Anyone using the AX8 in 4CM? Weird noise when tuner is active

marshall2553

Power User
I've been using my AX8 a bit for effects with a few real amps via the 4CM. I have the tuner set to mute and when it's active I get a fairly high pitched, constant frequency hum coming through the amp. It's not particularly loud, but is annoying. I've isolated it to output 1. It's still there if I disable my amp's effects loop, so it's not coming in over output 2.

I'm using a Humbuster cable going into the input of the amp, the rest are just regular instrument cables. But I don't think a second Humbuster would help, this isn't ground loop hum.

The weird thing is it's virtually silent when the tuner isn't on. It's like muting the signal with the tuner is introducing noise.

Does it make the same noise when the tuner is active but still sending output to your amp? It's in the tuner menu to disable/reenable this.

I'm using a Humbuster cable going into the input of the amp, the rest are just regular instrument cables. But I don't think a second Humbuster would help, this isn't ground loop hum.

where do you have the TRS side of the Humbuster cable plugged in?

Does it make the same noise when the tuner is active but still sending output to your amp? It's in the tuner menu to disable/reenable this.
The high pitched noise goes away if I don't have the tuner set to mute. But it's there in both mute modes. I've tried this with a patch that only contains an FX Loop block for 4CM and in a patch with just shunts going into the front of the amp.

It happens when I use the Humbuster going from output 2 to the amp's input and when I use it from output 1 into the amp's loop return. It happens with all of my amps. It happens in 4CM and straight into the front of the amp. However, it does not happen going to my FRFR speakers using the balanced or unbalanced outputs.

Can anyone else give this a try? An empty patch with shunts should do it or add an FX Loop block and go 4CM. Set the tuner to mute input and activate it. It isn't very loud compared to when I'm playing but it sounds like someone blowing a high pitched whistle.

Any resolution to this? I have noticed the same thing with humbuster cable into front of amp across multiple amps and power circuits.

Any resolution to this? I have noticed the same thing with humbuster cable into front of amp across multiple amps and power circuits.
I haven't found a solution, but it also isn't very loud. Glad I'm not the only one, I thought it may have been a problem with just my AX8 or something weird I was doing.

Back
Top Bottom