Anyone want to talk about Elon Musk trying to buy Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just quoting the two tweets without the rest of the context they laid out is disingenuous.

This is the definition of modern communication and media. Take a million words, pick the ten that serve your purpose and amplify them beyond all logic.

Add double standards plus floating definitions of things and you have the complete package. Leaders play this game more than anyone else. I wonder why :rolleyes:.

So it's all about networks of trust. You trust a source because this other source you "trust" says you should, not because you were there and actually know that what they're saying is the truth.
Journalism has a few problems these days as many have either slowed down using correct journalistic practice, ethics, journalistic integrity, and/or blurred the line too much between factual news and opinion. The ones that still walk somewhat of a straight line are threatened with extinction.

We used to generally know how to spot bullshit, scammers, and jerks. I feel I, and some around me, still have this ability (maybe from parenting, dunno) and I don't need some trusted opinion source to tell me what's bull, who's being an asshole, and what makes sense and what doesn't. Give me the facts first and separate that out from the opinion - my instincts, critical view, and tendency for cross checking and analysis will take care of the rest. I can't imagine society has somehow suddenly lost this skill - rather, I think there are many who's bullshit/asshole detectors are working quite well but they are preferring to ignore their instincts, maybe in order to belong, or maybe just to play games with themselves and others around them.

This 50 yo film saw it coming: real news giving way to "other stuff"

Journalism has a few problems these days as many have either slowed down using correct journalistic practice, ethics, journalistic integrity, and/or blurred the line too much between factual news and opinion. The ones that still walk somewhat of a straight line are threatened with extinction.

We used to generally know how to spot bullshit, scammers, and jerks.

For the last point....that's one thing that's sorely lacking.

After years of mainstream news sources being provably wrong about so many major stories and repeating the inaccuracies long after the truth has come out (often with video or other documentations)....and they still have credibility in the eyes of many....it's just shocking.

Trust in the media is at an all-time low as far as I'm aware, at least according to some polls (RCP, Civiqs). But, it's still far too high as far as I'm concerned. And, yes, I lump Fox in with that statement.

News publications having a bias is not new. But them hiding it and pretending to be neutral arbiters is both relatively new and completely false. Now...the big ones are also either liars or incompetent. They're not even opinion pieces pretending to be factual reporting anymore...they're often lies or just wrong.

That problem also isn't necessarily a political issue. There are left and right-slanted journalists that do great work. Seriously.

The good ones are often a bit harder to find....because a lot of it winds up behind a paywall. Some of that is a reaction to the censorship on mainstream tech platforms, and some of it is because advertisers don't seem to want anything to do with them.

If you're not paying for at least some of your news, you're not getting good news.

OOPS! I forgot to mention the FAKE religious fanatics. They hide behind the Bible but preach of hatred and death. Religion actually is the top issue that will and is destroying America and the world.
Separation of Church and State-Guess one side forgot about that part of the Constitution.

o boy! now we have politics and religion! - methinks the end is near!

anyway, before the lock, I have a point about lying: In todays social media drenched world anyone can call any absurd thing a lie (or the truth) by looking up some circumstance that occurred somewhere, somehow, to someone, at some time that disputes (or corroborates) any given report on anything (whether that report was developed using good journalistic practice or not). Anecdotes seem to be highly weaponized these days (and casually used much more often by everyday blokes) compared to the days before social media and the internet. As I said (tried to say) in another thread: nothing is absolute / black or white / definitely true or false - it's shades of grey and coloured by how it's told, which is why the slow death of proper balanced journalism with integrity is a sad thing and a loss for societies.

Last edited:
I could proclaim myself to be king of the world, doesn't make it true.
Not true, but if you had control of the media and news, you surely could get a lot of people to believe it and con them into doing kingly favors for you.

I don't believe anything unless I see the same information from several independent sources. Which is pretty difficult to find nowadays. Most of them drink from the same fountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom