Are coaxial cabs better, and why..?

From the link to Jay's discussion on coaxial loudspeaker systems, the coaxial design is necessary for uniform frequency response around the crossover frequency:

"A non-coaxial system cannot possibly have uniform response in the region of the crossover frequency over a significant angular spread. Ergo, the response of the Atomic FR in its crossover region (at least) will be noticeably different at different angles."

Nothing magic about coaxial designs though, they can be good or bad just like everything else.

Richard

The Eminence Beta 12CX w /ASD:1001 tweeter (and crossover) is a killer coaxial solution, punchy and loud. It really gets a great 'cab in the room' sound in a thiele cab.

I'll be trying the 8" version in a couple weeks, I'm going to build a couple test cabs and see if the 8" can get the same 'guitar cab' sound and punch as the 12 gets in a Mesa Thiele cab. The sensitivity of the 8" is down to 93db so I'm hoping to get some good sound at home volume. I know monitors are the way to go for low volume home use, but I'm trying to see how low I can take the volume and still get the sound of a guitar cab in the room.

Coax Monitors where you don't have to sell your mother for ...

I'm using 2 LD SYSTEMS Mon121A (12" active Coax-Monitor). They were really cheap, they are built like tanks and they sound great, especially for the price (about € 350,-/pc)
They are very "dry" in the mids, they have "balls" and really easy to set up. At an open-air-concert one year ago, they were pissed by rain coming from the stages roof - none of them got broken or did stop workin'. I couldn't believe it by myself - So I recommend them.

Cheers,
andy from Red Bull Country.

I'm using 2 LD SYSTEMS Mon121A (12" active Coax-Monitor). They were really cheap, they are built like tanks and they sound great, especially for the price (about € 350,-/pc)
They are very "dry" in the mids, they have "balls" and really easy to set up. At an open-air-concert one year ago, they were pissed by rain coming from the stages roof - none of them got broken or did stop workin'. I couldn't believe it by myself - So I recommend them.

Cheers,
andy from Red Bull Country.

Ok, thanks, merlin17 also recommended these. Have you also tried the 101A (10" model) (and did you read the PM I sent you..)? They are lighter, smaller and cheaper of course, so they would fit my budget (and back) better. Yesterday I also found a new contestant in my quest for budget, lightweight coaxial active cabs, I'll be posting a new thread about these..

Back
Top Bottom