Are Amp Makers Adapting To Cliff's Techniques?

L

Lionheart

It seems that some amp makers aren't revealing their schematics to the public. Since this is a thing that Cliff relies on for modeling an amp, I wonder if they are catching on to this new world of modeling and adapting to it? Interesting to see what happens in the future with real tube amps and Fractal Audio.

There's allways been some that won't give out schematic's . I,ve had service tech's not be able to get a schematic to repair amps a few times. I wouldn't surprise me though if they start tightening the belt.

That's what I am afraid of happening. If they do start withholding schematics, that would be a point in favor for the Kemper camp.

Pretty sure Cliff can model an amp without schematics if he wants to. He must have done so with the Dumble right?

Eh, poor Cliff, he got ripped off.
I got a couple of hundred or so amps a couple of months ago, bunch of cabs, speakers, mics and effects and crap too.
Cost me around $2500 or so, plus a little board with buttons thingy to help me control it all.

Hey Cliff, if you manage to ditch that thing and/or scrape up a little cash, let me know, I'll hook you up with the inside skinny on my hookup. It's a cool little company from up North in Yankeeland somewhere in New Hampshire.

That's assuming you're not some kind of a tube snob purist type or something, of course.

Pretty sure Cliff can model an amp without schematics if he wants to. He must have done so with the Dumble right?
Here's words straight from Cliff, "The amp alone is useless without schematics."

There have always been builders whom didn't disclose the schematic. Some even pour epoxy over parts or all of the circuit board to hide the circuit. That just serves to slow the determined down a little and make it impossible for techs to repair. There really isnt anything revolutionary out there that isn't already in the axe (or an amp close enough to tweak to get the same result). Besides that if Cliff really needed a schematic he could reverse the circuit or have someone more adept at reversing do it for a small fee. The amp is more valuable than the schematic, you can measure actual values. The schematic just saves a bit of time.

How about you stop the name calling?

You're right Luke, if someone can't get great tones from the Axe II then they need to either move on or give up playing, I suppose those who can't get great tones will be offended, the truth hurts sometimes.
This thread was having a productive conversation until he took a potshot at me for no reason. I posed a legitimate question and concern. I never said I couldn't get great tones from the Axe. If I never got a new amp model again, I'd be totally cool with that. I can record great music with what I got now. Quit making assumptions that are false.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's left? If you can't make it work with what's there give up.

How about you stop the name calling?

You're right Luke, if someone can't get great tones from the Axe II then they need to either move on or give up playing, I suppose those who can't get great tones will be offended, the truth hurts sometimes.

I guess I missed something here. Who in this thread said they couldn't get great tones with the Axe? I get where you two are coming from, but I'm quite unsure of the relevance. I do agree that name calling is inappropriate though. As for the topic at hand, I wouldn't personally consider it a loss if it became very hard to model new amps. Hopefully it would push FAS to make more original models. I quite like the FAS amps. And from what I'm told, tube amps are all copies of one another. So nothing is really new anyways.

Back
Top Bottom