Anyone want to talk about Elon Musk trying to buy Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
News is saying Vanguard has bought enough twitter stock to surpass Musk. They are now the largest shareholder. Do they want to preserve the status quo or are they just making money? Reading up on Vanguard makes me think they like Twitter as is. Big powers at play here.

Gates is no angel, but he's actually done a lot of good.

Everyone has done good and bad things. If you have billions, it's pretty easy to sign a check. The mindset of today's elite seems to be "impose my will and vision of society upon the masses". These guys are smart (in their realm) no doubt, but I believe they were in the right place at the right time and that is all. Certainly, their vision of society is no better than anyone of us. $$$ has created a bigger, better bully... and lots of yes man friends wanting to get their foot in the door.

Everyone has done good and bad things. If you have billions, it's pretty easy to sign a check. The mindset of today's elite seems to be "impose my will and vision of society upon the masses". These guys are smart (in their realm) no doubt, but I believe they were in the right place at the right time and that is all. Certainly, their vision of society is no better than anyone of us. $$$ has created a bigger, better bully... and lots of yes man friends wanting to get their foot in the door.

It’s called the Great Reset. BBB was to be a step in that direction.

News is saying Vanguard has bought enough twitter stock to surpass Musk. They are now the largest shareholder. Do they want to preserve the status quo or are they just making money? Reading up on Vanguard makes me think they like Twitter as is. Big powers at play here.

Chess game of the elite? As I said earlier Musk is pretty much alone in his stance against others of this caliber. I do see him as a little smarter and he also is a hands on kinda of person while others rely more on their minions.

Reading up on Vanguard makes me think they like Twitter as is. Big powers at play here.

Yes, big powers at play, here.

Consider Black Rock:

...and what they own.

The most-significant forms of opinion-expression in the world, currently -- the de facto public square -- consist of curated content: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube are the obvious examples. Couple that with curation of search-engine results by Google (owner of YouTube) et alia, and election outcomes have been affected, and close elections decided, by their influence. (Try being a candidate for public office in California without a good relationship with any of the above, and watch how fast you sink.)

Content worthy of debate, often expressing majority-or-large-minority opinion in the larger culture but disapproved-of by the prevailing corporate cultures within those firms, has a funny way of disappearing or losing rank within their "walled gardens." And let's not forget Amazon; it is the #1 seller of books, and not-infrequently responds to expressions of political outrage by Group X by delisting books or audio expressing the opinions of Group Y.

Yet these, are, as I mentioned, the de facto public square.

The idea in a democracy -- yeah, I know, it's a Federal Constitutional Democratic Republic, and yeah, every part of that is important, but even I am not wordy enough to say "Federal Constitutional Democratic Republic" every single time -- the idea in a "democracy" is that the people are, in-and-of-themselves, a "deliberative body," just like the House and Senate are. (Or, are supposed to be.)

In a "deliberative body" people don't just lock themselves up in their own skulls and make decisions based on their limited personal experience. They participate in "the marketplace of ideas." They get out in the public square and interact with neighbors and talk to people and ask questions and try to figure out just what's going on in the world outside their own household. Thus informed (not only about what the issues are, but what ideas are proposed to deal with them, and which candidates favor which solutions), they're supposed to walk into the ballot-box and cast an informed vote.

For the last two years, our ability to hang out at a diner and cordially exchange ideas with our neighbors has been, uh, somewhat reduced.

Consequently everybody's doing their "deliberative body" chit-chat via these social media platforms, which, again, are curated.

There is therefore a significant risk that the organizations doing the curating directly limit the conversation, thereby exerting yet more power over elections and policies than they did before. And...here's the thing: There is currently no way to prove that it happened, after-the-fact. It's a completely non-auditable system. They can curate to turn elections whichever way they like, and...who's going to go arrest the algorithm for election fraud? :rolleyes:

I ask you: In a large society of imperfect human beings, when there is strong incentive to cheat in a certain way, and potentially a large benefit if you succeed, and if the system is functionally so difficult to audit after-the-fact that nobody'll ever pin it on you in court...how often should we expect at least a little of that cheating to occur?

The answer is...100% of the time, isn't it?

So, yes, there are big powers at play, and yes, I think it matters.

I haven't the foggiest idea what to do about it, really. :(

But perhaps having Elon Musk control one of the de facto public squares, putatively in the name of free speech, would help. I can't be sure. But here's what I see: They're all controlled; but mostly they're controlled by people who think a certain way. And Musk seems to not quite think the same way as they do, not about everything. So I hope he won't even "curate" the platform, but, hey, even if he curates things his way, and they carry on curating things their way, we'll still get more diversity-of-thought, in the aggregate.

The idea of all public discourse being predictably shepherded into one point-of-view? That's the scary thought, for me.

Donning tinfoil hat in 3...2...1... :cool:

Yes, big powers at play, here.

Consider Black Rock:

...and what they own.

The most-significant forms of opinion-expression in the world, currently -- the de facto public square -- consist of curated content: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube are the obvious examples. Couple that with curation of search-engine results by Google (owner of YouTube) et alia, and election outcomes have been affected, and close elections decided, by their influence. (Try being a candidate for public office in California without a good relationship with any of the above, and watch how fast you sink.)

Content worthy of debate, often expressing majority-or-large-minority opinion in the larger culture but disapproved-of by the prevailing corporate cultures within those firms, has a funny way of disappearing or losing rank within their "walled gardens." And let's not forget Amazon; it is the #1 seller of books, and not-infrequently responds to expressions of political outrage by Group X by delisting books or audio expressing the opinions of Group Y.

Yet these, are, as I mentioned, the de facto public square.

The idea in a democracy -- yeah, I know, it's a Federal Constitutional Democratic Republic, and yeah, every part of that is important, but even I am not wordy enough to say "Federal Constitutional Democratic Republic" every single time -- the idea in a "democracy" is that the people are, in-and-of-themselves, a "deliberative body," just like the House and Senate are. (Or, are supposed to be.)

In a "deliberative body" people don't just lock themselves up in their own skulls and make decisions based on their limited personal experience. They participate in "the marketplace of ideas." They get out in the public square and interact with neighbors and talk to people and ask questions and try to figure out just what's going on in the world outside their own household. Thus informed (not only about what the issues are, but what ideas are proposed to deal with them, and which candidates favor which solutions), they're supposed to walk into the ballot-box and cast an informed vote.

For the last two years, our ability to hang out at a diner and cordially exchange ideas with our neighbors has been, uh, somewhat reduced.

Consequently everybody's doing their "deliberative body" chit-chat via these social media platforms, which, again, are curated.

There is therefore a significant risk that the organizations doing the curating directly limit the conversation, thereby exerting yet more power over elections and policies than they did before. And...here's the thing: There is currently no way to prove that it happened, after-the-fact. It's a completely non-auditable system. They can curate to turn elections whichever way they like, and...who's going to go arrest the algorithm for election fraud? :rolleyes:

I ask you: In a large society of imperfect human beings, when there is strong incentive to cheat in a certain way, and potentially a large benefit if you succeed, and if the system is functionally so difficult to audit after-the-fact that nobody'll ever pin it on you in court...how often should we expect at least a little of that cheating to occur?

The answer is...100% of the time, isn't it?

So, yes, there are big powers at play, and yes, I think it matters.

I haven't the foggiest idea what to do about it, really. :(

But perhaps having Elon Musk control one of the de facto public squares, putatively in the name of free speech, would help. I can't be sure. But here's what I see: They're all controlled; but mostly they're controlled by people who think a certain way. And Musk seems to not quite think the same way as they do, not about everything. So I hope he won't even "curate" the platform, but, hey, even if he curates things his way, and they carry on curating things their way, we'll still get more diversity-of-thought, in the aggregate.

The idea of all public discourse being predictably shepherded into one point-of-view? That's the scary thought, for me.

Donning tinfoil hat in 3...2...1... :cool:

It’s funny I had an old buddy visit last week for a couple days. He was telling me about Vanguard and Black Rock. Essentially the same as your post. And that conversation came about from us discussing Elon buying twitter stock and the powers that actually control social media, the mainstream media, and politics. They do not want someone like Elon disrupting that control. This is no conspiracy theory, it is in plain sight if one is open to, and seeks the truth.

Elon is for free speech and I hope he takes over Twitter, Facebook, TicTok and shut them all down and turn them in to battery stations for the tesla vehicles. Nothing but drama and bashing free speech any way so why even have them.

I see old Musky is at it again. Hyping his theoretical tech on the internet isn't profitable enough, now it's time for the old pump and dump.

I doubt that is his intention. He has complained for a long time about Twitter's censorship, and he has also talked about starting his own social media site. This is a potential "two birds with one stone" situation.

The way I see it, the only people who are going to really lose here are the ones that have been in total control over the information the public receives.

News outlets and major corps are all captured by vangaurd and black rock. It's a huge problem for the world and I think in one way or another this is needed to maintain some level of free speech but also since Twitter's actions/policies over the last few years has been against the public's interest. (though like anything the new thing can become corrupted or be attacked).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom