Anyone using the Axe-Fx with an Apollo Interface?

SlugAlex

I was wondering if anyone was using their Axe FX with a UA Apollo interface.
Was thinking that the AXE might sound great going analog through the Apollo, taking advantage of its Unison technology to stick a Preamp emulation on the AXE while tracking. Maybe I am way off, has anyone used the AXE FX through the Apollo?

I was wondering if anyone was using their Axe FX with a UA Apollo interface.
Was thinking that the AXE might sound great going analog through the Apollo, taking advantage of its Unison technology to stick a Preamp emulation on the AXE while tracking. Maybe I am way off, has anyone used the AXE FX through the Apollo?
Yes. I'm one of many AFX users who incorporate Apollo....don't hesitate, , the combo is awesome.

Spdif would still be stuck at 48k, even through the apollo correct??
I will have to look into this asap! was lookin at upgrading my studio a little!

Spdif would still be stuck at 48k, even through the apollo correct??

Yes, 48k, and, you'll have to keep switching clock sources if you intend to re-amp through SPDIF.

I ended up going analog and have a short 8 channel snake connecting in/out 1&2 to the Apollo.

I don't think this is true anymore.

Currently, I use AES for my dry out and re-amp input, and the only change I need to make on the AFX II is changing the input source to AES/SPDIF.

Here is Sasha's thread of the same: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...th-external-sound-card-audio-interface.97771/

You'll also need to make a corresponding change on your audio interface to be slave v. master. It needs to slave to the axe when recording and provide clock when re-amping.

At least, that was my experience and why I went the analog route.

You'll also need to make a corresponding change on your audio interface to be slave v. master. It needs to slave to the axe when recording and provide clock when re-amping.

At least, that was my experience and why I went the analog route.

Yes, that makes sense. I'm using an RME Fireface UFX. I believe its auto clock setting makes it a bit more seamless in my case.

I've been using the Axe into an Apollo Twin for about 1.5 years now. I have it setup as an Aggregate (Apollo/Axe combo) and honestly, TRACK WITH THE UNISON PLUGINS!!!! I only recently grabbed the UAD 1073, and it makes a world of difference as far as tone/EQ/everything. I will also sometimes use the aggregate for a DI signal (bass).

Guys, I'm looking to upgrade soon (interface) and struggling to wrap my head around this. Hope someone could help.

Sold my original silver face apollo 2+ years ago and didn't miss it that much (prior to owning my XL+, pre-UA thunderbolt and Unison) -- I loved the UA plugs but never warmed up to UA's console for low-latency monitoring. I know Logic and love it... really don't want a DAW inside my DAW just to record latency-free with other VIs, VSTs etc running.

I've been considering the new Apogee Symphony MkII (thunderbolt) -- pristine sound and low-latency tracking with no console kludges. As a more affordable thunderbolt option, I've also considered the Focusrite Clarett line.

But now that Apollo has TB + Unison I'm reconsidering a UA interface again. But my question is -- do I have to track through UA's console to take advantage of thunderbolt's low-latency? And how would I track with Unison -- plug into the Apollo's hi-Z and connect the XL+ via SPDIF? Or could I connect to the XL+ hi-Z and then line out/SPDF into the Apollo (I guess I'm not sure if Unison is hi-Z/mic-only).

Bottom line -- what's your round-trip latency like tracking through the Apollo thunderbolt? If it's sub < 5ms I guess I might bite the bullet and learn UA's console (I'm sure they've updated since I sold my original Apollo, because back then I don't even think the console supported routing of 3rd party VIs (not sure if I described that properly, I'm pretty ignorant in these matters... I'm just a bass player!)

I really, really miss UA's Lexicon reverb, Unison sounds great and I did manage to record some great stuff -- I just always struggled with tracking with latency and VIs (mostly Slate Drums).

Thanks for any insight!

Guys, I'm looking to upgrade soon (interface) and struggling to wrap my head around this. Hope someone could help.

Sold my original silver face apollo 2+ years ago and didn't miss it that much (prior to owning my XL+, pre-UA thunderbolt and Unison) -- I loved the UA plugs but never warmed up to UA's console for low-latency monitoring. I know Logic and love it... really don't want a DAW inside my DAW just to record latency-free with other VIs, VSTs etc running.

I've been considering the new Apogee Symphony MkII (thunderbolt) -- pristine sound and low-latency tracking with no console kludges. As a more affordable thunderbolt option, I've also considered the Focusrite Clarett line.

But now that Apollo has TB + Unison I'm reconsidering a UA interface again. But my question is -- do I have to track through UA's console to take advantage of thunderbolt's low-latency? And how would I track with Unison -- plug into the Apollo's hi-Z and connect the XL+ via SPDIF? Or could I connect to the XL+ hi-Z and then line out/SPDF into the Apollo (I guess I'm not sure if Unison is hi-Z/mic-only).

Bottom line -- what's your round-trip latency like tracking through the Apollo thunderbolt? If it's sub < 5ms I guess I might bite the bullet and learn UA's console (I'm sure they've updated since I sold my original Apollo, because back then I don't even think the console supported routing of 3rd party VIs (not sure if I described that properly, I'm pretty ignorant in these matters... I'm just a bass player!)

I really, really miss UA's Lexicon reverb, Unison sounds great and I did manage to record some great stuff -- I just always struggled with tracking with latency and VIs (mostly Slate Drums).

Thanks for any insight!
It is not nessecary to use the Apollo interface when tracking in logic, and latency is negligible

You used to have to do this but not anymore. Axe will now act as slave to audio interface whatever. I reamp via spdif all the time and this was a fantastic improvement on the previous scenario.

I'm using a uln-2 rather than an apollo.

I haven't run any scientific tests or anything, but I've never had an issue with latency at all, tracking analog (Axe FX XLR outputs into the back of the Apollo Twin) into Logic. I haven't tried reamping yet, but, of course, latency is a non-issue there.

I will say that they've updated the UA console, making it a good bit easier and more intuitive to use.

I use spdif from my Axe through an Apollo silver. Works perfectly! I don't reamp though... Since a pie amp was used to record the IRs I'm not sure it makes sense to use a unison pre which changes the impedance of the analog input. ..

I have a new Apollo 8p and I am going analog in from my Mk2 and using a few UAD plugs and I can't imagine going back to any other interface. The sound is massive and easy. No reclocking, no problems whatsoever.

You used to have to do this but not anymore. Axe will now act as slave to audio interface whatever. I reamp via spdif all the time and this was a fantastic improvement on the previous scenario.

I'm using a uln-2 rather than an apollo.

Hmm... I'll have to try this again. It's been a while. Thanks for the update.

Yes I am, I have it connected both spdif and analogue, sounds great on both

Greetings need some help with connecting axe to Apollo 16. Have them connected via Spdif and the clock rate is 44 on Apollo and 48 axe. any help would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom