Are artist presets proprietary?

Yes, it’s very bright.

I have a roasted maple neck and fingerboard Strat with stainless steel frets, and the Callaham stamped steel saddles, and ‘59 style pickups, and didn’t even consider how it would sound clean, I wanted it for the sound when it is into my lead channel on my tube amps.

Then I was messing around with it into an Eric Johnson type preset, listening to the lead sound and switched to the clean and thought “DANG!” It nails the cleans.

When my new Eric Johnson-style hands and brain arrive I’ll be able to sound just like him. :)
Whose brain are you getting?

That's fine, I DO believe in the power of sharing, and this community is one of the most generous ones I've known, whether it's presets, general knowledge and wisdom, and of course: Help.

The problem I see lying in the context of this very thread and countless others (specially on the Recordings Sub-Forum) is the sense of entitlement of certain people as if everything SHOULD be shared for "Free", just because.

Again, a huge thank you to those who share, but it's absolutely unnecesary to bash those who decide to make a profit from their work, even worse to harass them into giving it away "in the spirit of the community" as I've seen on a couple times, not only here.
Well said.

One of the important lessons we can learn in life is the value of our product. Knowing that what we do has value enables us to provide for ourselves.

The intellectual property laws are in place to provide for that and protect it and were initially put into the Constitution by Thomas Jefferson to encourage the country to be a hospitable environment for creative people. Copyright.gov exists to explain why the laws are important and how they work, and all members of society need to understand those things, because, if those who create can’t make a living THEY WILL STOP CREATING.

Not everything should be free to use. Not everything should cost us to use. There’s a balance and only the individual can decide which point on the continuum their product lies. The grumbling that everything should be free is naive given the reality that we have to pay for our expenses to survive. It only serves those who are taking and does nothing to help those who are producing what it is the others want. Find the middle ground and balance your needs and wants and your taking and giving. It’s much more satisfying.

Last edited:
Seems like Cooper Carter is the guy helping most of these artists set up their presets and sounds. His master class is pretty much the information he used to build their set ups. His free videos on youtube are super helpful, but the fine details are in the class.

Thats normal that they keep it secret. That’s their business, their tone. We are talking about Metallica here 😅, not that every musicians don’t have the same value but … this is something huge.
Concerning Napster, they were just right. Downloading killed the music industry, killed the small bands who don’t sell their cds anymore.
Now when you do an album, you give it for free. When you are small, and spend don’t know … some 1000/2000/3000 or even 15k if you consider all your gear in your home studio or studio session… giving it for free man…
Even at my small level, as I release albums since 25 years I ve seen the difference. Before we used to do have some money back at every album release . Now no one buy our physical records anymore. Spotify shit in our hands , I have a few 💰 popping sometimes that makes me laugh compared to the work it is to do a record .
Small bands now beg before their release , big bands got member that gives music lesson while touring … thinking of cradle of filth guitarist that recently said that he cannot lived just with the band . Lol. Cradle of filth 🤦. Machine head asking for tip every Friday on Facebook. What is this ######% world we are living in now seriously?
I am happy to have started in times were people was really supporting bands .
So yeah they were fucking right.
Internet killed movies, music and now video games with all this downloading shit. And gigs are more and more expensive

Last edited:
Yes, it’s very bright.

I have a roasted maple neck and fingerboard Strat with stainless steel frets, and the Callaham stamped steel saddles, and ‘59 style pickups, and didn’t even consider how it would sound clean, I wanted it for the sound when it is into my lead channel on my tube amps.

Then I was messing around with it into an Eric Johnson type preset, listening to the lead sound and switched to the clean and thought “DANG!” It nails the cleans.

When my new Eric Johnson-style hands and brain arrive I’ll be able to sound just like him. :)
It is a very cool strategy for clean that lot of people avoid. They will go position 2/4 or 5 on a strat first vs the bridge. But EJ kind of adopted this from his inspiration of Jeff Beck. Using that Hot Rodded bridged pick up (that pick up lies somewhere between a standard single and a stacked - depending on who you talk with) with the tone rolled down gets you a lot of his tone and even with the tone up too! It comes from his listening to country players like Reed and Hank Williams. GG does this as well. The guitar has this "pop" in that position that is cool. Works great with a bridge humbucker too - better on 25.5 scale. And of course Santana many times uses the bridge pick up with the tone rolled off - even though lots of folks think it is his neck pickup. It is a great strategy to clean!

Whether an artist cares deeply about keeping their presets theirs, cares not at all about it, or falls somewhere in the middle varies with the artist. Many times there is an NDA. More times there is not. From my perspective, many of the artists who won't/don't share presets aren't protecting their sound as much as they are the time and work that was put into achieving it.
Yup it is all about who vs what when it comes to musicians ....lol.

Back
Top Bottom