Anyone with a II try to cop an SRV tone yet?

I saw SRV at his last show at Alpine Valley here in Wisconsin. He was KILLING!! I felt sorry for Clapton for having to follow Stevie and D.T.
Can the AxeFx nail his tone? I have no idea! If I could have went onstage, and SRV took his guitar off his back, and handed it to me that night, I still would not have his tone. Why? Because it more that just a guitar and amp. You cant buy a lifetime of love and dedication to music, playing all day every day, jamming with different musicians, it all adds up. Stevie got up there and gave it everything he had that day. That cant be designed or engineered or faked. So here's a better question.. Will the tone of this box or that inspire me? That all I want from my gear. Maybe the AxeFx will do that, maybe it wont. I'll buy one and find out.

His strings was GHS .013, .015, .019, .028, .038, .058 tuned Eb

Those FAT strings helps too. Try doing bends all night with those... on a strat. Sore fingers for sure. But it sounds fat....

His strings was GHS .013, .015, .019, .028, .038, .058 tuned Eb

Those FAT strings helps too. Try doing bends all night with those... on a strat. Sore fingers for sure. But it sounds fat....

IIRC his guitar tech Ray Martinez claimed that later in his (brief) career he used lighter gauge strings (if you can call 11s light). Still sounded ridiculously good to me. I suspect he'd still have been a guitar god if he'd used 9s.

Back
Top Bottom