Arduino MIDI-Translator

oson00

Inspired
I was chatting with funkstation777 and he searches for a small MIDI-Foot-Controller to switch scenes in his Axe-FX II. He uses a Boss FC50 with 5 Preset switches. It cannot send any ControlChange (CCs) message for switching scenes. The FC50 sends ProgramChange (PCs) only.
nur ProgramChanges (PCs) senden.

I had an idea to send PCs to an Arduino UNO and this will translate to any MIDI-message you want! :) So we wanted to did this:

FC50 --> Arduino MIDI-In --> Arduino MIDI-Out --> Axe-FX!

The Arduino receives all PCs from the Boss FC50. The Arduino is programmed to recognize special PCs and send any other MIDI message instead of them. So we did a very simple solution first. I wrote a program to recognize all PCs 0-4 and send instead of them CC# 34 with the value 0-4. The default configuration of the Axe-FX II has set CC #34 to scene select. Funkstation777 is able to switch with Bank 1 of the FC50 all Scenes of his actual Preset.

All other PCs sending to the Arduino will echo to the MIDI-Out of the Arduino. At the moment it does nothing. But it would be able to send any MIDI-message to the Axe-FX! Sysex-Data is possible, too! :)

We build this Arduino MIDI-Translator and wrote a small program, that you can find here at github!
https://github.com/bbuehrig/midi-Translator

At the moment it is very simple. So feel free to improve and build your own simple MIDI-Translator! :)

Back
Top Bottom