Anyone using String Joy Strings?

They’re my only strings now. My “shreders” 9-42 but my real go to is the 9.5-48’s. Killer tweens for my others. Also switched to their acoustic strings for my collings. Love them. Even have a stringjoy tee shirt lol. Many of my studetns have switched to stringjoy as well. Just a fanboy I guess lol…40 years of playing guitar I guess I have an opinion ;)

My 3 pack of Stringjoy Orbiters (coated) 9.5-46 has arrived and I changed one of my guitars today. All my electrics have been Elixir Nanoweb 10-46 for many years now. I've spent about an hour playing that guitar since I changed and it may well be honeymoon period and I think I like them better. I have tried Elixir 9-46 before and just felt the 009 was a bit too thin but the 9.5-46 felt very nice and balanced. Initial feeling is that they are better balanced overall. I also think they felt "faster" than the Elixirs with less friction when sliding up and down the neck. I have a gig on Friday so I'll use this guitar as my main guitar for this gig and see how I go. Next step I guess is to see how long they last compared to the Elixirs.

7-8 years ago or so I took some time and tried a bunch of strings, D'Addario, Ernie Ball Slinky, GHS compared to the Elixirs and didn't like any of the others and felt that almost instantly. Based on that it was a great feeling that the Stringjoys felt better now when I tested them. I have hopes and feel like I want to try 9.5-48's now 😀

Tried for a while but could justify the business model price point for my needs. I find the tone and durability to be a negligible difference between my tired and true EB strings. However, if you are in need of a custom set of string gauges then StringJoy is an excellent choice.
That's the decision really isn't it? I like GHS boomers which are 1/2 the cost

I guess from years on the road in Northeast Nowhere, I'm reluctant to get attached to strings you can't buy * everywhere *, ideally singles too.

Doesn't mean I won't try them ever, but between cost and availability, they've got a built-in hurdle to climb.

My 3 pack of Stringjoy Orbiters (coated) 9.5-46 has arrived and I changed one of my guitars today. All my electrics have been Elixir Nanoweb 10-46 for many years now. I've spent about an hour playing that guitar since I changed and it may well be honeymoon period and I think I like them better. I have tried Elixir 9-46 before and just felt the 009 was a bit too thin but the 9.5-46 felt very nice and balanced. Initial feeling is that they are better balanced overall. I also think they felt "faster" than the Elixirs with less friction when sliding up and down the neck. I have a gig on Friday so I'll use this guitar as my main guitar for this gig and see how I go. Next step I guess is to see how long they last compared to the Elixirs.

7-8 years ago or so I took some time and tried a bunch of strings, D'Addario, Ernie Ball Slinky, GHS compared to the Elixirs and didn't like any of the others and felt that almost instantly. Based on that it was a great feeling that the Stringjoys felt better now when I tested them. I have hopes and feel like I want to try 9.5-48's now 😀
I've been using the 9/5-48's for about 4-5 years now. For me they are the perfect balance. I tend to be a bend-centric lead player so my fingers take less abuse on the hi end and the chunky low feels just right.

That's the decision really isn't it? I like GHS boomers which are 1/2 the cost
I'm in the same boat. I've found several brands that seem to last a bit longer than my tried and true Ernie Ball hybrid (9-46) sets, but for me, cost is more of a consideration than time spent changing strings these days.

They've got some nice hybrid sets if you're very particular about the gauges and string tension. Just pricey.
I put a 9.5-46 on a 25" scale PRS for treble string slinkiness, and a 10-48 on a 24.75" LP Special to get a little heaver bass strings.

My fav tension is 10-46 on LP scales. usually d'addario or EB. whatever is cheaper at the moment.
For Strat scales the same tension is not 9s, but 9.5-44... D'Addario (or EB) have those. So that's where I go with those.

I've been using Elixirs since 2012 so I find it hard to even think about trying other brands. I dig what they're doing though - more companies need to offer custom gauge sets.

Yes indeed! I have played many different brands over the years. IMHO Thomastik-Infeld makes the best strings - but at a premium price point.
I would say that String Joy is closing in on them for quality and durability for electric guitar. (not including T-I's fantastic flat wounds - no manufacture even comes close to the George Benson flats. Just ask Pat Metheny)
BUT with String Joy you can customize the gages of your sets! I love that feature and it has been very helpful to me.

Back
Top Bottom