM3. Room volume or gig volume they produced quality tone. Legacy cabs may be old, relatively speaking, but that doesn't hinder their usefulness.

-I never had a minute's worth of problems with hum using the FM3. My typical setup there was XLR Output 1 to FOH mixer, 1/4 Output 2 to FRFR cab as backline or occasionally as a wedge. I also use a wireless guitar transmitter. I assumed my gate settings for Input 1 in the migrated presets were the same but haven't confirmed this yet. But I had considerable hum at last night's venue (with the usual shoddy wiring and lots of neon signs) when setting up. In that sense my use of the FM9 may have been premature as I wasn't certain of the best - or quickest - solution. I went for the global setting and moved the threshold to ~20 dB. I'm unsure if this was the best solution, the only solution or if adjusting individual presets is a better way to go.

-Despite these seemingly inevitable gremlins the FM9 did a spectacular job and, as above, I was rarely compelled to bend down to punch a button, turn a knob etc. except when hunting a preset or two for requests/encores.

-In a few cases I expanded a preset migrated from FM3 to use two amp blocks or other functionality unavailable on FM3. I noted that presets hitting ~68%on FM3 rarely touched 45% on FM9T. Perhaps a statement of the obvious but an interesting A/B comparison nevertheless.

Last edited:
Just wondering what percentage of people on this forum are gigging with their FM9's and how many are using it recreationally at home or in the studio?

If you have been gigging with it do you find it very reliable? How solid is the latest FW update 5.1? Does your FM9 act up at gigs or do your gigs go smoothly with it?
I perform with my non-Turbo FM9 at least 2X monthly. It has never given me any issues whatsoever though I cannot settle on a higher gain (not metal) tone I really like. I have settled on the JCM800 model lately and that gets me almost there, using a drive to goose when needed. Oddly I have no issues finding a super heavy metal tone though I don’t need that at my gigs.

Usually gigs are 2 to 4 a month…
Some smaller clubs/bars and also bigger venues and events…
It is so easy to set up and I know what it will sound like regardless

1702261406117.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom