AOTM - Bogner Shiva

Anthony David

Experienced
Hey everyone, here is my first attempt at reviving the AOTW threads that Fabio used to do. However, I'm doing it monthly rather than weekly, as per Electron Pirate's suggestion. Hopefully it doesn't completely suck and can provide some insight into this wonderful amp or at least encourage someone to play around with it.

First of all, a little note. There are several models of the Shiva that Bogner have done over the years. According to the Wiki, the model in the AxeFX is the 20th Anniversary edition. This is incorrect and has been confirmed by Cliff via private messaging. The actual amp that's modeled is the 60 watt 6L6 version. I had to rewrite much of this post after noticing, so learn from my mistake: take any unsourced info on a Wiki with a grain of salt. I will provide info for the actual model in question, as well as the other editions because there isn't much info available on the 6L6 version. This post wouldn't be very interesting without it. I highly recommend changing the tube type to KT88 or EL34 for the best sound though. I vastly prefer the KT88.

The Bogner Shiva 20th Anniversary is a 90 watt amplifier renowned for its note clarity and huge sound. Here is a really nice review of the amp: Bogner 20th Anniversary Shiva and Ecstasy Amp Reviews. Page 2 goes into the Exstacy, but we'll save that for another time.

The 80 watt EL34 Shiva is sometimes preferred over the KT88 version. Here is a review comparing them: Bogner Shiva 20th Ann. EL34 Review - The Gear Page

The 60 watt 6L6 is a very nice amp as well, with a bit more low and high end than the EL34. General consensus seems to be that the KT-88 and EL34 editions are better sounding. However, I am quite content with the version in the Axe and a few parameter changes.

The original controls for the Shiva's clean channel are as follows: Bass, Treble, Presence, Gain, Master Volume and a Bright Switch. The controls for the lead channel are the same but with the addition of Middle, Shift and Boost.

The controls for the 20th Anniversary edition are the same as the others with the addition of Mode and Excursion.

The boost knob controls an additional gain stage which makes the amp sound more like a Plexi. The shift button shifts the EQ to reduce mids and make the amp sound more like a Fender. The mode button is to make the amps gain more aggressive. The excursion knob is a power amp dampening control, meant to provide a larger sound at lower volumes and adjust the amps bass response. This is all according to Bogner's website: Bogner Amplification | Shiva.

Some models of the Shiva feature a per-channel reverb. Unfortunately, I can't provide any insight into the reverb as I can't find any specific information on it.

These are just personal guesses as to emulating the parameters not modeled in the Axe. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can offer better advise for these. To emulate the boost knob, I would advise using input trim. Engaging the boost switch on the Axe reduces note definition to my ears, it's just too much. Keep in mind the boost switch is equal to input trim at 4.0, so I would keep it around 2.0 or 3.0. To emulate the shift button, I would start with changing the tone frequency, maybe fat switch. For the mode switch, there are quite a few ways to change the gain character in the Axe. My personal favorite with the Shiva is changing the tonestack location to Mid. This will add some volume and make the gain more 'modern rockish.' The excursion knob, I would play with depth for the bass response aspect.

The Shiva is intended to be used with V30's. My absolute favorite cab to use with it is the OH_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_Studio-Modern IR, which is included in recent firmware updates for 2 owners. I believe XL users already have it in their devices. Almost any IR will do though, I haven't found many that don't play nice with the model.

Here are some very simple clips I made with the model. Don't judge the clips too harshly, I didn't exactly try to play my best, that isn't the point here. I had considered recording a DI and reamping while changing parameters to show their effect, but I decided to leave settings the same while playing differently, to show how the amp can react to differences in playing. I will include the presets I used as well, although you will need to select an IR. Hopefully the tone sounds good on your setups, it sounded amazing with my Mackie MR8s.

https://soundcloud.com/aziegler/aotm-bogner-shiva-20th

These clips are done with a stock MIM Telecaster. Of the clean tones, the first thing you hear is the bridge pickup using a very hard pick, then the middle pickup using no pick, then the neck pickup with a very soft pick. This is preset one, Amp X. Of the overdriven tones, first the bridge for the Metal Health riff, then the middle for the terribly cliche blues riff. The neck pickup on that Tele sounds awful with overdrive, so I didn't bother with it. This is also preset one, but with Amp Y.

The repeat of the overdriven clips is done with preset 2, which is set to make the lead channel more aggressive, just to my taste. All that's been done that's different from preset 1, amp Y, is to set input trim to 2.0, tone location to mid, preamp hardness to 4.25 and then use the Amp's master volume to control gain. Sounds beastly to my ears, but it doesn't really come across in the recording as it does in person. Try the patch and see if it works for you. I can't offer any advice for the clean channel except to max the master volume and keep the gain fairly low. It really opens it up, but it actually sounds good no matter what you do.

Here is a video of the 20th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks6HNPDBk1Y
Here is another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f3ANIms07U
Here is a video of the 6L6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJz9CPytkSY
Here is a video of the EL34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjqNQLp_f6w

As you can hear the Shiva is incredibly versatile and sounds amazing in the hands of a good guitarist. I don't have much else to add, so share with us your experiences with the amp/model plus any clips, tips or tricks you may have. Also, advice on future AOTM threads would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Bogner Shiva 1_20141228_135800.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Bogner Shiva 2_20141228_135805.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited by a moderator:
Minor nitpick: I don't think there's an EL84 version. I used to own an EL34 version, though, and it rocked.

The amp is famed for its clean sounds, but I loved the dirt channel. I also rarely played the clean channel straight clean--cranking the volume on the clean channel put a little hair on it that was pretty great-sounding. Mess around with it--it's a fantastic amp, and a lot more flexible than you might think.

I also found that, with a Les Paul, I got the best results out of the dirty channel by cranking the treble to max. YMMV, of course.

AZ, please confirm edits:

Amp: all models - Axe-Fx II Wiki

I didn't change the pic, which says "20th Anniv", because I'm not sure whether there are copyright issues with using pics from the web on FAS website.

:encouragement:

And I updated the graphic (uploaded a new one, left the 20th Anniversary one there).

AnthonyZ: way to own something you wanted to see happen. Nice job. The Shiver has been my go-to for years now in the Axe-Fx II. I love this model. It's the backing sound for my "big cleans".

Here's how I use it in one of my go-to patches: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=2981

And it's the Y side of the AMP block in my Trey A patch as Trey has been using a Shiva on occasion this year instead of his go-to Mesa MkIII. See: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=2982

And when I want a nice clean bed for something weird, it's usually what I pull up as well.

Last edited:
AnthonyZ, mad props to you for reviving AOTW. I remember I was a fairly new AF2 owner when the first attempt was made last year. And I agree, an amp a week was a bit much. I think one a month will work out great and give folks a chance to explore and play around with amps they might not normally go to.

I didn't change the pic, which says "20th Anniv", because I'm not sure whether there are copyright issues with using pics from the web on FAS website.

Looks perfect, good man!

Minor nitpick: I don't think there's an EL84 version. I used to own an EL34 version, though, and it rocked.

The amp is famed for its clean sounds, but I loved the dirt channel. I also rarely played the clean channel straight clean--cranking the volume on the clean channel put a little hair on it that was pretty great-sounding. Mess around with it--it's a fantastic amp, and a lot more flexible than you might think.

I also found that, with a Les Paul, I got the best results out of the dirty channel by cranking the treble to max. YMMV, of course.

I can not believe I wrote EL84 every damn time haha! Fixed, thank you very much.

Everyone, thank you for compliments and contributing. Jamie and Iaresee, will try your advice and presets in the morning, thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job....I really like the clean tones.
Going to try your preset....

I had actually never recorded something with the intention of sharing it before. Strange experience for me, I was rather nervous and it shows with my playing. I agree, the cleans come across fairly well. The overdriven sounds sounded much better in person sadly, I'll work on that for future posts. Thanks for tryin' the preset man!

Thanks AZ for your effort on this. The Shiva is one of my favorite factory presets, as I end up playing it quite a bit and I usually don't touch anything. After reading your post, I checked out the Bogner manual and it says when you engage the boost, the real amp bypasses the tone stack, so now I'm interested in what that sounds like. CC said in another thread that you could, in effect, bypass the tonestack by setting bass and treble to 0. So that's on my list for tomorrow...

Very nice!!

Thanks for all the effort here Anthony!!!! I really look forward to reading and contributing when/if I can. Cannot wait to try this amp!!!

Cheers,

Brian

I have used the clean channel for a while now after finally seeing the wiki tip about cranking the MV - before that, I really did not like it :)

However after reading this post I went and played with the lead channel for 45 min or so, and got some nice tones from it. I've added this to my list of models to further explore more in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent revival & inaugural post AnthonyZ!!
I used to love reading Fabio's AOTW posts as I don't really know shite about amps, but I sure do love to read about them and especially how to set the dials and whatnot.

I learn so much from these types of threads and I appreciate the time it takes to research and share your findings.

Honestly, I've not checked out this amp in the AxeFx until today. Thanks for turning me on to a new friend.
Huzzah!!

Thanks AZ and Randolfo.

I'm pretty sure that the "90th Ann" information was based on something. But it doesn't matter anyway: it's great to see info added to (and corrected) in the wiki. That's what it is all about.

Forum member CBoothe01 takes care of the pics on that page.

Back
Top Bottom